FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use a DNS Service not listed under the Talktalk DynDNS provider menu

steve1234
Team Player
Message 9 of 9

In the TalkTalk SAGECOM FAST 5364 router, under advanced settings/DynDNS tab you can only select a few predefined DDNS providers.  I need to use one which is not listed, eg DuckDNS, whom I have found to be reliable, but cannot find how to do this.

In my NAS box there are 'hidden' options to allow you to set up any DDNS service and I am hoping that there is a method to do this in the TalkTalk Sagemcom router.

Thanks for looking

Steve

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Piethorne
Chat Champion
Message 1 of 9

@steve1234Can't see them changing that anytime soon. I agree with @KeithFrench, if your NAS is running 24/7 you'd be better off using its DDNS updater, or installing an update client.

I'm just a customer who might be able to help, not official help & support.
0 Likes

steve1234
Team Player
Message 2 of 9

Thanks for the replies.  I have edited my original post to show it is the Sagemcom router I use.  The DDNS provider field is not editable.  Perhaps they may do this in an update.  I hope so.

Thanks

Steve

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 3 of 9

Hi @Piethorne 

Dns-o-matic always used to work & was brilliant as it supported so many DDNS providers on the other side of it. Alas, it just stopped working sometime back.

The OP definitely has the Sagemcom hub, the giveaway is the fact that the DDNS tab is called DynDns. 

I think running the DDNS updater of his choice on his NAS is the best way forward, short of using No-IP.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Piethorne
Chat Champion
Message 4 of 9

Hi @KeithFrench

I'd have a go with a Sagemcom if I had one to play with. Both TT hubs have quirks unfortunately. Is the "dynupdate.no-ip.com" field not editable in the Sagemcom ? No-IP is ok apart from the 30 day renewal.

I don't use my Huawei as a DDNS updater any more since finding I can add multiple DDNS providers and domains to the built-in updater on my "always on" NAS. Every aspect is fully editable.

It's a pity the TT hubs DDNS pages aren't like this, but they are supposed to be simple domestic PnP bits of equipment after all.

The update URL passed to the DDNS provider will obviously affect how it responds, and I think the Sagemcom is passing the hostname, username, password and IP parameters in a way that only No-IP (in Sagemcom's list) resolves.

Typically, an update URL would be...

https://dynupdate.no-ip.com/nic/update?hostname=%HOST%&myip=%IP%

When it comes to dnsomatic, theirs appears to be something like the following - according to their documentation. Although all the info's there, things like the backslash could cause problems - or it could be just a typo in their documentation.

https://username:password@updates.dnsomatic.com/nic/update?hostname=yourhostname\&myip=ipaddress&wildcard=NOCHG&mx=NOCHG&backmx=NOCHG

When I set up my NAS, I managed (after several failed attempts) to bodge together an undocumented URL...

https://api.dynu.com/nic/update?username=%USER%&password=%PASS%&myip=%IP%

...(no hostname) which updates all domains under a single account simultaneously, instead of just one domain.

Oh well, the OP hasn't said which hub he's got yet, so we shall see.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 5 of 9

Hi @Piethorne 

I have never had any luck in the Sagemcom getting any free ones other than No-IP working.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Piethorne
Chat Champion
Message 6 of 9

I don't know about the Sagemcom, but the service provider URL field (e.g. dynupdate.no-ip.com) is editable in the Huawei, so you can type in anything you want.

Alternatively, if your NAS DDNS Service software supports multiple entries you could add as many service providers as it can handle.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 7 of 9

Hi @steve1234 

@Michelle-TalkTalk has asked me to help you. The Sagemcom worked very well with DuckDNS via the DNS proxy dns-o-matic:-

https://dnsomatic.com 

However, some time ago dns-o-matic stopped working, I did try to contact them & got nowhere. I haven't tried it since & went over to the free No-IP.

Keith

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 8 of 9

Hello,

@KeithFrench - Would you be able to offer any advice?

Thanks