FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HG633 coil whine under load had poor WIFI 5Ghz now on dsl-3782 no coil whine but speed drops

G_R_UK_T4LK2M3
Whizz Kid
Message 72 of 72

When I first switched over to VDSL from ADSL2 I was supplied a HG633 this was working well except I was never happy with the WIFI performance on 5GHz.

Recently the HG633 started to make a high pitch audible noise I believe this was coil whine and started to really become a problem as it is located in the living room.

Internet speeds were stable and largly on the higher end of what what was expected and hardly dropped.

However more recently it did start around the same time as the whine it was getting after the recent contract renewal when we upgraded between 56-63MBps however lately it is strugling to get past 53MBps even after switching of for 30 minutes this didn't get better. I think this has caused the DLM to drop.

A while back we were also supplied a DSL-3782 which was only used when the HG633 had firmware problems before I was enrolled into the testing phase of the HG633 firmware before that was rolled out to all customers. I've started using this again two days ago however I woke up this morning to the biggest drop in some time down to 45MBps after a quick reboot this increased to 50MBps. The WIFI on the DSL-3782 is a huge improvement over the HG633 on 5GHz is much stronger and maintains a somewhat better max speed expected for the network bandwitch for dual band wifi, not perfect but a better result.

I know where to look for speeds which is always on the modem settings pages which is where I base all this knowledge from for speeds of the hardware.

So why at first was it at the maximum advertised and beyond expectations and more recently this has landed on the much lower end of advertised speeds? Fortunatly this is only £2.50 a month on the deal we were offered but when this goes up to £5 I can't justify the benefit of 5MBps for £5 a month so unless this is resolved when the time comes I will return to the old package at only a marginal speed difference.

This is what I always look for and not speedtest results.

Link Rate:

19113/50066 Kbps

I fully understand what I'm looking for with speeds, and because I can not change the DNS for this I can not get speedtest results that come close to what the link rate is showing it falls short by 4MBps down and 2MBps up.

I've now plugged this into the test socket ready for any testing that is required following what seems to be required when support is provided. I do hope this returns to the higher speeds that I had when we first enrolled to the extra fiber speed boost package.

0 Likes
71 REPLIES 71

Message 41 of 72

Hi G_R_UK_T4LK2M3,

Could you switch your router off for 30 minutes then switch back on and check to see if sync speed improves

Thanks
Chris

0 Likes

Message 42 of 72
Upstream line rate (kbit/s): 19588
Downstream line rate (kbit/s): 45638
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 6.5
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 9.3
Upstream interleave depth: 1
Downstream interleave depth: 13
Line standard: VDSL2
Upstream line attenuation (dB): 6.6
Downstream line attenuation (dB): 14
Upstream output power (dBm): 7.6
Downstream output power (dBm): 14.3
Channel type: Interleaved
DSL up-time: 2 days 20 hours 45 minutes 48 seconds

What has cuased downstream noise to increase and my downstream speed to decrease?

In December I had:
Upstream line rate (kbit/s): 20000
Downstream line rate (kbit/s): 63089
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 5.8
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 3.6
Upstream line attenuation (dB): 6.5
Downstream line attenuation (dB): 14.5
Upstream output power (dBm): 7.5
Downstream output power (dBm): 14.1
0 Likes

Message 43 of 72

I'm still using the replacement that was arranged for me.

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
VDSL2
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):
Downstream output power (dBm):
DSL up-time: 1 day 22 hours 56 minutes 28 seconds
0 Likes

Message 44 of 72
Since Wednesday 10am it has been now more then 48 hours.
0 Likes

Message 45 of 72

Hi G_R_UK_T4LK2M3 

Are you currently using a HG633 router? Has this been connected to the line for at least 48hrs?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 46 of 72
I tried to get one of these new router that is updated they could only offer me hg633 or hg635 or dsl-3782 I've had different problems with hg633 and dsl-3782 perhaps the hg635 is the last choice?

Unless you meant the Sagemcom 5364 which I already tried to get hold of. The first person i talked to over the phone on Wednesday ordered me wrong model ( person on the phone had no clue which model / make it would be ) and told me it was £25 and instead they sent me another HG633 which was delivered today and is already in the post back to TalkTalk.

As they wont send me one i called today after they sent me the exact same one but they now tell me it is £60 to buy and I need to go to the website to order but I go to the website and it is £120. I spent already two hours on the phone to just to try to order something better to get no where.
Honestly having these call centers located where they are and the sales staff have more knowledge about the options than tech dept but the tech dept are the only ones who can place the order this makes no sense to me.

Just seems unless you are new customer of TalkTalk you will get fobbed off with equipment that can just about do it's duty.

