FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help and advice please!

Talman
Whizz Kid
Message 16 of 16

Hi me again!😁

Since we received the new router we have had problems getting a wireless connection. My tablet continually stays stuck on obtaining IP address before eventually connecting after sometimes and hour or so! I now leave the tablet on to avoid this issue.

Today I started my desktop only to find it was now connected to the internet I ran a troubleshooter and got the message WiFi does not have a valid IP configuration. Eventually it connected and is now working fine. With the previous router I only had to turn on my tablet/desktop for it to connect! 

Can anyone suggest what the problem may be or suggest a solution? Or am I being really dense and missing something obvious? I believe the hardware linked to the network receives the IP address from the router, but to be fair my knowledge of computers is fairly limited!

Many thanks in anticipation Dave.

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

bigkenny
Problem Solver
Message 1 of 16

There are so many ways of setting the Wi-Fi up and your old router might just have had a setting different than your new router. What about starting your old router up (say with a Ethernet Cable)

Take a look at the Wi-Fi settings and try and put  same settings in on new router.

I find if having a problem just try putting in `Auto` on Version and Encryption in wireless settings on new router then when working. Just tinker with one setting and test, then change other and test.

It’s more than likely one of these try and keep in WPA/WPA2-Personal if possible

0 Likes

Divsec
Community Star
Message 2 of 16

Hi @Talman love it when a plan comes together. Thanks for the update. 

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
0 Likes

Message 3 of 16

Hi Divsec just thought I would let you know that I have got the ethernet up and running this morning and have attained speeds of 37 + and 9, which are way better than the speeds I was getting! Fingers crossed slitting the SSID has resolved the issues I was having!

Many thanks for your time and help. Take care Dave.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 16

Hi Thank you and yes it would! I will give it another go and perhaps repair the adapter!

BW Dave

0 Likes

Divsec
Community Star
Message 5 of 16

Hi @Talman glad to hear things are on the up, but it would be good to get the ethernet working properly. Please come back if you would like to go further. 

Message 6 of 16

Hi,

Glad to hear that this change has been positive.

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Message 7 of 16

Hi Karl

I thought I would update you as promised. Having split my SSID things do seem to have improved. I still have to wait sometimes to connect to the network, but not as long as before. The desktop and Google tablet seem to connect better and quicker than the Huawei tablet. Although that is not always the case. As far as my ethernet connection goes I have given up it seems to have just stopped working completely! However as I seem to have a good wifi connection on the desktop and am getting speeds of 35 Mbps + and 10 Mbps+ I am not going to worry about it!

Thank you for your interest and the advice offered by you guys! Best wishes Dave.

Message 8 of 16

Hi just to let you know I have tried splitting the SSID and it does appear to have improved things somewhat! Thank you for your advice.

Best wishes Dave.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 16

Hi

Do let us know how you get on 🙂

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 10 of 16

Hi Michelle

I have been busy so have yet to try splitting and renaming the SSID. Although today my computer logged on without any problems as did the Google notebook. I am not sure about the Huawei tablet which seems to have most problem with the IP address.

I have just finished lunch after a hard morning on the golf course! 😉😁 And will have some time this afternoon to try the SSID idea. It is odd I have never had this issue before!

Thanks for checking in and I will keep you posted. BW Dave. 

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 11 of 16
0 Likes

Message 12 of 16

Hi

Thank you I will give it a go and see if it helps! Best wishes Dave. 

0 Likes

Divsec
Community Star
Message 13 of 16

Hi @Talman truth is you don't have to but it frequently helps😊

0 Likes

Message 14 of 16

Hi Divsec no I have not done that! I will have a look and give it a try! I was not aware I had to do this!

Many thanks for your response Dave.

0 Likes

Divsec
Community Star
Message 15 of 16

Hi @Talman did you split the SSID yet? Or change the name Split your router's SSID (wireless network name) 

0 Likes