FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet light on open reach modem

billc1
Conversation Starter
Message 19 of 19

Hi, this is the 3rd post for this. I cannot find the others anywhere so sorry if I am duplicating.

I have upgraded to Fibre 150 from Fibre 65. The engineer came last Friday 15th July to set up the new hub and modem. When he left I noticed the green internet light on the modem was not illuminated, the other 3 were fine. When I checked speed I am only getting up to 40/50 Mbps the same as I had with fibre 65. I should be getting a least 110 Mbps. Having complained to customer advisor they said there was a fault and the engineer would fix it from the street box on the Saturday. nothing has changed, Contacted again and they said the system needs 10 days to settle down. It's now 6 days and nothing has changed. My understanding is if the internet light is not on then the modem is not connecting to the internet to give me the extra speed. This cannot be fixed by letting things settle down it needs an engineer to replace or reset the modem. I have tried resetting both modem and hub. Changing and reconnecting the leads but nothing changes.

Talk talk Wi Fi Hub. Device version - Fast 5364-3T8. Router address - 192.168.1.1

Open reach modem is. Sage m com. Model MT992. Checking my account it shows there is a problem but nothing is being done. Can anyone advise or help me. Thanks Bill C

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18

Message 1 of 19

Hi

Engineer has been booked for Thursday 29th AM (8-1).

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

billc1
Conversation Starter
Message 2 of 19

Hi,

Any joy with booking the engineer ?

0 Likes

billc1
Conversation Starter
Message 3 of 19

Anytime. AM or PM is fine with me. Except for this Friday.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 19

Hi billc1

Thanks for confirming your details. Please can you also provide your availability for this visit AM and PM?

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 5 of 19

Hi billc1

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange an engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

billc1
Conversation Starter
Message 6 of 19

Thanks Debbie been pulling my hair out with your colleagues over he phone.

0 Likes

billc1
Conversation Starter
Message 7 of 19

Hooray. I've been asking that for the last 10 days.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 19

Hi billc1

If you are experiencing a fault with the Openreach modem then will need to arrange an engineer visit.

Would you like me to arrange this visit?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

billc1
Conversation Starter
Message 9 of 19

2 tests. 

Hardwired  connected to the router  ==  143 Mbps download

Wi- Fi   =====   9.8 Mbps download.

The problem is the internet light on the MODEM is not lighting up which means it is not connecting to the internet and therefore not boosting the signal. until the modem connects then I will never get the correct speed as this boosts the signal. I have checked the red LAN wire is connected correctly from the modem to the router and that the grey wire is connected correctly from the open reach box to the modem.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 19

Hi,

Would it be possible to run a few wired speed tests so we can see how these compare. If the wired speeds are consistent then we can offer more advice in regards to the wireless connection.

Thanks

0 Likes

billc1
Conversation Starter
Message 11 of 19

Wireless

0 Likes

Message 12 of 19

Hi,

Thanks for confirming. Are you connected wired or wireless when the speeds are varying?

Thanks

0 Likes

billc1
Conversation Starter
Message 13 of 19

Hi. Between 10 and 40 Mbps depending on time and device. Just got 40 on my mobile phone. Today is day 10 past my go live date and through the "settling down period". I was told to ring back if nothing had changed, which it hasn't.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 14 of 19

Morning,

I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. What speeds are you seeing at the moment when you run a speed test?

Thanks

0 Likes

billc1
Conversation Starter
Message 15 of 19

Yes, been back on to customer services yesterday and was told I have to wait 10 days for the system to settle in. They say the internet light will come on by then. I'm not convinced but I have no choice in the matter. Looks like I'm going to have to wait about 2 weeks to get my upgrade, I hope that's reflected in my next Bill !!

0 Likes

Message 16 of 19

I agree the light should be on whether it's settling down or not.

Is the current issue still showing in Service centre as still in progress?

Steve -
Have you tried turning it off and on again!
0 Likes

billc1
Conversation Starter
Message 17 of 19

Yes tried all the usual things. Turn on and off. Disconnect and reconnect wires. Left it switched on to settle. Rebooted both the hub and the modem. The engineer was at the street cabinet last Saturday and I was told the fault was fixed. It obviously isn't because the internet light on the modem is still off showing it's not connected. Customer service just say give it time to settle down but the modem is obviously not connected to the internet otherwise the light would be illuminated, no amount of settling down will fix that. It needs someone ie. an engineer, to physically fix it

0 Likes

Ste_Nix14
Community Star
Message 18 of 19

If your My account is stating a ongoing issue and its a external issue  then this will be worked on usually without entering your property. Maybe an issue with the cabinet or in exchange.

You will usually get a update regarding work progress /completion.

Support staff on here may be able to update you if you hang about or you could contract the relevant dept directly.

Steve -
Have you tried turning it off and on again!
0 Likes