However this HG633 I was sent earlier this week is silent which is one improvement with no coil whine but the WIFI speeds on 5GHz are just as bad and 2.4GHz wifi still drops connection and I'm still not back upto the Downstream line rate (kbit/s): 63089 that I had in December.
0 Likes

Baker1970
First Timer
Message 47 of 72

The Hg633 is one of talk talk disasters, there is constant faults with them, I work for the company that provide talk talk with engineers and literally 1000's get sent back to the warehouse as faulty every day, a lot of routers get refurbished and reinstalled, I would ring talk talk and ask for a brand new router updated free of charge.

0 Likes

Message 48 of 72

Thanks for the update 

Your profile was changed which will cause a connection drop

Chris

0 Likes

Message 49 of 72

Some improvement in speed already, but I did notice a connection was dropped during this time or is this so they can release the higher speed?

Downstream line rate (kbit/s): 52476

Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 6.3

Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 6

Downstream line attenuation (dB): 14

Downstream output power (dBm): 13.2

0 Likes

Message 50 of 72

Hi G_R_UK_T4LK2M3,

As the sync speed improves the SNR will generally drop, you don't need to do anything at your end

Chris

0 Likes

Message 51 of 72
Is this what the Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 8 is indicating? When I first checked this morning after switching to the new HG633 this started at 8.7 - 9.1 and has since reduced to 8.0 - 8.5 is this what will improve and thus hopefuly over the next two days will come down as the speed increases.

Will I need to do anything to see an increase in downstream line rate?

Upstream line rate has improved already and reached the maximum.
0 Likes

Message 52 of 72

Hi G_R_UK_T4LK,

Thank you for keeping us updated. It can take between 24-48hrs for DLM to make changes to the sync speed now that the replacement router is connected. Hopefully DLM will start to increase the speed again over the next few days.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 53 of 72
Got it setup now almost two hours later:

Downstream line rate (kbit/s): 43791
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 6.2
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 8
Downstream line attenuation (dB): 14.2
Downstream output power (dBm): 13.3
DSL up-time: 0 days 1 hour 46 minutes 3 seconds

From what I can see interleave depth is much lower now more in line with the results I had during the first two months of getting the speed boost applied but the speeds are still way down on what they were.

When they were at there best:

Downstream line rate (kbit/s): 63089
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 5.8
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 3.6
Upstream line attenuation (dB): 6.5
Downstream line attenuation (dB): 14.5
Downstream output power (dBm): 14.1
0 Likes

Message 54 of 72

Hi G_R_UK_T4LK2M3,

If the connection remains stable and there are low errored seconds on the line then DLM should increase the sync speed. Please let us know once the replacement router is connected and we can re-check the connection stats again to see how they compare.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 55 of 72

Why / How can DLM even be allowed to set the profile below the minimum garanteed speed of the boost that was outlined to us in the contract renewal? DHL would have delivered today but I am not available for most of the day so I've set it for delivery tomorrow that's briliant quick delivery. Will update tomorrow once it has arrived.

Speed still low however the noise safety coefficient has gone down which is looking to be a good sign? Also connection is stable no loss in almost 18 hours so something very wrong with 3782 VDSL2 setup. Hope tomorrow HG633 will be fast connection again and stable wifi and silent like this HG633 used to be.

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):

Downstream line rate (kbit/s):

Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):

Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):

Upstream interleave depth:

Downstream interleave depth:

Line standard:
VDSL2

Upstream line attenuation (dB):

Downstream line attenuation (dB):

Upstream output power (dBm):

Downstream output power (dBm):

Channel type:
Interleaved

DSL up-time:
0 days 17 hours 36 minutes 45 seconds
0 Likes

Message 56 of 72

Hi G_R_UK_T4LK2M3,

I'm sorry to hear this. Unfortunately we can't make any manual adjustments to the speed as this is managed by DLM to provide the best balance between stability and speed for the line. If the connection remains stable then DLM should start to increase the speed within 24-48hrs.

Please let us know how both the stability and speed compares once you receive the replacement router.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 57 of 72

Can you do anything remotely please?

Now just had a few hours power cut thought I might as well switch back over to the HG633 and I have these results:

Upstream line rate (kbit/s): 17374

Downstream line rate (kbit/s): 35471

Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 6

Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 8.4

Upstream interleave depth: 375

Downstream interleave depth: 2985

Downstream line attenuation (dB): 14.6

Downstream output power (dBm): 13.3

Something is very wrong this is way worse than it was even without the boost.

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 58 of 72

Hi G_R_UK_T4LK2M3,

I've ordered a replacement router, should be with you within a couple of days but please allow up to 5 working days for delivery

Thanks
Chris

0 Likes

Message 59 of 72
Yes please if we can try HG633 for testing purposes and see how that gets on.
0 Likes

Message 60 of 72

Hi,

If the HG633 router is making a noise then it does sound like this router could be faulty.

Thanks

0 Likes