FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet being throttled

Steve270783
Popular Poster
Message 27 of 27

Hello all,

Yesterday my Internet speed was extremely slow and again today. I'm on a 40mbps subscription and getting around 4-5 on the talk talk speed checker.

After a painful 2 hours online chat to the technical team yesterday where all they did was remotely restart my router 3 times. Constantly telling me my line is fine and there are no issues in my area. I am only able to steam extremely low quality footage like old programs from 2004 on Iplayer.

After speaking to my friend who is an installer for SKY I've ran multiple speed tests from different sites. With and without a VPN being used. 

The results varied between 3-7 mbps without a vpn and 12-31with a vpn turned on. With a VPN on every test was faster, usually around 100% but often much more.

The only conclusion is I'm having my services throttled. This has prevented me from watching the motorcycle racing today of which I'm a keen fan.

How do I get this throttling removed my line?

This is having a large impact on my home entertainment. I've uploaded some pictures to show the difference between VPN and non VPN speeds.

Please note the times being only 1 minute apart and the key in top right for VPN on or off.

Screenshot_20210530-173231_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210530-173311_Chrome.jpg

0 Likes
26 REPLIES 26

Message 1 of 27

Hi Steve270783

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange an engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 27

Please sort an engineer ASAP. This is seriously annoying now after 1.5 weeks.

Sadly I can't cancel my contract until next month when it's up for renewal.

The router is installed correctly, tried it at both phone sockets in the house with same result.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 3 of 27

Hi,

Our team have taken a look and advised that the speed to the router does look low. They have asked if the router is currently connected to the test socket? If all testing has been completed at the test socket with 2 different routers then the next step will be to arrange engineer visit to the property.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 27

Hello,

I've passed this over to our team now and asked if they can have a look and rule out/locate any network issues and I will post back here as soon as I receive an update back.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 27

It was always low on the talktalk test with vpn compared to speedtest.net. Still substantially quicker that without a vpn though, around 100% faster.

Is the problem likely to be something in my house? Wires? I think an engineer could be the way to go, although my contract expires next month and I won't be renewing after this!!

Have the network team come back with anything?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 27

Hi,

Thanks for running this. Both speed tests now look low in comparison to the sync speed. Are the speeds when connected to VPN now also low? If the speeds are now low at all times when connected wired to the router then the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to the property. Would you like to go ahead with this?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 7 of 27

Please forward this on to the network team?

Also can we look at an engineer?

Does the test you can do go right the way to the router? Or does it stop at the box at the end of the street?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 27

Hi Michelle.

Just done a speed test on the talktalk test and it's roughly 100% faster using a VPN. Please see the pics 

Screenshot_20210608-115504_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210608-115349_Chrome.jpg

0 Likes

Message 9 of 27

Hi Steve,

If the speeds are much faster when connecting to VPN via your TalkTalk connection then I think that we should ask our Network Team to take a look. Could you run a speed test using the TalkTalk Speed Tester when connected to VPN so we can see these results and we can then ask our Network Team to take a look. Could you also run a wired ping and trace route for both too.

Thanks

Message 10 of 27

So tried the new router that turned up and again I'm getting 4mbps and 30 with a VPN turned on.

What can the engineer test? Are you only able to test the line to the Box at the end of the street? If you're telling me that I'm getting 40mbps input to the router and all 3 are putting out 9 at very best, what else can they detect?

This is extremely infuriating!!!

Cheers

Screenshot_20210607-204659_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210607-204615_Chrome.jpg

0 Likes

Message 11 of 27

Hi Steve270783

All the usual tests are clear and the router sync speed is showing as 40mb, but I can see the throughput at the router is around 9mb.

Next option is to arrange an openreach engineer to look at this.  Would you like to arrange this ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 12 of 27

So the router to test with hasn't arrived yet.

However I've picked up the router from my other house that's unoccupied atm. It's the exact same router and I'm getting exactly the same results of a mere 4 to 5 mbps but substantially more with a VPN.

I think it's time to hit compare the meerkat!

0 Likes

Message 13 of 27

Hi Steve270783

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 14 of 27

I'll say yes, how long will it take to arrive?

I don't actually think it is the router as speed increases lots using a vpn but it will eliminate that fault.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 15 of 27

Hi Steve,

Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes?

Thanks

Message 16 of 27

I did try my old BT router from my other house but I couldn't get that to work.

How would I get hold of a router for fault diagnosis purposes

Thanks

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 17 of 27

Hi Steve,

I'm sorry to hear this. If the speeds are also slow during the day then I think we should test with a different router. Do you have an alternative router that you can test with? If not then we can send a replacement router for testing purposes. We would also send a router returns bag so that one of the routers can be returned.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 18 of 27

Still getting a pathetic 5-6 MBPS when doing a speed test.

I think I should make some calls tomorrow and look for a new ISP.

Thanks 

0 Likes

Message 19 of 27

Michelle thanks for looking in to it.

I'm not back from work for another few hours so I can only test then.

Cheers

0 Likes

Message 20 of 27

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the additional information. Would it be possible to run another speed test now so I can compare the daytime speed result to the evening/weekend ones please?

Thanks

0 Likes