FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet slow in the evening 7pm - 11pm

bonbonizer
Team Player
Message 60 of 60

Internet is very slow between 7pm till about 111pm. I know the problem is lockdown and people working from home have saturated the LLU and thr contention ratio is too high. To fix this talktalk will need to buy more bandwidth from BT as they are using BT tail. Not sure of talktalk will do that cause everything I raise the issue they just run a copper test and tell me sync speed it fine 80/20. Can someone advise how I can report this and get the saturation issue sorted in the evenings ?

Technical Service Delivery Engineer.
0 Likes
59 REPLIES 59

Message 1 of 60

Hi bonbonizer,

It looks as though this was raised to Openreach as a non-appointed task just before Christmas, but the fault ticket has now been closed. It looks as though we are going to need to arrange an engineer appointment to your home but unfortunately we can't do this at the moment due to Covid restrictions (we can only arrange engineer visits for total loss of service)

Chris

Message 2 of 60

@Chris-TalkTalk Yes they did and said they can see the congestion issue and they need to escalate this further I was then called again by someone else who said the next step is to send another engineer to my property. I asked him is he aware that two engineers have visited already 1. Openreach and 2nd was cube engineer.

He then told me he needs to find out what the other two engineers did and what this engineer needs to do and get back to me. Since then I have not heard anything back. This was last year just a little over a month ago end of November.

Thank you

Message 3 of 60

Hi bonbonizer,

Did our network team contact you about  this? If they did what was the outcome?

Chris

Message 4 of 60

@Michelle-TalkTalk 

As requested I have run the service centre speed test as well as talktalk speed test both showing average of 7mb download so issue is still around.

screenshot attached below, Thank you

Talktalk Speed test - :(Talktalk Speed test - 😞

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 60

Hi bonbonizer,

I'm sorry for the delay. Your last 2 speed tests completed using the TalkTalk Speed Tester look better. Are your speeds now intermittently slow between 7pm-11pm? Would it be possible to run a few more using the TalkTalk Speed Tester please?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 60

Staff are not on at weekends,  and there will be a bit of a backlog to start with,  @bonbonizer.

I'll re-escalate this thread for you to make sure that it doesn't get missed. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 7 of 60

Hello, 

Have not heard anything further could someone chase this for me please. Understandable xmas and then new years but now it is 2021 and my issues started in 2020 lol 😄

0 Likes

Message 8 of 60

@shabeel If you would like help on the community please start your own topic. 

shabeel
First Timer
Message 9 of 60

Very poor internet speed. In August I phoned Talk Talk to cancel my contract, they offered me a new router and half-price booster for 18 months which did not make any difference. Internet disconnects itself almost every day and speed is very poor. I have been very busy and do not have time to spend on a one hour plus long phone call. When I try to phone Talk Talk, they don't answer the phone for 30 mins to 1 hour. Very disappointed. My family has been very unhappy with me because I extended the contract. I was assured that speed would improve but it did not.  😞

Message 10 of 60

Ah OK. Well if it is done via the TalkTalk portal then there is no need to post them. And if you do then it is far easier to take a screenshot and use the camera icon to embed an image rather than going through the faff of putting it in a document and attaching that as a file, which is more trouble for you as well as the reader.

Message 11 of 60

Hello @ferguson

This is not a third party speed test it is talktalk one however the portal only accepts word doc so I screenshot them and slap them in the word document. I am only providing the speedtest cause talktalk people requested them. 

0 Likes

Message 12 of 60

There is little purpose in providing third-party speedtest results, use the TalkTalk speedchecker from the Service Centre and your results will be logged against your account for the OCE to see. 

0 Likes

Message 13 of 60

@Chris-TalkTalk speed test attached - Thank you

0 Likes

Message 14 of 60

Any updates on this I have not heard any thing back from service managers some called me and told me they are sending a third engineer out I asked him you have sent two can you please check he is not coming out to do the same thing as I dont want to waste your time and my time also given the Covid - 19 situation its best pointless visits are not needed. I was told he will check what the previous engineers did and why a third one is required and what and where will he be testing from exchange or at the property etc.

now the outage has cleared I can confirm the speed issue is still the same I will attached the speedtests later tonight.

Thank you

0 Likes

Message 15 of 60

Hi bonbonizer,

I've passed this back to our Network team for further investigation, If you don't hear anything beforehand can you bump the thread on Monday and we'll check for updates 

Thanks

Chris

Message 16 of 60

Hello @Michelle-TalkTalk , 

I have clarified this in my first post and several times previously during. 

Speed issues happens in the evenings and its over Ethernet as well as Wifi. When I run the speed test I turn off the Wifi and unplug everything from the router then plug a single device via Ethernet to run the speed test just to eliminate any other device on the network causing issues. 

Not sure what your network team are doing just wasting time, I have already explained when I am running the speed tests there is only a single device connected to the router and as you can see the results of the speed test are poor. I will run a test right now with everything plugged in and you can see the results. I will share screenshots of the router as well as the speed test.

Also I do not have a peak time in terms of the users I use the internet more during day time same goes for TV as due to covid I am working from home and so does my partner so if we have internal congestion due to usage then it should cause issue during the day time. In the evening we hardly use anything on the internet but if I do then the speeds are poor and voip call quality suffers on any platform due to this.

Please see the attached word doc I have done this test with netflix running on 4 devices and you can see netflix is only using around 10mb and I have 70 mb to spare so the issue is not that I am over using my connection in the evenings. 

The issue is simple bandwidth on the local exchange is running out as too many people in the area are using the internet between 7pm - 11pm as I mentioned, and the contention ratio needs to be improved for example you will probably need to obtain more bandwidth from BT Openreach to resolve this issue.

Here is a report which was done by Talktalk just for your reference.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/11/talktalk-reports-uk-traffic-spike-on-first-night-of-lo...

I have also attached a 2nd document showing packet drops and latency on talktalk network during the reported times of issue. please review and let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you for your help

Thank you for your help

0 Likes

Message 17 of 60

Hi bonbonizer,

Can I just confirm, when you're experiencing the slow speeds of an evening is this currently only affecting the wireless speeds or wired speeds as well as our Network Team think this may be related to wireless congestion at peak times?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 18 of 60

Hi bonbonizer,

Ok thanks for confirming. I was just checking as sometimes they will try and make direct contact. I've just chased again for an update.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 19 of 60

Hello @Michelle-TalkTalk ,

After the engineer visit I only received a sms stating: "We have sent an engineer to fix a problem with  your line and we're now monitoring it. Your connection might take a few days to adjust. if you find that if your having further issues after 2 day please go to online service centre for live chat etc" 

Thank you 🙂

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 20 of 60

Hi bonbonizer,

Thanks for the additional information and I'm currently awaiting an update back. Have you been contacted at all since my last post?

Thanks

0 Likes