FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this the end of a 20 year relationship?

AndyG55
Team Player
Message 38 of 38

Hello, I haven't phoned Talktalk support as I am fearful I will end up with someone who cannot help me and give very poor service. After 20 years I feel I am about to leave. I have been very loyal to TT. My contract has just expired and I pay £53.95 a month for Faster Fibre £31.95, Fibre boosts £5, Unlimited Uk calls boost £14, Anonymous caller rejects £3. When agreed 20 months ago I got around 34MB per second on my Broadband but yesterday I got 16.29 MB. this is appalling and causing great inconvenience. I work voluntarily and write 000's of emails a year and need reliable quality service plus broadband for my wife and me and grandkids! Equally importantly I have just returned from holiday and whilst I was away my wifi failed for some reason and my security camera stopped working as well as my wifi controlled heating and water.  Also whilst my wifi has worked my landline has only worked sporadically in the last year and gives the impression I am on a permanent phone call. Help gratefully received, please? Thank you, Andy 

37 REPLIES 37

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 1 of 38

No worries, whenever.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 2 of 38

Hi Keith, Please forgive my latest lack of response, it has been a very busy week with my stepson getting married etc. Unfortunately, I will not be able to give you a fuller reply until towards the end of next week even now. I am very very grateful for your help here. Thank you, Kind regards, Andy

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 3 of 38

Isn't 32M significantly faster? You are only using the 2.4GHz band and that does not always support a very fast speed. Please can you launch a command prompt and issue these two commands, pressing Return after each one:-

netsh wlan show drivers

netsh wlan show interface

Yes, WiFi Direct is used to allow mobile devices to print directly to the printer, but because the printer seems to use the same channel as the router (I can't confirm this as I no longer have an HP printer), it will cause very slow speed tests. All you need to do is to install the relevant HP printing app on the mobile devices & they will print via the router.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 38

Hi Keith, Thanks. When in my professional career I was used to dealing with competent computer engineers and I can tell you are very knowledgeable but forgive me I am not a techy, I am trying to help us both. I deleted all of the wifi connections for the printer via the small printer screen. I have now reloaded the wifi connection but not Wi-Fi Direct. I have re-run Acrylic and only the TT modem & Amazon link are showing. The speed is still showing as 32MB and I got the same speed on my Ipad standing by the router. Can I take it that Wi-Fi Direct only affects printing from a Smartphone, tablet etc and doesn't affect the link between the printer and HP who monitor the ink situation? Thank you again, Andy

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 5 of 38

There is nothing wrong with your WiFi now. I am not sure what you mean by how do you manage your HP printer? All you have to do is disable WiFi direct & I told you how to do that.

Is the slow speed only on this PC, or other devices in the same place?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 6 of 38

Keith

Good morning and thank you once again for your help. However, I still have problems. I don't want to go over old ground as you will have seen in the thread. I removed the HP Printer from wifi last night and initially, the speed stood at 9 and then 10 MB. At 6.50 this morning it showed 31MB. This isn't as much as when I took the contract out, with the printer connected. More importantly, how should I now manage the HP Printer? I pay a monthly fee for Instant ink which is HP monitoring the ink levels in the printer and sending me more when low. Also, am I expected to teach my wife how to change the printer settings so she can print an important document? I am really grateful for your help but .. and all the time I am still paying £53 per month. 2021-09-28 (2).png2021-09-28 (4).png2021-09-28 (5).png

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 7 of 38

That is because the printer is interfering with the router.

If you can't change the printer's channel, disable WiFi Direct on it. Everything will print to it via the router, although you may need the HP printing app on Android or iPhones. To disable it, from HP Printer Assistant, go to:-

Printer Home Page (EWS) > Wi-Fi Direct

Untick the On option.

Then click Edit Settings in the Wi-Fi Direct section.

Next change Status to Off.

