FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can use old bt hub 3 router as extender,wireless access point or etc?

lelouch
First Timer
Message 5 of 5

Hello, 

During lockdown, I notice there are 2 rooms that have very weak wifi signal.

So I was wondering can I use my old bt hub 3 router with my TalkTalk  ( router Sagemcom)  (Fibre65 package) to increase the wifi signal around the whole house. If I can, can someone please provide me some instructions.

Thank for your time 

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

Message 1 of 5
Thank you for the advise
0 Likes

Message 2 of 5

Basically, connect an ethernet cable from one of the TT router's LAN ports to the BT Infinity port on the BT router (I am guessing here). Then log into both & set the SSIDs as appropriate & with the use of a WiFi analyser make sure none of the channels interferes with each other. In the 2.4GHz band, you can only use channels 1, 6 or 11.

You will only be able to manage each router from a device connected to its LAN, as static routes configured on the Sagemcom do not save, due to a bug.

You can use power line adapters instead of an ethernet cable, providing both units are on the same electrical supply.

The only downside to this setup is port forwarding. Double NAT is easily possible if the BT router will allow it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 3 of 5

thanks for the reply

I attached the picture of my old bt router.

Today I was being to set up wireless access point connecting Ethernet from talktalk router to the Bt hub(getting around 40Mbps download).

My other question : I want to put the other router in other part of the house but I don't want long ethernet cable  connecting both router, is there alternative method?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 4 of 5

Yes, you should be able to, but you need to think about how you are going to do this. The first consideration is does the BT router have an EWAN socket on it that would normally connect to a separate modem?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes