FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HG633 coil whine under load had poor WIFI 5Ghz now on dsl-3782 no coil whine but speed drops

G_R_UK_T4LK2M3
Whizz Kid
Message 72 of 72

When I first switched over to VDSL from ADSL2 I was supplied a HG633 this was working well except I was never happy with the WIFI performance on 5GHz.

Recently the HG633 started to make a high pitch audible noise I believe this was coil whine and started to really become a problem as it is located in the living room.

Internet speeds were stable and largly on the higher end of what what was expected and hardly dropped.

However more recently it did start around the same time as the whine it was getting after the recent contract renewal when we upgraded between 56-63MBps however lately it is strugling to get past 53MBps even after switching of for 30 minutes this didn't get better. I think this has caused the DLM to drop.

A while back we were also supplied a DSL-3782 which was only used when the HG633 had firmware problems before I was enrolled into the testing phase of the HG633 firmware before that was rolled out to all customers. I've started using this again two days ago however I woke up this morning to the biggest drop in some time down to 45MBps after a quick reboot this increased to 50MBps. The WIFI on the DSL-3782 is a huge improvement over the HG633 on 5GHz is much stronger and maintains a somewhat better max speed expected for the network bandwitch for dual band wifi, not perfect but a better result.

I know where to look for speeds which is always on the modem settings pages which is where I base all this knowledge from for speeds of the hardware.

So why at first was it at the maximum advertised and beyond expectations and more recently this has landed on the much lower end of advertised speeds? Fortunatly this is only £2.50 a month on the deal we were offered but when this goes up to £5 I can't justify the benefit of 5MBps for £5 a month so unless this is resolved when the time comes I will return to the old package at only a marginal speed difference.

This is what I always look for and not speedtest results.

Link Rate:

19113/50066 Kbps

I fully understand what I'm looking for with speeds, and because I can not change the DNS for this I can not get speedtest results that come close to what the link rate is showing it falls short by 4MBps down and 2MBps up.

I've now plugged this into the test socket ready for any testing that is required following what seems to be required when support is provided. I do hope this returns to the higher speeds that I had when we first enrolled to the extra fiber speed boost package.

0 Likes
71 REPLIES 71

Message 1 of 72
We recorded your speed as
Download 45993 KBits/s (5749.125 KBytes/s)
Upload 18540 KBits/s (2317.5 KBytes/s)

Thanks , DLM is kicking in and connection speed is moving in the right direction before DLM did anything the connection was up for over 7 days so the WIFI Hub purchased certainly has made an improvment in both WIFI and connection stability. Hopefuly in another 7 days speeds will increase further but DLM can be random? not sure because I've only been informed of 48 hours so it certainly takes longer to activate upon seeing a stable line. Just wish TalkTalk had remote way to just reset DLM sooner.
0 Likes

Message 2 of 72

Hi G_R_UK_T4LK,

If the sync speed has increased, however there is no improvement in throughput speeds then we usually advise switching the router off for a full 30 minutes to see if their is any improvement in speed.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 3 of 72

Thanks, messages were left requesting not to be called yesturday. However they will be calling again today. I would like to provide an update DLM is kicking in which is what I was explaining and trying to find out about.

Downstream Upstream
Actual Rate [Kbps] 49000 20000
Maximum Rate [Kbps] 56405 20000
Noise Margin [dB] 8.70 6.10
Attenuation [dB] 20.70 0.00
Power [dBm] 13.40 7.60

However what I do not understand is that speed tests remain the same as if no changes were made overnight when DLM changed profile at 2:10am I have tried a soft reset on the modem and speed tests still remain unchanged.

We recorded your speed as

DownloadUpload

36968 KBits/s(4621 KBytes/s)
18823 KBits/s(2352.875 KBytes/s)

Should I switch off for 30 minutes?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 72

Hi G_R_UK_T4LK

The Complaints Manager will contact you by phone or email.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 5 of 72
Thank you, how will they be in contact? Will it be here in private message or this thread or by email or phone please confirm.
0 Likes

Message 6 of 72

Hi G_R_UK_T4LK

I have escalated this complaint and a Complaints Manager will contact you to discuss this as soon as possible.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 7 of 72
Yes please, both me and my mum feel very strongly about the way this is being handled.
0 Likes

Message 8 of 72

Hi G_R_UK_T4LK

Apologies for this.

I can raise a complaint so this can be discussed further with a Complaints Manager, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 9 of 72

I have not seen any connections lost without explanation since using the DSL-3782 With the WIFI Hub that had been purchased this is what I am seeing :

Current speed Download 40.1 Mbps

Upload 20.0 Mbps

Connection up-time

Connected since 3d 18h04m59s

Clearly no one is viewing any of the history duing the time I had the 'super routers' setup each hardware in recent months was problematic in unique ways. Now I have the WIFI Hub installed is it not without any reason to attempt to provide the best possible service?

0 Likes

Message 10 of 72

Hi Ruth_RossUK

We can only optimise the connection but on recent attempts the speed hasn't increased and the line is showing to be unstable when at higher speeds.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 11 of 72

Do they not remember that my son had been swapping out a lot of different routers recently due to hardware faults with those super routers which has resulted in a high number of disconnects along with attempted manual resets and tests performed.

My son seems to think the DLM without a doubt has now become stuck hardware has now been left on for a solid three days and no signs of any improvement are noticed.

The only hardware that would without explanation drop a connection was the 3782 from what I have been informed the HG633 had different problems not related a loss of internet connectivity.

When will DLM start to correct this, now it has more than two days to do something with no loss of internet?

New hardware had been purchased that was not supplied free of charge from TalkTalk the WIFI Hub has been more efficient that then poor quality hardware previously supplied.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 72

Hi Ruth_RossUK

Our Network Team have advised that the speed is within the minimum range for your line. The profile and speeds have been dropped by DLM as the line has shown to be unstable when at higher speeds and errors were seen so DLM has dropped the speeds to prevent drops in connection.

I would suggest removing the fibre boost as you wont receive a faster speed. Apologies for this.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 13 of 72

Hi G_R_UK_T4LK

I'm discussing this with our Network Team and I will post back as soon as I receive additional information.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 14 of 72

Mums just told me that you find it acceptible to under deliver a garanteed minimum speed promised to us when we signed up to the boosts in December this was what we were both told over the phone when applying this? This must be a mistake.

Also can you expalin then why it has dropped from 63 download in December to 40 download today? it is a drop so drastically big.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 72

Hi Ruth_RossUK

Thank you.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can raise this fault and arrange an engineer visit.

Please can you also update your Community Profile to include your name and telephone number.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 16 of 72

Good morning,

I am posting here as it was requested.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 72

Hi G_R_UK_T4LK

I have replied to your Private Message.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 18 of 72
OK thanks I have now replied to this to confirm details as per your request. Please let me know of available dates / times.
0 Likes

Message 19 of 72

Hi G_R_UK_T4LK

Thanks for your reply.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 20 of 72
Recently with four: the HG633 was better than the 3782 for speed, but only marginal. The replacement HG633 was no better except it was silent no audible whine from the router and now the WIFI Hub that I purchased from the loyalty team. I've tried with two different cables and both the fitted plate and the test socket with filter.

Yes please, would I be given options as to what dates / times they may be visiting?
0 Likes