FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House Move - New BT Master Socket Needed!

harrismail
Chat Champion
Message 40 of 40

Hi there,

I’ve just moved house and all credit to TalkTalk as my Broadband service transferred perfectly from my previous property right on time.

However, all the telephone sockets in the (new) property leave a lot to be desired…. and I’m not convinced the Master socket is a “real” properly installed one.
It looks like one - but the jury’s still out…

My router connects at a reasonable 40-50mb download but as soon as I connect my Devolo homeplugs, (powerline adapters) the router disconnects when I start to use my PC! (in my previous property the homeplugs worked perfectly) Even if I don’t use the Powerline adapters the router still isn’t holding onto its connection for more than a few hours before it disconnects and then reconnects!

So…  my question is… the house almost certainly needs a new BT Master socket (and an engineer to check on the internal telephone sockets etc) but how do I go about organising this??

Hopefully that’s something I can get organised through TalkTalk??

Even if I ultimately have to pay for an Openreach engineer, I’m prepared to do that.

Regards

Steve

0 Likes
39 REPLIES 39

Message 1 of 40

Hello,

I'm really glad to hear this 🙂 A lovely Christmas and New Year to you too 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 40

Hi Michelle,

The BT engineer was excellent. He fitted a new up to date master socket and ran tests and did tweaks from the cabinet outside to the socket inside. He also managed to get the DLM reset and after he’d finished the download speed was around 57MB with the upload around 18MB I’ve just checked the connection this morning and it hasn’t dropped since he left yesterday afternoon, which is brilliant.

So grateful to you and the team for helping me sort this out.

Have as good a Christmas & New Year as Boris allows!.

Regards

Steve

0 Likes

Message 3 of 40

Morning,

Thanks for the update. Did the engineer make any changes to the main socket? How has the connection been so far?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 40

Hi Karl, the BT engineer has just been to the house and has (hopefully) fixed the Broadband connection problem. He said that we shouldn’t be charged for the call out as the issue was outside the property - he mentioned a loop fault that your tests first picked up. Could you let me know that this has been confirmed.

Many thanks for your help in organising the engineer to visit as it couldn’t have been sorted without this.

Steve

0 Likes

Message 5 of 40

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 6 of 40

Thanks Karl, sorry I forgot the conversation wasn't private 🙄

0 Likes

Message 7 of 40

Hi

I've removed the number.

not a good idea to post this publicly.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

harrismail
Chat Champion
Message 8 of 40

Brilliant - thank you so much.

My mobile is *removed* should you need to contact me.

Regards Steve.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 40

Hi

An engineer has been booked for the earliest appointment, Thursday 16th PM (1-6).

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

harrismail
Chat Champion
Message 10 of 40

Anytime is fine - preferably as soon as a slot is available. I can make sure I'm here.

Yes, I agree to the charge (if necessary and the fault is deemed to be a non BT issue)

Regards Steve Harris

0 Likes

Message 11 of 40

Hi,

No problem. Are you available for any AM (8-1) or PM (1-6) appointment this week? Do you have a preference? Can you also confirm that you accept any possible time related engineer charges please.

We'll charge you if the Openreach engineer was unable to find a fault with your service or the fault was found to be related to a condition in your property or garden. Any faults related to your main phone socket may also incur a charge, as will issues caused by any personal devices connected to your line. You won’t be charged for faults caused by Openreach equipment.

Thanks

0 Likes

harrismail
Chat Champion
Message 12 of 40

I’d really like an engineer to call ASAP as you’ve identified a loop fault without any equipment attached and the router is still OK.

I’m around for them to come anytime so as soon as they can come the better 👍

0 Likes

Message 13 of 40

Hi,

Thanks for confirming. Could you remove the last image please as it contains some personal info. This is one of our older routers.

If the connection is unstable and the sync speed has dropped at the test socket with 2 different routers then I think we should arrange a fault broadband engineer visit in case there is a potential fault. The only thing with this is that they may or may not replace the main socket as part of their fault investigation. Would you like us to send another router first just to rule this out?

In relation to re-setting the speed, we can't do this from here as this is managed by DLM. If the stability improves then DLM should start to increase the speed again. Would you like to go ahead with a fault engineer visit instead or would you prefer to test a different router first?

Thanks

0 Likes

harrismail
Chat Champion
Message 14 of 40

One last question:- If my connection has now established at a lower speed than it’s capable of, can the “system” be reset to “renegotiate” a higher speed? Almost as if I’d connected the router for the very first time??

0 Likes

Message 15 of 40

2827285F-BD1C-4C7E-8AF1-ACED408CA60F.jpeg

0 Likes

Message 16 of 40

Hi,

What's the make and model of this router please?

Thanks

0 Likes

harrismail
Chat Champion
Message 17 of 40

Thanks - it’s all reconnected again. I’ve left the faceplate off for now.

I know BT are probably really busy right now but would really appreciate if this was escalated as it’s been dropping its download speed by nearly 5mb a day!

I’m using the D-Link router I brought from my previous property which worked flawlessly at a download speed of 80mb for months on end.

Your help in sorting this out would be so much appreciated 👍

0 Likes

Message 18 of 40

Hi,

Ok. Could you connect the microfilter, router and phone back at the test socket please and if there is no improvement in the next 24hrs then I think we should arrange a fault engineer visit to look into this. Are you also using a new router?

Thanks

0 Likes

harrismail
Chat Champion
Message 19 of 40

Correct. The faceplate is removed and there is currently nothing attached to the Master Socket.

0 Likes

Message 20 of 40

Hello,

The line test is still detecting the same loop fault. Can I just confirm, was all equipment, including the router and microfilter, removed from the line and was the faceplate still removed too? A loop fault can often be caused by internal wiring or equipment.

Thanks

0 Likes