FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet speed halved

hceee
Conversation Starter
Message 62 of 62

Hello again everyone,

3 or 4 days ago my router decided to randomly reboot itself multiple times and since then my download speed has not gone above 30Mbps and 4.9Mbps upload, whereas I used to have 60Mbps+ download and 8Mbps+ upload before that. I did the TalkTalk speed test and it said that it is lower than expected and that it can be improved, but live chat was busy.

0 Likes
61 REPLIES 61

Message 21 of 62

Hi hceee

Thanks for your reply.

I've checked and I can see that this fault is still in hand with Openreach.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

hceee
Conversation Starter
Message 22 of 62

Today's chat session revealed that TalkTalk engineers are indeed much more reliable and they did go to the exchange within the given timeframe to check what the issue is. Now the fault is with Openreach again and hopefully no diggers that make me wait 3 weeks are needed anymore. Since they are not working weekends we will see how it goes next week... to be continued.

hceee
Conversation Starter
Message 23 of 62

Going into my live chat session today, I was pleasantly surprised that the Openreach team has apparently fixed and resolved the issue with the line. Finally, some progress. The only issue is that it is still completely dead here at home so they've run checks and have sent out an engineer to fix an issue at the exchange within the next 24-72 hours. Not sure whether the engineers work bank holidays/weekends but hopefully it's fixed in that timeframe. TalkTalk engineers have been more reliable than Openreach ones at least in my experience.

0 Likes

Message 24 of 62
Thanks Debbie

I've spoken to a live chat agent and they said they've updated the open case and apparently it should be fixed either tomorrow or Thursday. Well, fingers crossed, but if the previous track record is anything to go by... we'll see.
0 Likes

Message 25 of 62

Hi hceee

I'm really sorry for the delay.

I've requested an update on this fault from Openreach and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

To discuss a cancellation, if you contact our Loyalty Team by phone or Live Chat then they can look at this for you.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

hceee
Conversation Starter
Message 26 of 62

At this point I'm starting to lose faith by replying to this thread as I cannot even describe how abysmal this has been ever since the original topic of internet speed being halved and disconnecting to complete loss of service for over 2 weeks with zero updates from TalkTalk without me having to contact them, and even less updates and actual work from Openreach engineers. And you guys in this thread have been more than helpful I know that you have limited powers and can only provide updates that are actually on the system.

Couple questions;
- Are there any clauses in the contract - like the 30 day minimum speed policy or broadband speed of code conduct - that allows me to break the contract early?

"Once you’ve made us aware of your loss of service, we’ll have two working days to try and fix the problem. After this, we’ll compensate you £8 per day starting from the third day until the day we restore your service, providing the fault is within the TalkTalk or Openreach network."
- So does this apply to me for auto compensation or is there some small print like there always is? Both "Unable to make or receive calls" and "total loss of broadband connectivity" is on there and both apply to me! At this point I would be a millionaire.

0 Likes

Message 27 of 62
Bumping as there is still no update. 2 weeks of no service achievement unlocked!
0 Likes

Message 28 of 62

OK thanks, it's possible that the engineer is still carrying out work, unfortunately we won't get an update until the end of the day

Chris

0 Likes

Message 29 of 62
Engineer was working outside our gate today but now he left, still no Internet
0 Likes

Message 30 of 62

Hi hceee,

I've checked on the Openreach systems and there are no further updates yet. If you don't hear anything later today can you bump the thread tomorrow and we'll check again

Chris

0 Likes

hceee
Conversation Starter
Message 31 of 62
Now Tier 4 is introduced I really hope this does not change things... there is literally only 2 days to go.
0 Likes

Message 32 of 62
Thanks Michelle

Fingers crossed this is solved before Christmas
0 Likes

Message 33 of 62

Hi,

Usually once the dig work has been completed then the engineer will then resolve the fault. I'm not sure if this will be on same day or shortly afterwards.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 34 of 62
Hi Chris,

Do you know whether this digging team include an engineer as well? What I mean is once they finish digging on Monday, is it considered fault fixed or do they just do the digging and then a seperate Openreach engineer comes few days later to fix the fault once it has been dug up?
0 Likes

Message 35 of 62

Hi hceee,

Yes from what I can see the dig work is expected to be completed by the 22nd when the update is due

Chris

0 Likes

Message 36 of 62

Don't worry Chris and other OCE's I know that you can only do so much from your side of the table and you have done a lot providing me with updates already. Sorry I got a bit heated yesterday. I didn't mind the Internet intermittently disconnecting or having slow speed, but total loss of service since the engineer's visit seemed unnecessary. I also asked the chat agent whether my internet would be up and he confirmed that it would be before the visit. I would expect someone to either disconnect the line whilst they are fixing the fault or at least have an immediate appointment scheduled to ensure least downtime as possible, but today marks 1 week without phone and broadband. I also don't like the fact that it is getting a bit too close to Christmas with this issue still unresolved.

edit: so I was not aware that this issue is as complicated as it is. I was told today that apparently it is a specific set of irreplaceable contractors that need to dig and that they need a permit. This work will commence on 19th December. I assume that since the update is expected to be given on 22nd, the work will be completed before then? And I can expect the service to be back to full working order?

0 Likes

Message 37 of 62

Hi hceee,

I'm really sorry this is taking so long, I know it must be very frustrating, hopefully it won't be much longer

Chris

Message 38 of 62

That's exactly what they said last week and that they will get it fixed by today (14/12). Why has it been delayed for another week again? How can I trust them to not just say the same thing next week?

I am already disappointed and yet OpenReach managed to disappoint me even further. We have people trying to work from home and had to resort to buying mobile data to create a hotspot. The guy came the first time, cut off the line completely and left us for over a week without Internet so far. I would think that cases like these would be more urgent than it currently appears.

On the other side, TalkTalk says "Once you’ve made us aware of your loss of service, we’ll have two working days to try and fix the problem". And what is supposed to count as making them aware? I've had this thread open for a month because I have not reached guaranteed speed once and have been on live chat for loss of service for the past week.

edit: today's live chat session ended up in the agent apparently bumping up this issue to "highest priority" due to how long it has been dragging on - but again unsure whether this is just words to keep me away from raising a complaint and on how this will actually turn out in practice.

0 Likes

Message 39 of 62

Hi hceee

Openreach have provided an update to advise that this fault is with the contractors and further updates should be available on 22/12/2020.

Thanks

Debbie

hceee
Conversation Starter
Message 40 of 62
A helpful TalkTalk rep let me know that OpenReach has set the RBD to 14/12/20. Is this inclusive and do the fault engineers work weekends?
0 Likes