FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet loses connection mainly on Ethernet.

Pal353
Super Duper Contributor
Message 24 of 24

I see that other customers have informed you of an intermittent loss of connection. My router is Huawei HG633 and a check at the service centre informs me that it is working fine. But I am increasingly getting a red light on the internet light, mainly when I switch on one of my laptops which are connected with an Ethernet cable. The light turns green after a minute or so. I have done the standard check of switching the router off and disconnecting the cable. The router is set to “always on”. I was upgraded to fibre broadband in January. The phone line is fine, now that I have the double ringtone again. I have not yet changed the micro filter. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Pal353
0 Likes
23 REPLIES 23

Message 1 of 24

Hi Pal353

I'm so glad to hear this 🙂

Thanks for letting us know.

Debbie

0 Likes

Pal353
Super Duper Contributor
Message 2 of 24

Hi Debbie et al.

A young and very helpful Openreach engineer has visited this morning (with a mentor) and has carried out a series of tests and repairs. I am confident that he has solved the disconnection/reconnection issue. Thanks again for your help.

Pal353

Message 3 of 24
0 Likes

Pal353
Super Duper Contributor
Message 4 of 24

Many thanks Debbie. I will of course feedback to you.

Pal353

Message 5 of 24

Hi Pal353

Thanks for your reply.

I have arranged the engineer visit for 18/06 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Pal353
Super Duper Contributor
Message 6 of 24

Thanks for your reply, Michelle. I am away from Wednesday 23rd to Friday 25th. Any time before then or in the week commencing Monday 28th is fine at present. It is the same fault as before so I assume the cause is in the green Openreach box 300 metres from my house.

Pal353
0 Likes

Message 7 of 24

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've re-run a line test now which is clear, however I can see a few re-connections on the line. Would it be possible to provide some more availability please and we can arrange this for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

Pal353
Super Duper Contributor
Message 8 of 24

Sadly, the fault has recurred. After a few days without problems, the internet connection was lost yesterday and again this evening before reconnecting. It makes it very difficult to have a Zoom conversation with my family or watch iPlayer etc. It is exactly the same fault as last week which I thought had been fixed.

As the fault was diagnosed last Thursday 10th in a green Openreach cabinet, I must reluctantly ask you to arrange for another engineer to visit. You have all my personal information from last week. Thank you.

Pal353
0 Likes

Message 9 of 24

Hi

Glad the engineer spotted an issue.

It may be a lot cheaper to source a local telecoms engineer to replace the socket etc as Openreach will charge around £128 for this.  I try to do my own wiring where possible.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Pal353
Super Duper Contributor
Message 10 of 24

Hi Karl et al. The Openreach engineer has called and has found a worn wire in the green Openreach cabinet 330 metres from my house. He has replaced this and the signal on his testing device has changed from amber to green, so the immediate problem is solved and I must thank you for your assistance in this matter. Over many years, I have invariably found the OCE's very helpful and whatever criticisms are made of TalkTalk Customer Service categorically does not apply to all of you. Indeed, if not for you, I would have left TalkTalk years ago.

In the long term, he suggested switching the wiring to my two sockets so that the router is run off the main socket. This would apparently require a different test socket with a double wire. The test socket I have was fitted comparatively recently, certainly within the last five years. As the only way to contact Openreach is through ISP's, I may at some future date ask you to arrange this and fully understand that the cost will be chargeable to me.

Thanks again for your help.

Pal353
0 Likes

Message 11 of 24

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Pal353
Super Duper Contributor
Message 12 of 24

Thanks Karl. I will report back in due course.

Pal353
0 Likes

Message 13 of 24

Hi

Engineer booked Thursday 10th PM (1-6).

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Pal353
Super Duper Contributor
Message 14 of 24

Thanks Karl. I have replied to your PM and completed the verification process, in both cases, correctly, I hope.

Pal353
0 Likes

Message 15 of 24

Hi

i'll send you a PM to confirm some details for an engineer.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Pal353
Super Duper Contributor
Message 16 of 24

Thanks for your reply Debbie. I have tested another phone at the test socket with the router disconnected. My wife, who has excellent hearing, can hear a faint hissing sound on this analogue phone the same as on our standard digital one.

The fault is therefore continuous but as I have said, the loss of the internet connection on iPads and ethernet laptops is intermittent. It is nevertheless irritating to lose the connection, particularly during a Zoom session with family. So please book an Openreach engineer visit for me.

Many thanks.

Pal353
0 Likes

Message 17 of 24

Hi Pal353

I can arrange an Openreach engineer visit to investigate the noise on the line as this can affect the BB connection.

Can I just check, was the noise still present with a different phone at the test socket, with the router removed from the line?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Pal353
Super Duper Contributor
Message 18 of 24

Hello again. Although I stated that I would leave this problem until next week, I have a son-in-law who is skilled in IT and he has this afternoon tested the Huawei router at the test socket. The router responded with the same fault as in its normal position. The downstream line noise was very similar with both figures in the mid-70’s. He also noticed a hissing noise on the phone line, which I, being old and deaf, had not noticed. His conclusion was that there is no fault with the router and equally important no fault with my internal wiring. The fault lies with the external wiring which can only be corrected by an Openreach engineer. Therefore I must now ask you to request that an Openreach engineer Is contacted to seek a resolution to my disconnection problem, which now occurs with all my devices, whether Ethernet or iPad. Many thanks.

Pal353
0 Likes

Message 19 of 24

Hi Pal353

We completely understand, there is no rush.

Thanks

Debbie 🙂

0 Likes

Pal353
Super Duper Contributor
Message 20 of 24

Thanks again, Michelle. I will do as you suggest but it will be next week once my grandchildren have returned home. It is the first time in many months that we have seen them and for once family matters take priority. I will get back to you next week. I have changed the microfilter and have now eliminated that as a possible cause. I can also test the phone easily but the router is another matter.

Pal353