FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet drops and blue light not working on router

MarkInglis
Participant
Message 24 of 24

Internet keeps dropping randomly. Have the Huawei-DG8041W router. Tried splitting networks to 5g and 2.4g, it worked for a while but now the internet keeps dropping again constantly. Also the light on the router isn't working, even when the internet seems to be connected. The orange lights work on reset fine, but the blue light that used to come on to say it was connected is just blank. Any help here would be great. Thank you! P.S not possible to connect anything to ethernet, everything in the house is wireless.

0 Likes
23 REPLIES 23

Message 1 of 24

Hi MarkInglis

I'm sorry for the delay.

I have now switched off the WIFI optimisation. @KeithFrench.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 24

Hi @MarkInglis 

Before I can help you, as I said in my post #19, you first need to request WiFi Optimisation be disabled. Please re-read the last paragraph for details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 24

If you can help that would be great. Not sure why the 2.4G has just decided not to work at all. 5G works fine for the most part, downstairs, but because upstairs at the back of the house is far from the router, it drops loads. 

Message 4 of 24

So do you want my help or not as per my last post?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 5 of 24

The issue with this is... The 5G will not reach upstairs and the 2.4G for some reason doesn't work at all now. Not even after resetting the router. If the router was in the middle of the house I think it would fix the whole issue. When we had Sky broadband it was in the middle of the house and we rarely had issues with it. If the engineer had put the extension into the middle of the house when we first had fibre installed I'm pretty sure things would have been working fine.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 24

Hi @MarkInglis 

@Michelle-TalkTalk has asked me to help you. First off the LED can be turned off in the configuration of the router, which will stay off except when rebooted, but will go out again when the internet is up.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

There is another approach, rather than splitting the SSID names, which can be better, which is to use Band Steering. This will automatically move any 5G compatible device connected to the 2.4G band to the 5GHz band. To use this facility on the Wi-Fi Hub, leave both network names identical. However, neither approach will actually fix the problem.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

There is one further complication with the Sagemcom hub, which needs addressing before I can help you further. A TalkTalk remote diagnostic utility called "WiFi Optimisation" needs to be turned off, otherwise, this can override any changes I might recommend be made to the router. Please can you request that TalkTalk disable this feature on your Sagemcom (assuming that you are using this router currently) in your reply?

Once done, if you want my further help, please let me know.

Keith

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 7 of 24

Hi Mark,

I've re-checked the connection stats now and the sync speed looks really consistent and the connection also looks stable. @KeithFrench - Would you be able to offer any additional advice in regards to the wireless connection?

Thanks

Message 8 of 24

Hi Debbie. Thanks for the reply. Nothing can be connected to wired. The router isn't in the most convenient place so everything needs to be on wifi.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 24

Hi Mark

I'm so sorry to hear this.

Can I just check, do you have any devices connected wired? Are they experiencing the same issue?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 10 of 24

New router setup. Split the SSID. First night disconnected. Last night disconnected. Now the 2.4ghz won't stay connected and the connection is very unstable for my xbox and PC upstairs. Can't move it closer. I have a signal booster for the 2.4g which says it has 100% signal strength but the internet still keeps disconnecting repeatedly.

The 5g won't stay connected upstairs either it's only 50% strength. The engineer that initially installed our first router said we wouldn't need it to be in the middle of the house because it would reach everywhere and be a strong signal. We haven't had a strong signal since day one.

SO I had to buy a signal booster, which helped a bit, but now the internet disconnects all the time. Today it's been really awful. The lights are all working on the new router though. I need this fixed, some of my work from home needs to be done on the internet and I can't do it because of constant disconnects.

Even trying to send this post through, disconnected 3 times.... 4 times now.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 24
0 Likes

Message 12 of 24

Great, thank you. Hope it fixes the issues. Will let you know how it goes when it arrives.

Message 13 of 24
Yes, the replacement will be free of charge

Message 14 of 24

Is the new router free? I hope there is no hidden costs for this. The internet today has been atrocious, can't stay connected for more than 15 minutes without being thrown out then reconnecting again. It's happening repeatedly today.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 24

Okay, thank you, will let you know how it gets on.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 24

Hi Mark

I've ordered you the Sagemcom WIFI hub for testing, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 17 of 24

Thanks for the reply. Nope, no alternative router available here. If you send another, would it be able to be a different model? Been seeing a lot of negative feedback for the huawei-dg8041w.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 18 of 24

Hi Mark,

Do you have an alternative router that you can test with to rule this out? If not then we can send a replacement router for testing purposes.

Thanks

Message 19 of 24

Just another quick update. The internet disconnected again. The light on the router still isn't working.

0 Likes

Message 20 of 24

Thank you for the reply. Yes it has a test socket. The phone has a dial tone, working fine. I reset maybe 3 times. The internet seems a bit more stable yesterday, but still no light on the router. I think it might be knackered. Been seeing a lot of bad things about the router we have. QoS issues, which seems to be the case here too.

0 Likes