FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Latency at night, disconnects

NorthSideStar
Chatterbox
Message 9 of 9

Through the day I usually get 25-37ms of latency when pinging (google.com). I only have time to game on a night time and for the last two weeks I've consistently been getting around 100-300ms of latency, with spikes up to 6000ms. I'm using a wired connection and my PC is the only connected device at these times, though the latency is consistent when I've tested using my phone via WiFi too.

I can't use this, I can't play games with this amount of latency. I ran a line test via Service Centre the other night and although it said there wasn't a problem on TalkTalk's end, the problem was immediately fixed for the rest of the night. Last night I tried gaming again and the problem had returned and I'm unable to run another line test as I have an open case now, though Service Centre just prompts me to check my home setup, which is fine and has performed adequately previously as described.

I've also tried to use Live Chat for support but the Live Chat button does nothing, which seems to be pretty typical of TalkTalk - funny how I can't manage to TalkTalk to anyone with the company.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If this isn't resolved I'm just going to bail on the ISP.

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Hello,

Thanks for trying this and I'm sorry to hear that there has been no improvement. Have you ever tested with an alternative router? If not then please let us know and we can send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out. We would also send a router returns bag so that one of the routers can be returned.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 9

Disregard that, as usual it helped and the internet was great for about two hours, then went back to behaving exactly the same way.

I can get around 32ms, I usually do get around 32ms, so why is it consistently so bad now? Nothing has changed here at the house.

I get 1ms between my PC and router when I ping it, so the issue lies between the router and TalkTalk.

Sick of working all day then spending all night trying to fix this broadband so I can try to enjoy myself.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

Hey, I've connected to the test socket tonight and I'm seeing much more consistent latency (around 33ms). I'll monitor this over the course of tonight and tomorrow.

Prior to this I did notice my high latency problem seems to be 24/7, rather than at night time specifically - I just assumed it was at certain times as I'm not home a lot during the day to notice it.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 9

Morning,

Ok thanks for confirming. Does the main socket have a test socket? If it does then would it be possible to connect the microfilter and router at the test socket please so we can re-check the connection stats?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 9

Hey Michelle, unfortunately I don't own a landline to test with

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 6 of 9

Hi NorthSideStar,

Thank you. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see that the sync speed is varying and I can see re-connections on the line. Does your main socket have a test socket? Is there any noise on the voice service?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 7 of 9

I've added this information to my profile, thanks

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 8 of 9

Hi NorthSideStar,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name

• Telephone number

• Alternative contact number

•  

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

0 Likes