on 13-03-2019 10:15 PM
I have a HG633 Router, which has worked well for as long as I've had it. However, over the last week or so the speed I'm getting has dropped dramatically.
It isn't the fibre speed itself, as that is close to the maximum when using a wired connection.
Ordinarily, I get around 60-70Mbps wireless on the 5Ghz frequency (I've separated the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz so we always get the faster speeds over wireless.)
Over the last week, the speed has dropped from 50Mbps, to 30Mbps, and yesterday to 4Mbps! If I restart the router, the speed manages about 35Mbps. The connection to the cabinet is almost 80Mbps, and wired network tests show around 75Mbps.
If I try the 2.4Ghz frequency, I might as well go back to dialup!
I've run a test on the TT help section, which didn't detect any line issues, but did tell me that the router is rather old and could need replacing.
Could it just be that these issues are because the router is old and knackered now??
If an OCR could help me get this problem sorted, that would be great!
on 09-04-2019 02:35 PM
on 09-04-2019 02:31 PM
on 09-04-2019 12:29 PM
The good news is that a WiFi speed test produces a speed that is closer to what we’d expect, and is close to the connection speed.
However... The actual connection speed has dropped dramatically. I’ve attached a screenshot to show the line speed and connection speed.
Before the update, the line was connecting at around 90Mbps download and around 23Mbps upload IIRC.
Could the firmware update have caused a DLM reset in the cabinet?
on 09-04-2019 08:46 AM
08-04-2019 09:53 PM - edited 08-04-2019 09:55 PM
I did this the last time I did a reset, then I restored from a config file.
I noticed that I’d previously disabled remote management, so I’ve re-enabled that now.
I’ve attached a screenshot, where you can see that the current firmware version is 1.15t.
on 08-04-2019 11:31 AM
Please can you factory reset your router using the pin hole reset for ten seconds, I can then try and connect to your router to check the firmware version.
on 08-04-2019 10:46 AM
on 08-04-2019 08:16 AM
on 05-04-2019 06:11 PM
on 15-03-2019 07:56 AM
Apologies, missed the bit about you testing wired. Have you tried factory resetting the router? If not then I think this is worth a try
on 14-03-2019 01:30 PM
I’ve already tested the wired connection, as I said in my original post: “The connection to the cabinet is almost 80Mbps, and wired network tests show around 75Mbps.”
Unfortunately, a good wired connection cannot be obtained with my wireless only devices.
The fact that the wired connection is good, and the wireless is repeatedly slowing down is what leads me to suspect the router.
Additionally, I’ve tried changing the channel on the 5Ghz frequency to see if that helped. Setting the channel to anything other than ‘Auto’ causes the SSID to not appear on the list of available networks on my devices.
on 14-03-2019 12:49 PM
on 13-03-2019 10:19 PM
I've also noticed that both frequencies are having a very large amount of packet errors - more than I've ever seen from a wireless router. (Screenshot attached.)
Additionally, the router instantly logs me out if I switch to another tab in my browser (which it's never done before.)