FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need a no-wifi cable router, not Super Router

MandatoryWifi
First Timer
Message 17 of 17

For years I have decided to limit unnecessary EMF (electromagnetic field) radiation in my home. Until recently, I was using an ancient TalkTalk no-wifi cable only router, admittedly it was slow but I was content it was wifi-free, therefore lower EMF. So TalkTalk sent me a 'Super Router which I did not actually request and as it had no obvious way to disable wifi I stored it in a cupboard and stuck with my cable only router. A few days ago TalkTalk converted my system to fibre so I am now forced to use the new Wifi 'Super Router'.

I phoned TalkTalk, at first, I was told wifi and EMF could be disabled. However in a second call I *think* I was told wifi cannot be disabled as the carrier signal with EMF remains even when wifi data is off. I asked for a third opinion and apparently this is true. Or is it?

Does anyone have experience of a cable only router working with TalkTalk fibre?

Can someone tell me what I need to buy? Nothing too fancy is required as I use a computer on the internet and another computer off the internet.

Thanks for any replies.

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

ferguson
Community Star
Message 1 of 17

live-long-and-prosper.jpeg

0 Likes

MandatoryWifi
First Timer
Message 2 of 17

I now have my paws on a RF meter! Did switching off wifi, truly remove the grizzly electromagnetic noise pounding through my home?

Can anyone bear the suspense? Drum roll .... do angry bears play drums or just break sticks? More drum roll ....

SOLVED! Thanks to 'Martswain' for explaining how to switch it off earlier in this topic. What a guy, over 400 solutions in this forum.

I am pleased to confirm TalkTalk Wifi is not mandatory. Even if one or two of their pleasant phone staff implied so. I reckon mine was a rare request, everyone in here wants wifi to work and I wanted it to stop working. For any other reader, in future, trying to switch it off, do not be confused by the system information page, that cannot be edited and possibly confused the phone person(s). After I rebooted the router I found another page where the 2.5GHz and the 5GHz signal can indeed be switched off. The wifi light goes off and the RF meter confirmed it is gone. The remaining electrical fields being generated is less than an average TV set.

The RFmeter also confirms Gavona is correct, the further away the wifi router the lower the EMF. I also found putting a metal sheet (e.g. biscuit tin without lid) in front of router (with wifi ON) could sheild the signal strength significantly from a person sitting close to it. Although I did not test it wifi still worked. I do not need wifi, so I switched it off completely. Remember folks I am not making any claims as to whether wifi is safe or not. I am not an expert, my choice to do so was purely precautionary.

Live long and proper (and prosper too)

Ted Paddington 😉

Message 3 of 17

Thanks Gavona, for the tip regarding a twisted pair, I will indeed follow your advice, the further away, the safer.

For readers late to the topic, a 'twisted pair' is a type of cable, not a reference to my next door neighbours.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 17

Ferguson my friend, personally I do not think 50Hz sinewave EMF is dangerous unless one lives in a ground floor flat where all the other flats have their electricity 'smart' meters in a stairway cupboard through just inches of wall to a bedroom. If I lived in such a 'smart' technology location, I would certainly put my headboard along another wall. Or sleep with my feet towards my partner's head.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 17

@fergusonI personally don't.   I said " If I shared your concerns ...."   I am simply trying to be respectful of the OP's concern and hopefully helping him to think about how he could address them.   Relocating things of concern would be a significant part of my approach. And as I said bricks or concrete are pretty good without getting to the extremes of metal plates or faraday cages (lead is not necessary for the sort of radiations we are discussing here). 

Thanks,
Gavona
0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 6 of 17

@Gavona I am just curious how you shield yourself from the EMF endemic in your home wiring, lead-lined walls?  

0 Likes

Gavona
Chat Champion
Message 7 of 17

The power brick that supplies the router will generate EMF signals too.  If I shared your concerns I would re-locate the router, including its power suplly to somewhere inside (or outside) the house as far as possible from where I spend most time, and with as much concrete or brick as possible between me and the router (Cuboard under the stairs surrounded by concrete blocks?)

Maybe you have a power supply in your shed or garage?

The connection between the Master socket and the router should be via a twisted pair cable.  One can buy a suitable 20m ADSL cable for around £20.  Although that will not be shielded the twisted pairs would minimise net radiation, as I understand it.

