FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming calls cuts internet connection

John248
Participant
Message 48 of 48

Hello

At the beginning of February 2022 i had to upgrade to Fibre 65 as my contract was running out.

Previously i had been on Fibre 35.

On the go live date for Fibre65 around 8 Feb 2022. from this point onwards when an incoming phone call is received it disconnects the internet connection. It takes around 3mins for the internet connection to come back. 

Prior to this Fibre65 i have never had this problem. Was fine with Fibre35 and many many years of ADSL fastbroadband.

One of the TalkTalk help pages advised to let 3 weeks pass for the new Fibre65 connection to stabilize. This has has not worked.

What can i do fix the problem.

I would be fine with lowering speeds and any other settings a little back to what i had when had Fibre35 as that worked fine.

0 Likes
47 REPLIES 47

Message 1 of 48

Morning,

Ok please let us know how you get on and if you need any assistance with this.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 48

I not sure where exactly is wired to. When i opened the  face plate for the test socket i didnt see anything obvious. 2nd line of that extension cord. Main jist i can gather from dad is  the the word "branched off" split from main line.

I believe that 2nd line resulted from a 2nd phone line being installed when internet was dial up. A dedicated 2nd line for internet. But then that 2nd line number was cancelled when no longer required many years ago. 

I will have to stop pursing this for  a week or so. I cant risk fiddling around with internet until after easter as someone really relying on it for work. 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 3 of 48

Hard wired where? If directly to the backplate then that is wrong. If to the faceplate then there is hope! That's it really. It may have been suitable as a telephone extension, but certainly not for broadband. 

0 Likes

Message 4 of 48

I cant change that 2nd extension you see on the floor. It cant be disconnected by me. Its hard wired into the phoneline system somehow. In around year 2000 BT engineer came and branched off that 2nd extension somehow from somewhere on the main phone line or master socket. They ran the line through loft and ceiling space. I cant unplug that myself.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 48

I cant change that 2nd extension you see on the floor. It cant be disconnected by me. Its hard wired into the phoneline system somehow. In around 2000  BT engineer came and branched off that 2nd extension somehow from somewhere on the main phone line or master socket. They ran the line through loft and ceiling space. I cant unplug that myself.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 6 of 48

For the benefit of those who haven't seen the setup:

Screenshot 2022-04-11 at 19.03.20.pngScreenshot 2022-04-11 at 19.03.48.pngScreenshot 2022-04-11 at 19.04.07.png

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 7 of 48

@John248 Can you post a picture of your master socket with the faceplate removed, including showing the wiring attached to the reverse of the faceplate? Preferably use the camera/image option in the tool bar, rather than attach as a doc as you did previously. 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 8 of 48

@Skynet_TX I suspect a major part of the problem is the way that the extension wiring is connected to the master socket, see the pics posted earlier. 

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 9 of 48

If you get a chance to try things again in the TEST socket and find that it consistently works fine, then the next thing to do is to try the phone and router in the normal MASTER socket (i.e. with the faceplate attached again) and ensure you unplug everything from any phone extension sockets (including the microfilters). If you then get the problem again you can be pretty confident there is a fault with either your faceplate, the phone line between your master socket and the extension socket, or the extension socket itself.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 10 of 48

@John248 If you imagine that changing your Fibre connection speed will fix the issue of your phone disconnecting etc. then I am afraid you are mistaken. You need to sort out your internal wiring, that really is the top and bottom of it. 

martswain
Philosopher
Message 11 of 48

@John248 .

Nothing.

An upgrade from 35 to 65 does not involve any physical work at all on the phone line.

The 40 down/10 up speed cap is removed and the line can then reconnect at a higher speed (up to 80?20) as dictated by the length of the line to the fibre cabinet.

John248
Participant
Message 12 of 48

Just another question what happens when you are upgraded to the Fibre65 at the main exchange. Can they forget to plug in connect proper  leads into proper slots so incoming calls not diverted/ distributed properly.?

0 Likes

Message 13 of 48

Phone and routed connected to the TEST SOCKET by microfilter all is fine. Connection did not drop when answered an incoming phonecall.

connected to the MASTER SOCKET cut the internet connection when an incoming phonecall was answered.

I will try and get the Loyalty team to change me to Fibre35 as i knew that worked for 9months right from very 1st day went live.

If internet still drops when back on Fibre35 i will do more testing at the TEST SOCKET. Make  sure wasnt just a lucky co-incidence that internet held together.

I will get the Loyalty Team to look at this thread so can see genuine reason why need Fibre35, and cant keep Fibre65. I hope they let me change as its long term until end of this new contract. Difficult to operate with not being able to answer phonecalls through day.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 14 of 48

I'm also getting a bit confused, just to clarify :

The Test Socket is the socket inside your master socket that you can only get to when you have removed the faceplate.

The Master Socket is the socket on the faceplate itself that you would use when the faceplate is attached to the socket.

The key bit of information we need to know is does an incoming phone call cause your router to drop the connection when your router and phone are connected to the Test Socket via a microfilter, and does an incoming phone call cause your router to drop the connection when your router and phone are connected to the Master Socket via a microfilter.

If it works fine in the Test Socket, but drops the connection in the Master Socket then that proves the fault is somewhere internal within your home, if the connection drops when using the Test Socket then there may be a fault out on the external phone network.

martswain
Philosopher
Message 15 of 48

@John248 posts 27 and 32 seem to contradict each other.

You can connect a microfilter to the test socket and TWO pieces of equipment to that, router and handset

What happens when a call is answered in that configuration ?

Message 16 of 48

Hi,

Apologies for the confusion. I just meant could you re-connect the faceplate then connect the microfilter, router and phone at the main socket (not the test socket) to see if this still happens? If would like to change the package then I'd recommend contacting the Loyalty Team directly so that they can look into this further for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

John248
Participant
Message 17 of 48

Michelle.

I can only connect the one piece of equipment to the test socket. That is the the microfiter with the hub and phone connected. I need the phone connected to  receive the incoming call to see if the Internet cuts out when incoming call is answered

Which the incoming call does cut the Internet. 

I can't just plug the router into the test socket as then have no phone connected to test if incoming call answered cuts Internet

There is nothing I can change within my internal setup.

Please can just change me to fibre35 like I used to have. I was only forced onto fibre65 as fibre35 was apparently not an option anymore when the fibre35 contract was getting close to expiry. fibre35 worked fine for about 8 months from summer of 21 upto the day when I got converted to fibre65. But I do see fibre advertised on the talktalk website so it does exist.

My old phone wiring just does not seem to handle fibre65

0 Likes

Message 18 of 48

Morning,

Thanks for confirming. If the connection is ok when connected directly at the test socket then this would indicate a possible issue with the faceplate, internal wiring or a piece of equipment connected to the line. I'd recommend re-connecting the faceplate and then just re-connecting one piece of equipment at a time to see if you can locate what is causing the issue.

Thanks

martswain
Philosopher
Message 19 of 48

Reverting to a lower speed package that may or may not work with your obviously suspect internal wiring and/or equipment is not the way to go.

You need to find the root cause of your issue and fix that.

Message 20 of 48

@John248 wrote:

Connecting to the Master socket did not fix problem.  So that is ruled out.

I will wait for official support to come back to me see if they can lower the speed back to fibre35 levels. As i know that worked with my setup. Anyway 

I did say "... with any extension wiring disconnected."

If you want to change your package you will need to discuss this with the customer loyalty team. 

0 Likes