FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I change the servers in 'Static DNS Server Configuration' sent out by DHCP?

demulv
Team Player
Message 7 of 7

This is on the Sagecom FAST 5364 router, latest firmware.

If you click on See internet settings -> Manage advanced settings ->TalkTalk WiFi Hub -> DNS tab, there's a toggle switch to enable/disable the DNS server, along with text boxes to change the primary and secondary DNS servers.  Yet they're all disabled.

So my question is, how do I change these settings?

I have already searched the forum, however I've only seen responses saying 'you don't want to do that, it's inefficient' - which isn't very helpful!  Yes I know these are the DNS servers dished out by DHCP, and I know the router is meant to be initially contacted so it can cache local DNS queries.

However I'm running a Pi-Hole server locally which replaces the router's function as a locally caching DNS server, so I'd like all clients on my network to be referring to it instead of the router.  Yes I could go round manually changing each client to use the Pi-Hole server for DNS, but firstly that's a bit of a pain, and secondly that's not workable for mobile devices such as phones.

Sorry about the mild rant, but just wanted to head off any replies saying (to quote Harry Enfield) - 'now I don't believe you wanted to do that' 😉

So - how do I change the DNS server list dished out by DHCP on the Sagecom router?

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7

Hi

You can change DNS in Wifi-Hub> Internet Connectivity.

Mark

DNS.JPG

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 2 of 7

Providing the DNS server functionality of your own DNS server is on the same subnet as the Sagemcom's LAN, you should be able to enter its IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.x) in the DNS field so that IP address is handed out via DHCP to your clients. There is no reason for these fields to be greyed out at all. Try a factory default of the router. It will not make DNS inefficient at all, the times when I have made that statement refers to people wanting to hand out, or statically configure, a network DNS server (e.g. Google DNS) directly on their clients.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 3 of 7

I might give that a go actually, if the settings are meant to be editable.  Probably after the latest firmware update, which I'm sure will be arriving soon! 🙏

Thanks Karl.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 7

Hi

Have you tried a pin reset of the router - hold a pin or paperclip in the reset hole at the back for 10 seconds and this will fully reset the router. 

Access the router pages and see if DNS can be changed.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

demulv
Team Player
Message 5 of 7

Thank you Karl, however I'd rather stick with the Sagecom router if that's OK with you.

Is there some way I can get the fields working on my existing router - or alternatively if there's an issue with mine in particular, could you send out a replacement Sagecom router instead?

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 6 of 7

Hi

The fields should not be greyed out and you should be able to specify the primary and secondary DNS servers.

I'll get the other model hub out to you and see if this helps.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes