FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Drop-outs

holbrookian
Chatterbox
Message 8 of 8

In the last week our broadband (FTTC) service has started to suffer from intermittent pauses. This is most noticeable when streaming to a smart TV where the picture freezes for several seconds then picks up again. I have also noticed it occasionally when downloading to a PC and once during a speed test when the upload part of the test failed to complete.

The TV and PC are connected using TP Link power line adapters rather than WIFi.

The router shows a steady connection at about 62 Mbps (noise margin of 3.0 db) and the TP Link software reports more than adequate connection speeds of 250 to 300 Mbps. There are only 2 of us in the house so there is no internal contention for capacity.

On the TV, the 'pauses' occur even with low bit rates (e.g. 2.5 Mbps). Conversely, UHD content at 15 Mbps is normally fine with no pixelation.

Since the speed problem is noticeable with wired connections, I presume this is an external issue.

Perhaps you could offer some advice on how to resolve it.

By the way, I haven't found a way to do a speed test to a wired device on the TalkTalk service status page.  I used the thinkbroadband test.

Many thanks in advance!

APS
0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

Hi,

No Problem 🙂 Just post back here when you need us.

Regards,

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 2 of 8

Sorry for delay in responding - been a bit tied up. Can I please take a 'rain check' on the offer of a different router as I have some more checks to carry out inside my home? Some preliminary tests point to the intermittent slow-downs being caused by electrical interference affecting the TP Link powerline adapters on one circuit. They had been rock-solid for over 18 months.

I will contact TalkTalk again if the needed.

Also, I would like to say that I have been very happy with the broadband from TalkTalk. It has been more reliable and delivered a higher speed (over 10%) compared with the previous provider (who should remain nameless). Another grouse I had with them was the routine automatic reboots of the router even during daytime hours.

APS
0 Likes

Message 3 of 8

Hi holbrookian

Thanks for updating your Community Profile.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults, would you like me to send a different router for testing to see how the connection compares?

Thanks

Debbie

holbrookian
Chatterbox
Message 4 of 8

Thanks for reply. Profile now updated with phone numbers etc. as requested. Away at the moment so I won't be able to carry out tests, monitoring until Friday evening.

APS

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 8

Hi holbrookian,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name

• Telephone number

• Alternative contact number

•  

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

Chris

holbrookian
Chatterbox
Message 6 of 8

No, the router does not reboot (which normally takes quite some time) and the pause/drop out is from seconds to about a minute.

Last night when watching a Netflix HD stream the bit rate shown by Netflix dropped from 2.5 Mbps to 0.16 Mbps for a minute or so. It was noticeable due to blocky pixels.

APS
0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 7 of 8

Hi

When the connection drops, does it come back up on its own again without rebooting the router ?

Do the lights on the ont remain lit.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes