FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improve Line Speed?

jaimew22
First Timer
Message 11 of 11

Hello 

I was hoping someone could help/advise me. I recently moved to a new property (its been well over 2 weeks) and I am finding my fibre65 speed is right at the low end of my estimates. I seem to be getting between 52mbs and 54mbs to my router with devices getting between 50-53. My estimate was 52-74. I have always in the past at properties recieved speeds in the higher range of my estimate so wondered if anything can be done to improve this?

A few things I have already tried include using my test socket in my master socket, powering down the router for 30 mins and I have even changed to a new face plate as the one on moving in was faulty. I also noticed my line noise is at 6dB which I am not sure may also be effecting it?

I have spoken to live chat but was just taken through the usual things and didn't really get much help so just want to know if there is anything further I can do to get this speed at least towards the middle of my estimated range?

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Hi

Always worth a try, power off the router for 30 minutes to allow a new session to start, then with the router at the test socket, see if performance changes over 48hrs.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 2 of 11

Hey Debbie,

It hasn't no usually I have just popped it in and rebooted to see if it changes the speed at all. Is it worth me doing this? As happy to do so.

Thanks

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 3 of 11

Hi jaimew22

Sorry for the delay.

I've checked the connection stats and your line is in sync at 54.4mb.

Has the router been connected to the test socket for at least 48hrs without being rebooted?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 4 of 11

The point is generally moot as DLM tends to be far and away the over-riding factor after physical characteristics such as distance and line quality. And Openreach DLM as we are all aware is a frustrating force of automation which prevents human intervention in all but exceptional circumstances.

Trials and experiments from Openreach to improve performance on their FTTC estate seem to have dried up, hardly surprising as the FTTP rollout continues at ever increasing pace. 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 11

@ferguson wrote:

Oh, well that was certainly the impression you gave. OK, let me rephrase it: you cannot get a faster profile than 6dB from BT on certain cabinets; TalkTalk do run 3dB profiles from certain cabinets. The standard SNR margin for both providers remains 6dB. 

I certainly didn't mean to give that impression. I only mentioned SNR margin as I can tweak it with my router.

As I understand it, the standard SNR margin on ECI and most Huawei cabinets is 6dB. Some Huawei cabinets use a 3dB profile. I believe the SNR margins (like the DLM) is controlled by Openreach, however regardless of the SNR margin, ISPs can select from different line speed profiles.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 6 of 11

Oh, well that was certainly the impression you gave. OK, let me rephrase it: you cannot get a faster profile than 6dB from BT on certain cabinets; TalkTalk do run 3dB profiles from certain cabinets. The standard SNR margin for both providers remains 6dB. 

Message 7 of 11

@ferguson wrote:

@AllyM BT do not operate below 6dB on ECI cabs. 

I never said they did, but they do use faster line profiles, while TalkTalk use standard ones.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 8 of 11

@AllyM BT do not operate below 6dB on ECI cabs. 

0 Likes

AllyM
Insightful One
Message 9 of 11

@jaimew22 , My own speeds are very close to the low end of my estimates as well, so it's probably just the way it is.

6dB is the standard target SNR margin on most fibre cabinets. I have a third party router which has a function enabling it to negotiate a connection rate at lower downstream target SNR and therefore slightly faster speed - I can gain about 5Mbps by reducing it to 2dB and still with rock solid connection and relatively few errors.

The only other way to increase speed would be to change providers. BT (and probably some other, I'm not too sure) use faster profiles than TalkTalk. I know I would be changing to BT if I could afford it.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 10 of 11

Your speeds will largely depend on the distance from your cabinet along with the overall quality of the copper line. It all looks to be within the parameters you were advised. Very similar to my own by coincidence, as it happens!

The support team will of course check for any issues when they are back online from Monday. 

0 Likes