FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with setting up optical fiber connection

BronxCruz
First Timer
Message 2 of 2

I just shifted to a new location and need internal wiring done for an optic connection. While my ISP will “shift” my connection and install a box outside my house (node I assume), they will not be helping me run an optic cable inside the walls of my house. I’ll be getting the job done externally but I’m not sure if I’m just supposed to get an optic fiber cable from the box outside my house to a power outlet inside my house. Also would I need a CAT6 cable for my setup? (The house already has CAT6 wires in the walls).

I just need to get a single router to work with optic fiber, I do not need any peripherals like extenders or mesh network nodes to be setup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Likes
1 REPLY 1

Birchcroft
Philosopher
Message 1 of 2

Hi @BronxCruz it is not entirely clear, to me a least, what you are trying to do.  My guess, which may be wrong, is that you are having FTTP installed in which case I would expect your ISP to terminate it with a modem, or at least a socket for a modem, inside your house.  That is the equivalent to a master socket for ADSL/VDSL.  The link from the modem would then be a Ethernet cable.  The modem will need to be plugged into a power socket.

My advice is that you let the company you are getting to run the internal cable to determine exactly what is required and make recommendations accordingly. 

0 Likes