FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet dropping during the night - router upgrade

plemons
First Timer
Message 20 of 20

My internet will start sporadically dropping during the night time/early morning. I use my internet very heavily and this isn't acceptable.

Alongside this I frequently get very low upload speeds around 0.6Mbps whereas I should be sitting around 10 times higher than that 5-6Mbps.

Apparently there are no faults on my line, however when I do a line test on the website it shows a fault, so I have conflicting information here.

Please can my Huawei DG8041W router be upgraded to 1.06t to rule out that it is a router issue?

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19

Message 1 of 20

Morning,

Thanks for the update and I'm glad to hear that the connection has remained stable 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

plemons
First Timer
Message 2 of 20

Internet has not dropped since I plugged the filter and everything back in.

When I called up TalkTalk and discussed cancelling I was informed that during the first month there is a high chance of drops due to figuring out speeds or something. I guess it's sorted itself out.

Thanks for all the help.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 20

Morning,

Just checking back in to see how you're getting on?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 20

Hi plemons

Thank you. Please let us know how the connection compares.

Debbie 🙂

0 Likes

plemons
First Timer
Message 5 of 20

In the spirit of being thorough, I'll reconnect the faceplate, will update again in a bit with my findings 🙂

Message 6 of 20

Hi plemons

Thanks for keeping us updated.

it's up to you. You can stay connected at the test socket or you can try re connecting the face plate to see how the connection compares.

Debbie

0 Likes

plemons
First Timer
Message 7 of 20

Okay so, connected to my test socket, I've had a stable internet connection for at least 15 days - I just blew a breaker so my uptime has reset though.

Should I reconnect the filtered Frontplate and see if it drops? I don't really have an issue with stating connected to the test socket though.

Message 8 of 20

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

plemons
First Timer
Message 9 of 20

Okay thank you, I'll report back soon.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 20

Hi

That's great, If you can test directly for a while at this point to see if the connection still drops, especially over night.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

plemons
First Timer
Message 11 of 20

Okay I went one level deeper, please see the photos:

IMG20220520151953.jpg

IMG20220520151958.jpg

 Okay I'm getting internet now

0 Likes

Message 12 of 20

Hi

Look closely at the socket, when removing the front cover, there is often a second section that is removed, as this is the filter that the top socket uses.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

plemons
First Timer
Message 13 of 20

Just an FYI I don't get internet when it's connected like this

0 Likes

plemons
First Timer
Message 14 of 20

Okay I've attached the router to the test socket, please see attached to ensure I've done this correctly

IMG20220520145536.jpg

IMG20220520145539.jpg

IMG20220520145843.jpg

0 Likes

Message 15 of 20

Hi

The socket will have a test socket inside.

Please look at our article 

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Your-guide-to-main-phone-sockets/ta-p/2205432

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

plemons
First Timer
Message 16 of 20

I'm not sure what a test port is. My master socket has two ports, the top filtered port and the one on the bottom that isn't in use.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 20

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see re-connections on the line. Does your main socket have a test socket please?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 18 of 20

Ah okay, no kernel panic errors as far as I can see.

Hopefully they can figure something out - I've only had the internet for 10 days so this is quite frustrating to already have issues 😕

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 19 of 20

Hi @plemons,

Firmware 1.06t only fixes one specific issue related to the router rebooting with a 'kernel panic' error. If you log into the router and check the log at :

Dashboard > See Internet Settings > Manage advanced settings > Advance Configuration > Maintenance Diagnostics > User Log

If you do see any mentions of 'Kernel Panic' at the times your router drops the connection then an upgrade to 1.06t will stop that happening, but if you don't see any 'kernel panic' errors then an upgrade to 1.06t is not likely to help.

The support team here will hopefully be able to respond tomorrow to help more.

0 Likes