FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HG633 user capacity

alchemist
Conversation Starter
Message 11 of 11

Looking for some ideas to address an annoying little issue.

Firstly, we have a rock solid fibre connection and has been continuously up for last 36 days since power cut.

Over the last six months though there appears to be an increasing number of  'drop outs'. We notice this when connected via wifi... so still have a full signal but no internet connection for a few minutes. Sony TV seems to have same issue as we get a 'TV not connected to internet' message that then resolves.

Like many I suppose, we do have an increasing number of connections... both wired using devolo plugs and wifi.

So, could this be a capacity problem with the HG633 or is there some other conflict on network that can be investigated?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Hi

This does sound promising.  Any issues, and you know where I am 🙂

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

alchemist
Conversation Starter
Message 2 of 11

Hi Karl

Just a quick update... new router in place, 'touch wood' there have been no drops outs in the last week. Have therefore posted back the old router for recycling.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 11

Hi

The HG633 is a good router, but nothing is built to last so equipment can start to fail over time.

The new router will help to see if this is the case.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

alchemist
Conversation Starter
Message 4 of 11

Thanks Karl

I will factory reset all the devolo plugs as well...  so a completely new start, which no doubt will come with its own problems:-)

Are you aware whether the HG633 struggles, as it has been around a while now, when having lots of connections to manage?... the problem just 'feels' as though it is some form of conflict as it rectifies itself within a few minutes and there appears to be no loss of external connection from the router log. The green LEDs for internet, ethernet, wifi and TV seem to flash far more than I ever remember them doing?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 11

Hi alchemist

I've a new router on the way so we can rule out a hardware issue.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 6 of 11

OK I'll ask TalkTalk to look into this again.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

alchemist
Conversation Starter
Message 7 of 11

Very little chance of interference from other networks as walls are so thick!

Also problem is not limited to devices using WiFi (which is also through devolo plugs)... which is why I mentioned the TV also having the same problem as that is Ethernet over devolo. I have also been using VOIP through my iMac, volunteering for a charity from home during lock down, and the odd call has dropped.

Using the net analyser app on my phone there is clearly robust wifi but no internet and devolo desktop app confirms all plugs are working OK.

I have reset all the devolo plugs to factory settings to see whether that would rectify, but no luck... hence the post to look for some inspiration:-).

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 8 of 11

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

alchemist
Conversation Starter
Message 9 of 11

The only connections to the router are a Hive Hub and the devolo powerline connection.... so same setup for at least the last two years.

We live in a pre-Victoria cottage... so very thick walls menaing powerline is only option unless you are in the same room to use the wifi on the router... wifi elsewhere is also through devolo using cloning, and that setup is also largely unchanged.

What is strange is that the internet drop out is generally just a few minutes, so does not require the router to be powered down but using the netanalyser app shows 0/0 for down/up on the wifi.. and as mentioned the Sony TV, which is standard devolo connection together with the TT TV box, flashes the 'not connected' message and a few minutes the 'now connected to the internet'. One of the echo devices also cuts out in similar fashion... but that does not come back automatically!

Not sure whether the green LEDs give any sort of diagnostic... the internet/ethernet/wifi/TV are all very busy!

In terms of total connections... two phones, two echo devices, sonos, TV + TT box, ipad, Hive, Bluos streamer + PC or Mac when in use.

A mystery as when I log in to the router the fibre connection has not been interrupted (other than power cuts which we get more frequently than we would like).

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 10 of 11

Hi

do you notice if the drop outs affect devices connected directly to the router or vis the devolo plugs?

Do all devices drop out, or just a selective device and others remain connected etc ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes