FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hit and miss speeds

Barrett4387
Chatterbox
Message 11 of 11

Hi,

I have had Talktalk since 2018 and if I'm honest it's never been that great. So the WiFi with router Huawei HG633 has always been bad. I've had to buy a third party WAP just to get a stable connection but now it just isn't enough. If hardwired connection is fine between 20-60 mb down (61 mb is meant to be minimum) I've been doing speed tests all day and the speed is fluxuating between 2 and 47. Latest being 12mb down. I've given up on trying to play my Xbox on a wireless connection as the lag on either the HG633 router idle the 3rd party WAP is just horrendous. Any ideas on what can be done as it clearly not right.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Hi Barrett4387

Thanks for the Private Message.

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection/speed compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 2 of 11

Send a private message

Message 3 of 11

Hi Barrett4387

No problem. Please can you also send me a Private Message to confirm the name on the account.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 11

That'll be great thankyou

Message 5 of 11

Hi Barrett4387

Thanks for your reply.

I will send the router to the address linked to the landline number in your Community Profile, will this be ok?

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 11

Hi,

Yes a replacement would be great thanks. What details do you need?

Message 7 of 11

Hi Andrew

I'm really sorry to hear this.

Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing to see how the connection/speed compares?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 8 of 11

Hi @Barrett4387,

It would be worth going to the Service Centre to do a test on your phone line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault on your line that might be affecting your speeds. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

If your master phone socket has a test socket then you could also try the router in there, that would then eliminate any of the phone wiring in your home as being a possible cause of the problem.

The TalkTalk staff on this community will also be able to help, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post within a working day or two and they will be able to run some tests on your connection and your router to see if they can see any issues.

Message 9 of 11

Yes and they still fluxuate not even meeting the "Minimum guaranteed speed".

I can sit in the same room as the router and my Xbox can't play a game without it being a horrendous experience. Hardly super fast fiber

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 10 of 11

Hi @Barrett4387,

If you run 'wired' speed tests do these fluctuate a lot. Wireless speeds can often fluctuate due to external influences, but wired speed tests should stay fairly steady.