FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet speed halved

hceee
Conversation Starter
Message 62 of 62

Hello again everyone,

3 or 4 days ago my router decided to randomly reboot itself multiple times and since then my download speed has not gone above 30Mbps and 4.9Mbps upload, whereas I used to have 60Mbps+ download and 8Mbps+ upload before that. I did the TalkTalk speed test and it said that it is lower than expected and that it can be improved, but live chat was busy.

0 Likes
61 REPLIES 61

hceee
Conversation Starter
Message 1 of 62
Let's hope it's that. I wouldn't want to end up paying £60 or whatever charge due to a mistake.
0 Likes

Message 2 of 62

@hceee wrote:
Any idea why I was sent a second bag to return equipment when I already sent it off in the first one?

Incompetence?

~R.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 62

Possibly poor record keeping,  @hceee.

There have been a few cases of people being chased to return equipment when it's already been done. 

Staff will be back on Monday. 

I'll alert them to this issue, as it's been occurring a little too often of late.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

hceee
Conversation Starter
Message 4 of 62
Any idea why I was sent a second bag to return equipment when I already sent it off in the first one?
0 Likes

hceee
Conversation Starter
Message 5 of 62

Unfortunately as patient as I am, we have once again been told that the works are delayed to 05/02/2021 - a week and a half later. I terminated the TalkTalk contract early as they have been unable to repair the fault for the last 30 working days, and as loyal as we are to TalkTalk unfortunately Openreach and the contractors have let them down. We have now placed an order for Virgin Media for next week and will be switching providers.

I appreciate your help OCE's and other forum regulars I understand that you could only do so much in this situation.

@Chris-TalkTalk Could you please just keep me in the loop of when they actually manage to solve this fault as I need to wait for them to close the case to be able to claim the compensation for the billed months. So far I only got compensation for fault up to 05/12 but not the fault since 08/12/2020. Thanks.

0 Likes

hceee
Conversation Starter
Message 6 of 62
The case is still with the contracted diggers. Did not get any updates from them since last Tuesday. According to latest update they only started work today and are aiming to complete it tomorrow, the 26th. The manager call is once again scheduled for Wednesday, a day after the supposed finish date. Tomorrow is going to mark 7 weeks without any phone/broadband service.

At this point I forgot what life was with functional service.
0 Likes

hceee
Conversation Starter
Message 7 of 62
Hey again everyone,

Based on the updates I got everything seems to be going to plan at the moment. They tried to start on Sunday but the works were apparently aborted due to parked vehicles. Now the update I got today is that they have started work today (phew!) and will be working on it tomorrow as well. Next update to look out for is tomorrow/Thursday. Horrible, rainy day tomorrow 😞
0 Likes

hceee
Conversation Starter
Message 8 of 62
We have also finally received a call from a manager after raising a complaint on 23rd December, so currently everything is pointing in the right direction. Said will give us another call middle of next week, I'm assuming that's in line with the digging work that is supposed to complete early next week. Maybe having the manager on our side looking into it will help the contractors stay on track with their deadlines. We will see.

Enjoy your weekend everyone. To be continued next week.

hceee
Conversation Starter
Message 9 of 62
Yet another update unfortunately confirms that the digging team have to get their shovels and permits out again and the next update by Openreach will be on 19/01 after they supposedly finish digging to underground cable. According to my sources it took them at least 3 weeks to actually dig last time so we will see if they manage to break their speed record this time, though obviously not too hopeful.

hceee
Conversation Starter
Message 10 of 62

Thanks for your response

Unfortunately Openreach engineers are nowhere to be found ever since the one decided to cut off the service on day 1. There were a few here and there for maybe max 10 minutes. There's also been at least 2 engineers going to the exchange and either not finding faults or fixing them but not actually fixing them. It becomes a matter of how many engineers does it take to fix this fault. I had a complaint raised on 23rd December to a manager who was supposed to call within a couple of working days but never did.. then there were 2 engineer home visits that were booked but they never turned up.

Updates as of today: Fault at the exchange that was predicted to be fixed on 11/01 is still not fixed. To be continued.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 62

I feel your pain hceee I was in the very same position as yourself a cpl of years ago as was a neighbour of mine also with Talktalk not once but twice.

Started same as yours low speeds on broadband, no dial tone and cracling on the phone line, long story short mine was fixed within a week the first time.

Then my neighbour got the exact same problem just as mine was fixed, he was fixed soon after.

Openreach were up and down my street weekly for the next 3 months or so and then just as someone new moved into the street mine did the exact same thing again no dial tone but slow broadband speeds once again, over 8 weeks I was offline the second time so when I confronted the Openreach engineer up the pole he told me that there were not enough lines to supply the street.

What Openreach were doing was disconnecting one line to connect a new one but leaving the broadband on a shared connection hence the drop in speed but no phone line, they only disconnected my broadband when I complained of speed loss.

I would make every effort to talk to the Openreach engineer as only when I reported this to Talktalk that some significant work commence to instal more lines, no problems in the street since.

Regards hope you get sorted soon

hceee
Conversation Starter
Message 12 of 62

There was a rare sighting of an Openreach engineer outside the house today who made a phone call and then left. As of right now, live agent confirmed that Openreach are supposed to be coming back tomorrow morning to do some work outside the house. Will try to report back tomorrow lunchtime if there are any significant updates

0 Likes

Message 13 of 62
Still nothing unfortunately. Last update I got is that, once again, they've moved the RBD to 12/01.
0 Likes

Message 14 of 62

OK thanks for the information. If you don't hear anything later can you bump the thread tomorrow and we'll check for updates

Chris

0 Likes

Message 15 of 62

To be honest with you Chris I'm slowly giving up on getting this resolved any time soon.

I just got off the chat with an agent and they just further confirmed that the issue is with Openreach. So according to the timeline they've given me the engineer should look at it today. There have been 2 or 3 engineers going to the exchange previously so I am not sure what else they are going to find there. It's been weeks since I've seen an engineer outside our house working on the line. Again, it's now past 2PM and they've got maybe 3-4 hours of work left? I suppose the only thing left to do is message the live chat agents again after work hours and hope the engineer provided an update or even turned up! Seems like I am just stuck in a loop.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 62

Hi hceee,

I'm really sorry this is taking so long to resolve. Have you heard anything since your last post?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 17 of 62

We have now reached 1 month without phone or broadband service.

And the Openreach engineer that was supposed to come yesterday never turned up. Yet another missed appointment.

edit: Today's live chat session revealed that the issue is at the exchange again despite 2 or 3 engineers having already visited it; yet another non-appointed engineer will get it fixed within the next 72 hours. Since they don't work weekends, I am assuming that is going to be Monday.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 18 of 62

Hi hceee,

I'm sorry for the delay and thanks for the update. Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

0 Likes

hceee
Conversation Starter
Message 19 of 62
Openreach engineer has been booked to come into my home this Friday

Hopefully that will be the last of it
0 Likes

Message 20 of 62

I contacted live chat as part of my daily ritual and the person said that the case with the issue at the exchange has been closed since yesterday 9am so I'm not sure what to believe any more. Now the person did another line test and yet again found a fault at the exchange... so now we are back to square one with yet another same case escalated and Openreach on it again. Now another 2-3 working days to wait through.

Honestly this TT/Openreach bureaucracy is so annoying and I would gladly switch, especially with the nice sale that Virgin is running at the moment, but I don't think we will get landlord's permission and it would take ages. 

Assuming that a person is eligible for auto compensation but switches providers, does the compensation go towards the bill of the new provider or how does it work?

0 Likes