FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Stadia Problems

espbss
Chatterbox
Message 15 of 15

Hello, I just had 500Mb FTTP  installed a couple of weeks ago, and everything works great, apart from I have problems streaming games on Google Stadia. I've been using Stadia for a while including with my old ISP which struggled to hit 40Mb on a good day, but Stadia ran absolutely fine on it (unless someone else started streaming a move or similar).

Here's what's happening:

- I'm using Chromecast with Google TV, connected to wifi

- I have both the Chromecast and controller connected to a 5ghz channel

- The router is in the same room as the Chromecast, and on my phone i'm getting a max of 450-460 mbps, averaging 400, and a ping of between 6 and 10 ms according to fast.com. The Chromecast pulls down about 230 Mb/sec but I'd expect that vs  my phone

- I don't think my channel is particularly congested especially given it worked on my old ISP but  trying to change channel I can't as it looks as if wifi optimisation changes it back periodically

Stadia works great for a period, with no input latency and no compression artefacts but periodically the entire service freezes dead, disconnects the controller and turfs me out of the game. This didn't happen with my old ISP

Any thoughts? Unfortunately I cannot try over ethernet which I know would identify if it's a wifi issue, it worked fine on my old ISP with an in theory less capable router. 

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 1 of 15

Apart from me not making the support rules for future fibre, one point I will add is that if you are in a new build property, then you could have WiFi problems. If there is insulation in your internal walls, that is often covered in aluminium foil or similar. Any form of metal will kill a WiFi signal stone dead. That is nothing to do with TalkTalk equipment, but a matter of physics.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

espbss
Chatterbox
Message 2 of 15

I think given it's a fairly esoteric question, it wasn't an unreasonable approach to ask the community and that's what the chap I spoke to on the phone suggested. I did a search for 'Stadia' first and saw a small number of queries about other cloud gaming services with one saying Stadia works perfectly for them, and given I didn't experience this problem on my old ISP that performed pretty poorly (IMO because our small village has grown by several thousand new builds in recent years) my suspicion remains it's related to the router. It was the fact that I get thrown out like an utter sack of spuds from the game, rather than experience a degradation in performance, latency or the appearance of compression artefacts that makes me think it could have been some other problem that was worth running past other Talk Talk users.

I suspect my next step is to either buy an ethernet adapter for the CCGTV and run some cable from the router or try another router with Google Nest being a good option as it has optimisation options for prioritising Stadia traffic.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 3 of 15

Of course I did say that Future Fibre is not currently supported on this forum......

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 15

If try register the first field requests my account number, and it's mandatory

0 Likes

Message 5 of 15

I haven't I'm afraid, just been with TalkTalk a touch over 2 weeks.

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 6 of 15

@espbss  have you had a bill yet ?

For us mere mortals on Fibre 35/65, account numbers appear on the bill.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 15

Hi espbss,

I can see that Keith has pointed you to our Future fibre support team, they should be able to help

Chris

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 8 of 15

Despite what I said in my last post, the account number is also quoted in MyAccount.

Keith

0 Likes

espbss
Chatterbox
Message 9 of 15

Unfortunately looks like I still need an account number. A search through my emails shows a order number, I don't see anything else.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 10 of 15

Hi @martswain point taken. In that case, the current support arrangements for future fibre is to go to:-

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/FutureFibre/bd-p/FutureFibrehttps://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/... 

Keith

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 11 of 15

@KeithFrench , customer has Future Fibre - Data Only !

They could also possibly be one of those unfortunates who have not been able to register an online account.

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 12 of 15

Just log into MyAccount & you will easily see your landline number quoted there. Then you just add that to your Community Profile. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith

0 Likes

espbss
Chatterbox
Message 13 of 15

Hi Keith, I do yes. I think I might need my account number linked to my profile to make the request here. I've never been given one, I just got off a support call to have it emailed to me. They did say they didn;t think they did wifi optimisation anymore.... I can change the 2.4 channel and it remains, 5ghz reverts after a while.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 14 of 15

So have you got the Sagemcom FAST5364 router then? You can have Wi-Fi optimisation disabled if you want, you just have to request it on here & TalkTalk will disable it for you. You cannot do this yourself.

Keith

0 Likes