FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect additional computers to new router

jkh58
Participant
Message 24 of 24

Hello

I've just had a new TalkTalk router and I've set it up ok and my main computer, which is Windows7 on a desk downstairs, connects to the internet fine.

So far so good....

But I have two other computers - a pretty much defunct WindowsXP which I don't want to throw away cos it's got some good programs on there - it's also downstairs near the Windows7 computer. I also have a new Windows10 computer which is upstairs.

Before I set up the new router I was able to have all three computers online at the same time with my old router - the other two computers connected via a Tenda mini adapter.

My problem now is that I cannot get the other two computers to connect to the internet. I can't see how to do it and I've been faffing around all day with them!

I get messages on my Windows10 machine that says 'ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration' & 'default gateway is not available'.

Can anyone help me please?

Many thanks

0 Likes
23 REPLIES 23

Message 1 of 24

No problem, please let us know how you get on 🙂

0 Likes

Message 2 of 24

I'll give that a try. Many thanks for your time today 👍

0 Likes

Message 3 of 24

OK, thanks for trying. Do you have a support line number for the adapter manufacturer (or do they have a chat service), worth a try if it's free, before resorting to expense and inconvenience of taking it all to a computer shop

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 24

Thank you for updating it but, as you predicted, it's made no difference to the other two computers.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 24

Yes that was me updating the firmware

Firmware is software that makes hardware work, a set of instructions. Routers (and other devices) are generally manufactured with the latest firmware available at the time but the latest firmware for your router has only been released quite recently.

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 24

My router just went off, lights turned red, no internet connection - I assume that was you updating the firmware?

What does the firmware do and why didn't the router come with it already updated?

0 Likes

Message 7 of 24

OK, I'm updating your firmware now, it should complete within a few minutes

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 24

Yes please. Can you do it from there, or do you need to send me something in the post?

0 Likes

Message 9 of 24

I've just noticed your routers not running the latest firmware, would you like me to update it. I can't see it resolving the issue but I think it's worth a try

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 24

Yeah, I did.

Don't worry, I'm going to take the computer towers and router into a computer shop and see if they can sort it out for me.

But, to be honest, I wish I'd never bought this new router. I was promised faster broadband speed etc, which is a joke, because even the computer that does connect isn't faster. It's just the same as before, only I can't get the other two computers to connect.

I might aswell just bin this router and go back to the old one! Goodness knows how much the computer shop will charge me for getting the other two computers to connect.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 24

Did you try rebooting the router and adapters? 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 24

I didn't say a setting needed to be changed in the router - I said the computer...i.e. I've deleted the existing broadband connection and tried setting up a new one, but that didn't work. So there must be something else...

It's not the router itself, and it's not the adapter - it's the broadband/network connection.

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 13 of 24

I can't think of any setting that you'd need to change in the router. Have you tried just rebooting the router and the adapters, if not then I think it's worth a try

Please also see our guide to troubleshooting our adapters, it may not all apply to your adapters but it may be helpful - Fix a problem with your network connectors

Chris

0 Likes

Message 14 of 24

No, it's not the adapters because they were working just fine with the old router - it's something to do with the new router and there must be something in the settings on the computers somewhere on how to connect to the internet via the new router.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 24

OK. Did you receive any sort of troubleshooting process with the adapters? If so, have you tried the advice given?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 16 of 24

Sorry, yes, it has 3 green lights on it when internet is available.

I've got the 3 green lights, but on the taskbar all I've got is the computer monitor icon with a yellow triangle and exclamation mark.

But yesterday the icon didn't have the yellow triangle and it said there was a connection at 100.0 Mbps but when I opened a browser to connect to a website it said no internet connection...very confusing.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 24

OK thanks, and what about the lights?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 18 of 24

I had a years-old router which says D-Link on the top and on the base it says:

Model: DSL-2640R Broadband Wireless G ADSL2+ Router

If that helps...!

0 Likes

Message 19 of 24

OK thanks.

Which router did you have previously?

Do the adapters have lights on them indicate that they are connected OK?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 20 of 24

Hi Chris

This is what I've got https://www.ebuyer.com/864584-tenda-p200-powerline-200mbps-mini-powerline-adapter-kit-p200kit

And this is the product description:

Tenda P200 Powerline 200Mbps Mini PowerLine Adapter Kit

To build a network at home or office with minimum effort and cost, the Tenda 200Mbps Powerline Adapter P200 is your choice. In many cases, Ethernet is just not available in places where network connectivity is needed. However, almost every room at home or office has power circuitry, which can be used to extend network connections from your broadband router. Simply plug one P200 that links to a broadband modem/router into the power outlet in one room, and plug another P200 linking to a PC or any Ethernet device in the other, you can then easily and instantly create a powerline network of up to 200Mbps, 2X of a traditional switch or router, with the driving capability of up to 300 meters, 3X of Ethernet cable. Plus the QoS feature prioritizes your bandwidth intensive applications for lag-free experience.

No Wiring, No Drilling
Tenda P200 Powerline Adapters Will Bring Internet Access to Your Entire Home over Your Regular Electrical Power Lines

0 Likes