FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I have Fibre 35?

springsteen1
Team Player
Message 22 of 22

I'm in a weird situation that I don't understand.

On Monday 22 February I contacted talktalk through their on-line chat function. Two earlier attempts to click on a hyperlink to upgrade to Fibre 35 had failed so I needed manual help.

So I apparently have now upgraded and was told I would start to receive the upgrade within 24 hours. I told the chat person that I didn't have Fibre installed into my house but the chat person was insistent that I did and it just needed an upgrade that would happen remotely.

So here I am, 48 hours later. The copper telephone line is still coming into my house. I have had no change to my download speed.

Are the chat people on commission to sell packages irrespective of whether or not you can actually receive them? 

How on earth can I have Fibre 35 until fibre is installed into my house? It makes no sense to me. Help please!

0 Likes
21 REPLIES 21

Message 1 of 22

I'm sorry if your speed hasn't improved at all. Unfortunately if you are a long distance from the cabinet then this will limit your speed. I'd suggest if you're not seeing any speed improvement at all over your previous service to speak to our Loyalty team to discuss your options.

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 22

Thanks for replying Chris,

So what you are actually saying that there is no difference to me whatsoever having Fibre 35 than not having it since my line speed is exactly the same as it was BEFORE I switched, except that I am now paying £25 per month for Fibre 35 compared with my old contract of £20 per month, even though there has been no change in speed?

I have nothing connected to telephone points whatsoever other than the router and my TalkTalk TV box: I gave up using a land line a couple of years ago.

It was never explained to me that by upgrading to Fibre 35 I would see no change in speed whatsoever.

The fact that my house is so far away from the cabinet should have been considered by TalkTalk as should my on-line conversation that persuaded me to switch to Fibre 35 when I expressed surprise that I could receive fibre when the reality is that it hasn't made the tiniest difference in speed, pre fibre 35 and post fibre 35.

My exact speed estimate was not given at point of sale.

Does having an older router have any effect? Mine is not the Wi-Fi hub black, which is supposed to be faster, but the older version for standard broadband.       

0 Likes

Message 3 of 22

Hi springsteen1,

Thanks for answering the security questions. Line test is passing and your current sync speed is 11.0Mbps, you guaranteed minimum throughput speed is 8.1Mbps

How many telephone sockets do you have, do you have anything connected to your telephone socket(s) in addition to your router?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 22

Hi springsteen1,

Apologies for the delay. I'm sorry about this but could you resubmit the answers to the security questions via the link supplied by OCE_Debbie, unfortunately the details previously sent aren't showing on our system

Chris

0 Likes

Message 5 of 22

I did. On 1st March and then 10th March as I hadn't heard anything.

Thanks. 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 22

Did you reply to the PM as requested? Subject to that I have re-escalated this for you. 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 22

Things have gone rather quiet recently. I provided my details as requested but have had no further correspondence. Help please. 

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 8 of 22

Hi springsteen1

I'm really sorry for the delay.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 9 of 22

@springsteen1, each and every post you add delays your thread from reaching staff. 

It's an automated workflow queue and it will be treating your post as "answers".

You only started the thread yesterday, and it is rare for a new thread to be picked up the same day. It's usually at least two days. 

Due to staff absence in recent weeks, there has also been a huge backlog. Staff are catching up well now, but only reply Monday to Friday. 

If you don't post further, with luck you should get a reply before the weekend. 

Your thread is in the queue for attention and you have not been overlooked. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 10 of 22

I have held off from posting since yesterday to see if the support team pick this up - they haven't. 

This morning I ran another speed test - no change. Then I looked at my speed history on my TalkTalk account  - there have been no changes whatsoever between pre-fibre 35 and post-fibre 35 - not even a mb/s increase. How on earth can you say that there will be increases in speed when the evidence is clear - nothing has changed whatsoever. 

Come on TalkTalk staff - help a customer.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 22

You should have been given a guaranteed minimum speed at the point of sale, at a distance of 2.2Kms from the cabinet you cannot expect too much I'm afraid.

I suggest you hold off from further posting now until the support team here pick this up, they will be able to check things from their end and advise you further. 

0 Likes

Message 12 of 22

So basically I have been lied to when I was sold my 'upgrade'. I was not told about the 'cabinet' and the fact that it is so far away from my house means that the final 2.2km IS down a copper wire. 

Is there any way of checking what I speed I should be getting as a result of this 'upgrade' or is it simply a case of like it or lump it? If I have been 'upgraded' to fibre, paying more for the privilege but still not getting any difference in speed, what on earth is the point?

I have telephone capability in the house but choose not to have land lines since everyone uses mobiles these days.

It seems to me that I have been conned by Talk Talk and I will probably take this to one of the consumer advice pages in the printed media.

People need to be aware that Fibre doesn't mean Fibre when you live so far away from the cabinet - it means that you'll see no change in speed but we'll charge you more for it.

An absolute disgrace, I wouldn't even mind if I got a speed of, say 15mb/s instead of what I currently get   

0 Likes

Message 13 of 22

@springsteen1, what you have ordered is Fibre to the cabinet NOT Fibre to the premises.

Some users get close to 40Mbps download speed. This should have been sold on the grounds of what YOUR line can cope with and not an "average".

You should have been told the specifications for your particular line on signing up. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 14 of 22

Hi

Hardly gobbledygook

So you do not have a LandLine or any LandLine capability?

A simple YES/NO would be a starting point.   

Do you have a LandLine or any LandLine capability?

"" I can get up to 16.8mb/s according to the checker. So how on earth I can get an average speed of 38mb/s is beyond me.""

But can you post the results.

TT may be exaggerating for comedic effect, or just lying.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 22

Thanks for your reply: a lot of it is gobbledygook to me as I'm a 64 year old technophobe but there are bits I think I understood.

The first phone number I have used before but all you get is someone who reads from a script (believe me, I spent 90 minutes yesterday getting nowhere fast) and arrived at the same conclusion I had about Talk Talk TV.

I did the availability checker and found that I live 2.2km from the exchange cabinet which is where the fibre stops. I can get up to 16.8mb/s according to the checker. So how on earth I can get an average speed of 38mb/s is beyond me.

The lower speed the availability checker gives me is 9.5mb/s, which is close to what I was getting before fibre anyway.

To my mind Talk Talk have falsely sold me something I cannot achieve. But there is no-one from Talk Talk to own this problem or try and resolve it.

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 16 of 22

Hi
Some, hopefully relevant, contact details....
https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-update-on-Coronavirus/ta-p/2468300

If you’re an existing TalkTalk customer, and you’d like to speak to someone about your account and billing, moving house, to get some technical support, or make a complaint,
call TalkTalk on 0345 172 0088 – it’s free if you call from a TalkTalk landline,
or alternatively 0345 172 0046 – it’s free if you call from a TalkTalk landline.

As I said it is the phone line and its socket, LandLine, and the Router/Modem that you will be receiving.

If you want FIBRE TO THE PROPERTY (FTTP), not just the Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) then you may have to go with an alternative ISP.

So you do not have a LandLine or any LandLine capability?

Therefore the aa net link will answer lots of your questions, as I cannot because I do not have any insight into the state of your property.

There is a SYNC speed that is usually quoted, and/or guaranteed by an ISP as part of your BB contract.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/50841i095000F173F6F42A/image-size/larg...

My figures are in high 70's and Upper teens, with the MGALS/HandBack threshold speed of 67+ Mbps, although my actual thru speed seems only to be mid-to-high 30's.

AND then here....

https://www.aa.net.uk/broadband/home1/

You are connected to cabinet 00. Your line length (from the exchange) is approximately 3454 meters (sic).

G.Fast broadband up to 160Mbps
G.Fast is available with an estimated downstream speed of 265.3 to 330Mbps. For the time being, we are limiting G.Fast speeds to a maximum of 160Mbps.

"Superfast" VDSL (Fibre to the cabinet) up to 80Mb/s
VDSL uses the phone line copper pair to connect to a modem in the street cabinet and then typically glass fibre to connect back to the exchange and on to us. As this uses less copper wire it provides faster download speeds than ADSL, but costs a little more. For your location, forecast download sync speed is 74-80Mb/s and forecast upload sync speed is 19-20Mb/s.

ADSL broadband up to 5.1Mb/s
ADSL uses the phone line copper pair to connect to a modem at the telephone exchange. For your location the forecast download sync speed is 2.8-5.1Mb/s.

Talk Talk may only be offering some, all or n0ne of the above to you.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 22

I don't have microfilters as I no longer use the landline. I've tried turning off the router for 40 minutes and that had no effect. There has been no change whatsoever to my speeds.

I have fibre in my house in Spain. In Spain they ran the fibre cable from the one in the street into the house and set up a router.

In the UK fibre was laid in the road next to the road leading to my house. There is a spray marking on the tarmac showing where the fibre cable ends. To my mind there needs to be a fibre cable run between my house and the fibre cable in the street.

The trouble with TalkTalk is that you can never speak to anyone who understands your issues. It is no wonder they have such a bad reputation. I want to pick up a phone, say to someone 'hey, I'm supposed to be on Fibre 35 but nothing has happened - can you help: and then they say sure, I'll look into this and get back to you later today'.

So basically I'm paying for Fibre35 but not getting it and Talk Talk are not bothered - at least that's the way it feels.  

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 18 of 22

Hi

Dunno.

My property was wired back in the early 70's with copper wiring, and still working now....

CabTest.png

..... as the above recent image shows.

Fibre 35 is just a name (it probably sounds like a laxative for reasons known only to TT), more relevant is the BT/Openreach socket and the Router/Modem you have.

BT OR sockets.png

So perhaps try a 30 minute dis-connect, ONCE ONLY, and then re-connect and do a speed check.  Be aware of the need for good quality Microfilters.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 22

Switched back on after 40 minutes. Results are exactly where they were before I was supposed to have Fibre 35:

Ping 35ms

Download 9.96mb/s

Upload 0.44mb/s

I don't know what 'DSL stats' are but assume they are the same as those I have shown.

So what has happened to this so-called fibre?

0 Likes

Message 20 of 22

I will try this when I have some lunch and post back. Many thanks

0 Likes