Personally I use such a cable (10 or 15m)  to relocate my router 4 m from the master socket as some years ago I found that EMF signals from all the audio video equipment and bricks around my master socket and TV was affecting the error count reported by the router. (Initially I noticed this because a faulty powerbrick was causing particular issues.  However Having corrected this I still found that I got a minor improvement in experienced speeds by relocating as described. )  The only downside is that if you ever have to talk to TalkTalk about a fault it is best to temporarily relocate the router so you can honestly say that you are using their cable and the master socket.

Thanks,
Gavona
0 Likes

bigkenny
Problem Solver
Message 8 of 17

Hi, Ha-ha nice one I even give you a LIKE all the best. I’m just off to check my maps to see if the world is indeed round and not flat as others would have you believe, live long and prosper!

0 Likes

MandatoryWifi
First Timer
Message 9 of 17

I did not come here to debate the safety of wifi, mobile phones or 5G, just to solve my problems. This is a company website, so I m not going to discuss it here. View it like France and other countries banning (or reducing) wifi from schools on precautionary principles. I am not certain, I have doubts on these issues. I find it easy to use cables, so I am going to use cables (for lower EMF) whenever possible.

Bigkenny, my screen name 'Mandatory Wifi' and profile with Tophat and 'Top Secret' are indeed nonsense  🙂 Everything else is sincere! And the joke name 'Mandatory Wifi' is purely due to losing my password. I signed up to talktalk using a gmail account, I hardly ever use and have lost the password and since I have changed router, gmail refuses to believe I am the same person.

So I will need to phone TalkTalk again, sooner or later, to change my account contact mail address, once I get past the robot receptionist (Mr Dunderhead?) who doesn't seem to understand my scottish accent, except for 'Yes' and 'No'. He didn't even understand 'Hows zit goin' pal?' or 'there's a moose, loose aboot this hoose' 😉 The real humans on the TalkTalk phones were pleasant and helpful even if the responses were contradictory on my questions about disabling Wifi.

bigkenny
Problem Solver
Message 10 of 17

Has April 1st come round early or what........is this some joke........?

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 11 of 17

Hey @MandatoryWifi indeed. I instantly thought of a couple of aphorisms:  either: "Live long and prosper; " or "We're all doomed." Take your pick, or choose your own. 😊

0 Likes

MandatoryWifi
First Timer
Message 12 of 17

Martswain, thank you very much, I am now more optimistic that radio signal can be stopped. I will borrow a RF meter, then follow your instructions to see if it works .... than I will report back.

Ferguson, yes you are right, EMF and wifi signals are everywhere, my goal is only to reduce exposure or strength of signals. I do use wifi sometimes at work and I do use a mobile phone in emergencies ... but not a home. Is it safe? Time will tell, not all the scientists agree.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 13 of 17

Switching off the WiFi will switch off the radio signals. Nothing can stop EMF radiation unless you live on an island in the middle of nowhere with no electricity, even that would be doubtful with the USA, Russia, China etc. and all their satellite and microwave communications. Sleep tight.  🙂

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 14 of 17

There are several models of Super Router from different manufacturers but the principle is the same.

Log in to the router dashboard at 192.168.1.1 from your browser using the username and password printed on the router.

These are not the same as the WiFi login.

Then navigate to the WiFi settings page and turn off the SSIDs, there will be separate setting for the two bands, save the changes.

Make sure your browser allows pop-ups as they may appear to ask you to confirm your changes.

You may be prompted to reboot the router at the end but I'm not sure about that part.

0 Likes

MandatoryWifi
First Timer
Message 15 of 17

Thanks for the reply Ferguson ... so I now have 5 opinions ...

-  2 TalkTalk persons implied the radio carrier signal still persists after wifi is off

- 1  TalkTalk person said disabling wifi would stop the radio signal

-  2 in this forum (one in a topic I read) said switching off wifi will stop the carrier wave.

Do I need to buy or borrow a RF detector to find the truth?  I'm not into technology.  First of all, how do I disable wifi on the 'Super Router' Is this done on my computer or is it done somewhere online at TalkTalk? The first TalkTalk person was going to do it for me, the second TalkTalk person told me it could not be done. . 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 16 of 17

I would have thought if WiFi is turned off then no radio signal is being transmitted. Otherwise, you could try and source a third-party device that suits your purpose, but I imagine that may be difficult to find these days. 

0 Likes