FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find out what the fastest possible speed is for my line

hawkerpaul
Chat Champion
Message 12 of 12

Hi 

My line speed is around 30Mbps.

I really want to upgrade it to the fastest possible that is available to me

I had a talk-talk flyer posted a short while back claiming 60+Mbps but I'm not sure if this is even possible in my area.

How do I find out what the max fibre broadband speed is for my line please?

Thanks

Paul

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

@hawkerpaul wrote:

The site ferguson linked suggests I can achieve 48Mbps which I would gladly upgrade to Fibre 65 for the extra £2, but Chris says I can only get to 30Mbps. Been with TalkTalk for 15+ years now; they have been very good for me during this time, so dont particularly want to find an alternative supplier, and anyway, I believe my current max speed is due to my location and not throttling.

Would be nice if there was a definitive site for people to query on landline number (or at least postcode/address) for the actual max possible speed, as this seems to be a bit of a grey area here with differing results.

@hawkerpaul Unfortunately, I don't think any website can give an exact speed as they will all be based upon an estimate of the length of copper wiring between your house and the cabinet, and a calculation of signal attenuation associated with that length. In practice, the actual speed will depend on the exact route the wiring takes as well as the physical condition of the wiring and any connections over its length. The "maximum" estimate will be for wiring in perfect condition so in practice you will be unlikely to get near to that.

My own figures, for comparison - TalkTalk gave me an estimated range of 32 to 52Mbps download speed prior to my upgrade from ADSL to Fibre65. The site in the link @ferguson posted gives me an estimated maximum on "superfast" of 55/9Mbps Download/Upload. I actually get about 35/5Mbps (using the TallkTalk router).

Some ISPs (I believe BT and Plusnet, I'm not sure what others) use higher speed profiles on the VSDL FTTC system whereas TalkTalk use a slower standard profile geared more towards stability. It is possible, therefore that you could get faster speed with a different ISP but it won't be a huge increase, probably only a handful of Mbps, still nowhere near the 48Mbps maximum suggested to you.

The Draytek router I use allows me to alter the downstream target SNR value and I can get about 5Mbps more by lowering it to 2dB (from the standard value of 6dB) still with stable connection and relatively low errors, but again it isn't a huge increase - I just do it for fun, not because the extra 5Mbps serves a crucial purpose.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 2 of 12

Hi @hawkerpaul the Ofcom site gives the most optimistic result, equivalent to the top speed on a clean line via the BT Wholesale test. Actual performance can vary massively

I would trust Chris who has given the best available information based on your actual line as it stands. 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 12

Hi

You could try the BT line checker just put your postcode in and the capture in and submit my results are below.

Link BT Broadband (btwholesale.com).

Mark

Screenshot 2021-10-14 190502.jpg

0 Likes

hawkerpaul
Chat Champion
Message 4 of 12

Thanks again.

I also have a Netgear Nighthawk D7800 router and this has the same max speed as the TalkTalk router.

Think the bottleneck is due to my physical line, and not any TalkTalk/Router throttling.

The site ferguson linked suggests I can achieve 48Mbps which I would gladly upgrade to Fibre 65 for the extra £2, but Chris says I can only get to 30Mbps. Been with TalkTalk for 15+ years now; they have been very good for me during this time, so dont particularly want to find an alternative supplier, and anyway, I believe my current max speed is due to my location and not throttling.

Would be nice if there was a definitive site for people to query on landline number (or at least postcode/address) for the actual max possible speed, as this seems to be a bit of a grey area here with differing results.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 12

I would see what a few alternative suppliers say the guaranteed minimum they can offer is. Not to swith but to see if it's higher than you're getting.  Or possibly better (but at a cost) get a third party modem/ router that will give the maximum line speed data (Asus & TP Link units do).

The reason I say that is because when I was on Fibre40 or whatever it's called now I was sync'ing at about 34/ 35 and had throughputs of around 32. I switched to an Asus unit and noticed the max line speed was around 57. Then an offer appeared that put me on Fibre 65 for £ 2 a month more but with 2 months free. I was only 6 months into the contract so, for me, it made absolute sense to go for the faster connection.

I now sync at about 48 with a throughput around 45/46.

Fritz

0 Likes

Message 6 of 12

To be honest no, I don't really think that it's worth upgrading as you'll probably just be paying more for the same speeds. The speed you receive mainly depends on the length of the cable from the street cabinet to your home so it's unlikely that the speed will improve

Chris

0 Likes

hawkerpaul
Chat Champion
Message 7 of 12

Thank you Chris.

Such a pity.

However, as my contract is up in december, the price is likely to rise, so for an extra £2, do you think its worthwhile to upgrade to this 65Mbps bundle?

I assume if my area's speed gets increased during the time I'm on the 65Mbps bundle then I'll automatically see my speed increase accordingly?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 12

Unfortunately as your speed isn't currently reaching 40Mbps then you wouldn't get 48Mbps if you upgrade, your speed would probably remain the same as it is now.

Chris

0 Likes

hawkerpaul
Chat Champion
Message 9 of 12

Thanks both.

If I put my address in the link supplied by ferguson, it shows as a max of Superfast (48Mbps)

When I log into my TalkTalk account, its tells me my contract is up in December and to view upgrade offers, and this gives me the offer of the Super Fibre 65 Bundle Deal

If I was to upgrade to this 65 bundle, would I get 48Mbps?

And if the speed in my area was to increase in the future, would my speed automatically bump up accordingly up to 65Mbps?

If so I might take the offer up, as it works out at about an extra £2 a month compared to what I'm paying currently

Thanks again

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 10 of 12

Hi Paul,

Your current sync speed is 32.0Mbps so unfortunately it's unlikely that you would benefit from Fibre 65 as upgrading just removes the 40Mbps speed cap

Chris

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 11 of 12
0 Likes