FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Fibre65 Worth IT?

gismowl
Participant
Message 31 of 31

In March, at contract renewal, I upgraded to Fibre65 for the 'improved' speed and device capability. For the last few of weeks I have suffered from intermittent connection loss (with accompanying Internet light off or red).  Exasperating when you have 20 minutes to checkout with your weekly shopping order and the connection drops out twice for a minute or two at a time.

Trying the online chat option with Customer Services was interesting - had to repeat myself with three different agents, as the connection dropped during our 'chat', and it was very protracted. I had tried the Test connection on my Master Socket and used a direct Cat7 cable from PC to router - no improvement. Also my connection was only 32-36Mbs down and 10-16 up, when it was working, compared with a guaranteed minimum of 51.7!

After the 'chats' I agreed to an engineer visit to try and bottom the problem.

He called yesterday morning at ~ 8 a.m. and plugged his laptop into the router. Result? 39 download, fibre checked out OK, but copper didn't. Will be interesting to see TT response. At the moment the update to my case says that I need to check my 'in-home' setup (Really? Engineer didn't find a problem there) - hopefully that will change to something more helpful.

At the moment I can see no benefit in Fibre65 - I was getting these speeds with Fibre38 and the connection had been stable for the length of my contract. Maybe a jump too far?

0 Likes
30 REPLIES 30

Message 1 of 31
0 Likes

gismowl
Participant
Message 2 of 31

@Michelle-TalkTalk  Hi Michelle, the latest reported speeds were: router link rate 20/55, wired desktop 18/50 and iPad 18/51. That doesn't seem too bad at all. I don't use the wi-fi that much, except for connected smart speaker and occasional use of the iPad - prefer the big screen of the desktop when using multiple windows.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 31

Morning,

How were the wireless speeds last night?

Thanks

0 Likes

gismowl
Participant
Message 4 of 31

@Debbie-TalkTalk  An update.

The router is reporting the line capability of 20/55, the speedtest to my cable connected desktop (via TT account) reports 18/48 and a speed to router of 58 and a speedtest, via my iPad w-fi, reports 17/50. So, two or three % below the guaranteed minimum of 51, Strangely the line speed quoted by TT has only recently gone up to 60,58,57 - before that it was reported as 47 and, curiously, my wi-fi appeared to disappear at 20:00 last night. The cable desktop was fine and I could see the wi-fi broadcast (via wi-fi analyzer) as much stronger than other neighbouring wi-fi ( 2 -3 x stronger) but couldn't connect (iPad said no internet connection and smart speaker suggested that my wi-fi password had been changed!). Switched off router and left it for an hour and, when switched back on, wi-fi re-appeared - on a different channel - and worked correctly. Strange and disconcerting.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 31

Hi gismowl

Ok no problem. Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

gismowl
Participant
Message 6 of 31

@Debbie-TalkTalk  Hi Debbie, thanks for the offer, but I'll check again this evening, and tomorrow morning, to see how things stand.

Message 7 of 31

Hi gismowl

Would you like me to run some line tests or would you prefer to monitor the connection until tomorrow?

Thanks

0 Likes

gismowl
Participant
Message 8 of 31

@Karl-TalkTalk  et al: Oh dear, maybe I spoke too soon. This morning the router is reporting 18/55 and the TT speedtest is showing 15/49 (and the 'ping' is up to 25ms from the 13ms last Friday). I guess I'll see what tomorrow brings.

0 Likes

gismowl
Participant
Message 9 of 31

@Karl-TalkTalket al, Well today the router is reporting the line at 20/60 (up/down) compared with 20/70 it was showing on Friday. The TT speedtest is reporting 18/52 so, if it stays like that, I will be happy that I'm getting the the TT minimum guaranteed download speed, Fingers-crossed.

Thanks.

Message 10 of 31

Hi gismowl

Let us know how things are looking after the weekend.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

gismowl
Participant
Message 11 of 31

Yes, he said that he had reset the port and I leave the router on 24/7, so fingers-crossed.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 12 of 31

Looks like good news overall. Hopefully the new master socket has fixed it. I assume that the Openreach engineer reset DLM in which case it will be at its most active for the first 48-72 hours. Resist the urge to disconnect the router yourself in the meantime and hopefully all will be well going forwards.  🙂

0 Likes

gismowl
Participant
Message 13 of 31

Don't know what caused the large number of dis-connects/re-connects on, and before, the 18th but may have caused the DLM to throttle back the line speed to what had been stable for the last few days. Be interesting to see if the current speed is maintained.

0 Likes

gismowl
Participant
Message 14 of 31

@Chris-TalkTalk  Hi, OpenReach engineer has been and confirmed that my connection dropped and re-connected 61 times on the 18th (which prompted my initial call to support) and on several prior dates - though not the same volume of dis-connects. His tests, and my router, showed 39/15. Changed OpenReach Mk3 Master socket and re-wired into OpenReach Mk5 - FAST.com now showing 67/20 and confirmed by router. Expect this to stabilise over the next week, if it stays above the guaranteed minimum I'll be happy. Pity an OpenReach engineer didn't call the first time an engineer was engaged but .....

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 31

Hi gismowl,

I've sent you a PM confirming appointment details

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 16 of 31

Hi gismowl,

Thanks for answering the security questions, I've sent you a PM requesting a little more information 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 17 of 31

Hi gismowl

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange an engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

gismowl
Participant
Message 18 of 31

Thanks, that seems to be the only logical step, so yes please.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 31

Hello,

Ok thanks for confirming. If the connection is still unstable with 2 different router, microfilters and cables at the test socket then the next step will be to arrange an Openreach Engineer Visit. Would you like us to arrange this for you?

Thanks

0 Likes

gismowl
Participant
Message 20 of 31

Hi Michelle,

I have tried an old Netgear R6250 that I had, but it made no difference (I was only trying it to see if it reduced the intermittent connection problem, not to check the speed). The engineer did not try a different router - I presume because he thought that the problem was with the 'copper' side of the circuit.

0 Likes