FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Nest Wifi

CP4321
First Timer
Message 18 of 18

Hi,

I have the TalkTalk Faster Fibre 150 product which comes with the TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub and a separate OpenReach modem that supports G.fast.  The Wifi is unreliable in the back bedroom of my house where I am currently working from home.  This is the furthest point in the house from the Wi-Fi hub so is not unexpected.  I have tried a range extender placed in a room above the TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub and this made the performance worse for all devices in the house as they kept connecting to the wrong (furthest) point so I returned the extender.

I'm considering a mesh solution such as Google Nest Wifi.  If I use this does it replace the TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub or will I need three boxes (OpenReach Modem, Talktalk Wi-Fi Hub and Nest Wifi router)?

Thanks,

Chris

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

Message 1 of 18

Hi Stanmag,

What settings did you use for it to work with the Sagemcom modem?. Are you using more than one google next to create a mesh network?. Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 18

Hi Stanmag, did you manage to resolve this. I can get as single google point to work but as soon as I add a second device the mesh continually reboots. I have connected straight to the ethernet port on the white wall box removing the black Sagemcom router all together.

Thanks

0 Likes

beerfuelleddude
First Timer
Message 3 of 18

Hopefully this helps someone...i have FTTH which is a big white box on the wall with cat cable coming out of it. This was connected to my talktalk router...i had assumed this was necessary for modem/authentication.

My nest router was connected to talktalk on the back and just ran wifi off that.

Turns out that’s all wrong and i didn’t need the talktalk router at all. So now that cat cable goes directly into the nest router and then connected to my switches for LAN stuff. No talktalk router at all now.

I used http://testwifi.here/api/v1/status to see that the nest router gateway ip was internal type (192.xx etc) and that the talktalk router didn’t offer bridge or modem only mode. Now the nest router is using a public ip for the gateway.

Fingers crossed it fixes the problems i was having. Hope it helps someone else too 

Message 4 of 18

I suspect the main issue actually arises when trying to connect a 2nd point to create a mesh.  at least that's what I found with a quick google search.

Interesting to hear about leaving the talktalk wifi up too....  i guess if the 2nd point doesn't work, and you have a long network cable you could just set up 2 wifi networks.   obviously not ideal, but may be a workaround for far off stationary devices etc.   

0 Likes

Message 5 of 18

hi @Olie  I was worried about the double NAT issue as well but it turned out to be a non-issue for me.

- I was able to plug in the Google Nest wifi directly into the ethernet port of the TalkTalk Sagemcom hub and get it to work rightaway following the on-screen instructions from Google.

- Once it is set up, you can then see 2 wifi networks on your devices: one from TalkTalk and one from your new Google wifi router. There are a couple of options at this point:
Option A: go into the Sagemcom admin panel and turn off the wifi or something like that: it's an option somewhere in there. 

Option B: leave the Sagemcom settings as is, and only use the Google wifi for your devices. 

I ended up going with option B for the following reasons:
- for some reason my Sky Box didn't like the Google wifi network and would lose connectivity every 24h so I had to connect it to the TalkTalk network instead. This is the only device in the house connected to the TalkTalk network, everything else is connected to the Google wifi.

- to avoid devices getting confused between both networks, I simply made sure, for each device previously connected to the TalkTalk network, to click on 'forget this network'. Never had a problem.  

0 Likes

Message 6 of 18

@Olie      Sorry to disappoint, but i never ended chasing this up.   

As far as i could gather, using a single nest isn't too much of an issue, just turn wifi off on the talktalk router.   If i recall, i did have this working fine.   but i couldnt see the benefit of this over just using the talktalk router, so never continued its use. 

Issues arose when trying to get the 2nd point up and running.   Was going to contact google to help but haven't had chance.   

i've been a bit lapse with it as, to be honest, I'm not hugely motivated as the nest was going spare and was a freebie to try out and tinker with - I haven't invested anything in it - i just quite fancied the idea of a mesh network and getting some signal out into the garden.   Plus it looks a lot better, so was planning on improving visual impact as my router location is quite visible. 

In reality, i've never had an issue with the talktalk router and get pretty good coverage throughout the entire house hence the low motivation to try again.

I would be interested to hear if you make any progress though!   An additional smart speaker, improved looks and signal to the garden still have me thinking about it now and again.  🙂   

0 Likes

Message 7 of 18

Hi @Stanmag 

Hi @SH4RKY 

I've recently purchased the same Nest Wifi router and point kit to create a mesh network and need to connect it with my existing TalkTalk Sagecom wifi hub but not sure how to do this correctly. You seem to have resolved the problem, may ask how you got round the issue of ‘double NAT’, given the Sagecom hub is a router and modem. I spoken to the TalkTalk tech team to see if its possible to reconfigure the hub to a modem only or could advise on the best way to set it up but unfortunately they weren't very helpful. If you can provide any further insight or help with set-up it would be much appreciated. Many thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 18

Hi @SH4RKY 

Did you manage to set up the Nest successfully? I've recently purchased the same Nest Wifi router and point kit to create a mesh network and need to connect it with my existing TalkTalk Sagecom wifi hub but not sure how to do this correctly. I've read a lot about ‘double NAT’ and not sure how to get round this issue given the Sagecom hub is a router and modem. I spoken to the TalkTalk tech team to see if its possible to reconfigure the hub to a modem only or could advise on the best way to set it up but unfortunately they weren't very helpful. If you can provide any further insight or help with set-up it would be much appreciated. Many thanks

0 Likes

Message 9 of 18
I contacted the Google Wifi online chat support 🙂

Message 10 of 18

What steps did you take to resolve the issue?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 18

Thanks for replying.   

I tried hooking up the google to one of the network ports, but had several issues and it wouldnt connect the 2nd google point.    Will have another go and perhaps contact google assist. 

Did you turn off the talktalk hubs wifi to avoid conflict?   

Message 12 of 18

I didn’t change any setting. I had basically plugged it in the wrong port (embarrassing I know). The Google wifi hub just needs to be plugged into one of the yellow ethernet ports in the back of the Sagemcom box. Google chat support is very helpful if necessary 

0 Likes

Message 13 of 18

Hi,   

Out of interest, what settings did you apply to get this working?  

I have a talktalk sagemcom wifi router and Google Nest (and point) and initial test hook up wasnt successful!

Thanks for any tips / help

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 14 of 18

Hi Stanmag,

Thanks for keeping us updated 🙂

Thanks

Message 15 of 18

Ok, i have to walk back my comments above. I was able to fix it after a quick chat with the Google chat support. My Google wifi hub now works perfectly with my Talk Talk sagemcom box

0 Likes

Message 16 of 18

I just read this after unpacking my Google Nest and trying to figure out why it kept saying the WAN connection (to the Talk Talk router) wasn’t working. That’s not Talk Talk’s fault but I’m very disappointed. I was looking forward to using the Google Nest router notably for the family features to manage usage of certain gapps and services on my home network. I’ve researched the issue and it doesn’t seem easy to find a fix. Can I get a simple modem instead of the router provided by Talk Talk?

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 17 of 18

Hi Chris,

Sorry for the delayed reply, we're doing our best in these unprecedented circumstances due to the Corona virus to answer everyone as quickly as possible.

Sorry I don't know much about nest but I think the nest router will replace the TalkTalk router - please take a look at this blog, it may help - Wi-Fi mesh, everything you need to know

Chris

Hey ,