FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent internet for several days

fjama1
Conversation Starter
Message 24 of 24

Hi,

Since September 2020, off the back of an issue that required several visits from Openreach, service has been nothing but exceptional with sync speeds of 79999kbps.

However, storm Arwen hit, the internet has not been stable whatsoever. When I go into the settings of the wifi hub I am greeted with a minus noise margin, VDSL connection dropping and the flashing amber light from the wifi hub. This happens several times an hour. I am resorting to using a personal hotspot and am typing this post on my laptop.

talktalk issue.PNG

What's weirder is my neighbours are reporting stability issues but doesn't affect neighbours who use Virgin Media. I had a new wifi hub and tested with that and the issue still occurs. My neighbours have said that the connection drops once or twice daily. I don't know what to make of this but stated it here just in case it's relevant.

I had this issue in August 2020 (Fibre connection dropping) which required several visits from Openreach. The conclusion I had for the root cause was very different and incorrect. After several visits and finger-pointing by both TalkTalk and Openreach, the Openreach engineer advised that it was the weather at the time which was very rainy for August and did something on the line.

Other than waiting for the storm/snow to clear and seeing if there is an improvement, is there anything that can be done? My family need internet for work/study and the household cannot rely on personal hotspots. 

0 Likes
23 REPLIES 23

Message 1 of 24

Afternoon,

Thanks for confirming 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 24

Hi,

Sorry for the late response. It's been rock stable, not a single disconnect all week. Looks like it's been resolved.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 24

Morning,

Is the connection/stability still ok since your last post?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 24

Hi

Got one from eBay and installed it. All stable for the last 48 hours.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 24

Hi

It is straightforward to replace a faceplate if there are no extensions running from it.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 6 of 24

I do not have an extension. I have sought a replacement and replacing it isn't that difficult.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 24

Hi fjama1

Apologies for this. It has always been the case that the face plate is classed as your own equipment. Do you have extension sockets wired to the face plate?

If you would prefer to purchase a replacement yourself then this could be an alternative option to an engineer visit.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 24

@Debbie-TalkTalk You have been very helpful but with all due respect, you must be kidding me right?

There is no evidence of damage to the faceplate. I have been honest throughout and surely if it is classed as "own equipment" then I should be able to sort a replacement or be advised where to get a replacement from. I should also be able to access instructions on how to replace a faceplate.

I have had Openreach replace the faceplate at no charge twice in the last 3 years. The engineer advised that some faceplates are prone to failure. 

As I don't have any extension sockets, I can just leave the microfilter connected to the test socket without any problem.

Prices don't look half bad on eBay. I'm assuming it's a £65 charge from Openreach.  Must be having a laugh!

0 Likes

Message 9 of 24

Hi fjama1

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Just to advise, the engineer visit would be chargeable as Openreach only maintain the line up to the test socket.

The faceplate is classed as your own equipment.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 10 of 24

Hello @Chris-TalkTalk & @Debbie-TalkTalk 

I have been using the test socket since yesterday. Other than a disconnect in the early hours of the morning (2AM) which I'm assuming is just the usual resync, it's been rock solid and am getting good speeds. (I'm not going to complain about losing around 6mbps)

talktalk issue 2.PNG

Can an Openreach visit be arranged for sometime late next week so that work can be done on the master socket, please?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 24

OK thanks, look forward to hearing how you get on

Chris

Message 12 of 24

Hi @Chris-TalkTalk 

Let's see if it remains stable. I will provide an update tomorrow afternoon. If it is stable then we know it's the master socket and a visit can then be arranged.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 24

OK thanks, if it is a problem with the prefiltered faceplate then yes it will probably need an Openreach engineer visit

Chris

0 Likes

Message 14 of 24

Hi,

It is the only socket I have in the property.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 24

Hi fjama1,

Thanks for the update, is this socket the only telephone socket in your home, or do you have additional extension sockets?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 16 of 24

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk @Chris-TalkTalk 

It's been an hour and it's pretty stable for now to be honest. The router being used is another router @Chris-TalkTalk

I will leave it for now and see if it drops out. If it doesn't then we know what the issue is ( pre filtered master socket).

If it is the pre filtered master socket I'm assuming its going to require an openreach visit -  Is this correct? 

0 Likes

Message 17 of 24

Hi fjama1,

Do you have another router that you can test with?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 18 of 24

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk 

I am using the talktalk wifi hub and it is connected to the test socket with a filter, it was hard to find but found a filter in the end in the original box the hub came with. Internet is back on now so will see if this works.

IMG_20211130_113836.jpg

IMG_20211130_113859.jpg

Message 19 of 24

Hi fjama1

Are you using the TalkTalk router? Is anything else connected to the test socket except the router and filter?

0 Likes

fjama1
Conversation Starter
Message 20 of 24

Hi @Skynet_TX 

I have done a connection test yesterday and it did not detect any faults.

0 Likes