FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet over WiFi keeps dropping

billyf
Popular Poster
Message 15 of 15

Hello, I have been using my current broadband since last August / September but over the past few weeks (probably around 2-3 months) my WiFi connection would drop intermittently (shows as 'connected' on my devices but unable to connect to the internet / load websites etc., and this happens on the few devices connected through WiFi so it's not my device's issue).

Sometimes this occurs more than once a day, sometimes every few days. The wired internet connection works fine when this happens and the light on the router still shows up white (normal). The only way to fix it is to either switch the router off and on again, or restart the router via the portal. Disabling / enabling WiFi doesn't resolve the issue either so it's getting disruptive with the long time it takes to restart the router to fix the problem.

I'm using the Sagecom FAST router version SG4K10002816t.

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

Message 1 of 15

Hi billyf

That's great news, thanks for letting us know 🙂

@steve12341 - Please can you create a new topic on the Community, we can then look into this for you.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

steve12341
Popular Poster
Message 2 of 15

Hi,

I've been with talktalk since the start of March and am using a Sagemcom Fast 5364 with software SG4K10002816t.

Similar to billyf, I'm also getting this dropout issue. Its been happening for a month or so. I've split the bands and it is particularly bad on the 5GHz band, to the point where I now can't use the band, but it overloads the 2.4GHz band when both myself and the wife are working from home at the same time. Interference from other devices isn't an issue

Is it possible for someone from TalkTalk to look into it please?

Thanks

Steve

0 Likes

Message 3 of 15

Just an update. I've been using the new router for about 2-3 weeks now and so far the issue hasn't recurred. I guess it's probably a faulty router / firmware issue with the previous router. Thanks!

Message 4 of 15

Hi billyf

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie 🙂

0 Likes

Message 5 of 15
That's great, thank you!

Message 6 of 15

Hi

I've ordered a Huawei Hub for you.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Message 7 of 15

Hi Debbie, thanks for getting back to me. Yes please, I think it would be worth trying another router in case it's something to do with this model / firmware. Thank you.

Message 8 of 15

Hi billyf

Apologies for this.

Would you like me to send you a Huawei WIFI hub to see how the connection compares?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 9 of 15

Hopefully, I have also tried changing my DNS to Google DNS / OpenDNS and the problem still persists. Like you said, if it's a DNS problem then it will probably affect both wired and wireless connection. Thanks for the suggestions!

Message 10 of 15
Yep, if both bands are affected then Wi-Fi interference is less likely to be the cause.

There is a known issue with the current version of firmware for the Sagemcom that can cause DNS resolution errors, this can cause issues where the light remains white, but you lose internet connectivity, and a reboot will often resolve it for a period of time. So it is possible you are suffering from this issue. In many case it affects both wired and wireless, but I have seen other posts on here where people sound like they may be having this issue and it only affects wired or wireless.

If you were suffering from this issue then there is a new release of the firmware in test at the moment that will resolve the DNS problem, but the release date has not yet been confirmed. If the staff here did think you may be suffering from this issue then they may suggest trying a different make of router, they will hopefully be able to respond tomorrow to assist further.

Message 11 of 15

Hi @Skynet_TX , thanks for the suggestions. I have already switched on dual band and when it drops connection, both bands are affected (eventhough it's just on 1 SSID but I can see devices being connected to both bands on router WiFi settings page and all those devices in both bands won't work).

I haven't tried changing the channel but if the devices in both bands stop working at the same time (and that means they're probably on different channels even when it's left to select automatically), this probably won't solve the problem either.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 15

Hi @billyf,

There are a few things you could try to see if it is Wi-Fi interference causing the problems.

Split the SSID's on the router, this will allow you to give the 2.4GHz and 5GHz network bands different names, so your Wi-Fi devices will then see those two networks separately, you can then try connecting to one or the other to see if one gives a more reliable connection than the other. Doing this in itself won’t fix the problem, but it makes it easier to troubleshoot as you can easily see what device is using what band.

Change the channels that your router broadcasts the Wi-Fi signal on, you can use free smartphone Apps like this to see what channels are being used within range of your smartphone, you can then change your router to use channels that are less congested.

If trying the above makes no difference then it may indicate an issue with the router, the staff here would be able to help with that.

The Sagemcom router has a 'feature' called 'Wi-Fi Optimisation', this means it can change the Wi-Fi channel itself, overriding what you have set it to, it can randomly do this after minutes, hours or days !. So if you do find a channel that works well, but then things go bad again, check to see if the router has changed channel to something different to what you set it to. If you do experience this problem then just post back here to ask the staff to disable the 'Wi-Fi Optimisation' on your router, once that is done it will stay on whatever channel you set it to.

It may even be that it is the router switching channels that actually causes the drop, it would be interesting to see if both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz drop at the same time (if you are able to have different devices connected to both of them to test with).

Message 13 of 15

@ssm90My issue is different in the sense that all devices will show as 'connected', not 'connected, no internet'. Also, when it happens, all devices connected through WiFi will stop getting internet; whereas in your case, only 1 or 2 devices were affected at any time. My wired connection never stopped working at all - it's only the WiFi that's problematic.

0 Likes

ssm90
Chatterbox
Message 14 of 15

Hi Billy, I'm having the exact same issue and have been trying to get it resolved for about a month now. I've had an engineer visit and try to fix it with no luck either.

I have copied your post into mine as well located here Connected, No Internet which I am hoping will help them figure out if there is anything in common with the two accounts.

0 Likes