Finally, click Apply & OK.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 8 of 38

Hi Keith, Andy again! I have just carried out a new broadband speed test and we are back down at 10mb - ouch! Thank you, Andy

0 Likes

Message 9 of 38

Hi Keith, Thanks very much again for your help. I have followed your guide and altered the router to channel 1 and the channel width. The HP Printer is ours. I have gone to reset and reloaded and it has automatically defaulted to channel 1 as well. I am not sure how to alter that and must research with HP. I presume the two Amazon devices are Firesticks, there should be three but one presumably isn't in range. No TVs were in use when I tested and sent you data. I have just carried out a Broadband speed check and it has gone down to 10MB per sec? Having written this I have now rebooted the router and carried out a new test and we are now at 30mb. One thing I haven't said is that I have a small wireless CCTV camera outside that runs on the 2.4 GHz range. That didn't work for a while having made the changes but having rebooted the router it has. Comments welcome? I haven't made any PC changes yet. Do you want me to do that and/or send you any more screenshots? Thanks and regards, Andy 

PS. Having launched Acrylic wifi to look again at that it confirms channel 1 for the router & printer and firesticks but it now shows presumably our Sony Bravia TV but linked to channel 11 - the TV is currently off.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 10 of 38

That is OK, everything I do on here is totally voluntary as well. You need a big change & I hope to deliver on that.

Your router is currently set to channel 9. However, in the 2.4GHz band, you can only use channels 1, 6 & 11 and every network here, other than one of very low signal strength is using channel 9.

Change the router to channel 1. Is the HP printer yours? If so, either disable WiFi direct on it as it is not needed or move it to channel 11. I assume the two Amazon devices that are broadcasting hidden networks are not yours? They should not affect anything anyway, due to having a low signal strength

Keith

Message 11 of 38

Hi Keith, Thank you very much for your work here. I am sorry it has taken me one week to reply, I apologise voluntary community work has been very busy. I am not a tech so hope I have done this right. May I be bold, I need a very big change here and I cannot at this stage understand what you achieve through this analysis.  I got 21mb just before loading this program. Regards, Andy2021-09-27 (3).png2021-09-27 (4).png2021-09-27 (5).png

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 13 of 38

Hi @AndyG55 

No worries, you have the Huawei DG8041W for reference.

The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith

Message 14 of 38

Hi Debbie

Thank you. I have just replied to Keith.

Regards

Andy

Message 15 of 38

Hi Keith

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I am so very busy with voluntary work, please forgive me for the slight delay in responding to you.

To be brief - I do use a Windows Pc as my main computer. This is in a different room to the router and about 15 feet away in a straight line. I have just carried out a test on this again that gives 27MB sec. I have also tested on my iPad standing by the router and this gives 31MB sec. The router is black and is manufactured by Huawei. It doesn't appear to have a model number on it. It was sent to me by TT about 2 years ago. Does this help you? 

Regards

Andy

0 Likes

Message 16 of 38

Hi Andy

I can see that Keith has replied to offer some help. Keith provides really great advice on improving wireless performance.

Thanks

Debbie

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 17 of 38

Hi @AndyG55 

@Gliwmaeden2 has asked me to help you with your wireless speeds. As this is a long thread, please can you just confirm a few things for me, they have probably already been mentioned, but it just saves me having to read through the whole thread. After all, I would prefer to spend my time, helping you.

From what I can see over the last few posts, the router is synchronised at 72Mbps, but a wireless speed test is only recording about 19Mbps. Is this a Windows PC by any chance?

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

If you would like me to help you, please can you specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using?

Keith

Message 18 of 38

Hi, Thanks for taking the time to your reply. As a 20 year customer, I do know most of what you say. The ethernet issue is really a red herring, I have an i7 PC that is kept clean and up to date. I am using Broadband.co.uk as I have found this most reliable and it records the history of checks. In the list of service providers it gives as options it quotes TT Fibre 150 with an average of 145 MB for my area. Why then after paying fibre boost am I only getting 19MB? I don't consider moving lightly - I have worked voluntarily on many community projects for 17 years and I guess I have typed and received well over 75000 emails in recent years., I wouldn't want to lose all the stored information. However, you can see that I need a quality provider. I wonder if my MP who I know well would be interested in hearing my case? I am getting a bit fed up with the situation. The one very good thing is this forum, thank you all, I believe it is far more effective than simply trying to phone the Helpline which is poor, in my experience, in comparison. Thank you again, Regards, Andy

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 19 of 38

If you connect your computer by ethernet, @AndyG55, you'll get a speed reading that more truly represents the speed to the ROUTER.

Wi-fi speeds can show completely different readings for lots of reasons that could be outside Talktalk's control. My colleague, @KeithFrench, may have time to explain further. It may be that you require a replacement router at some stage, or settings tweaked. 

Your £53.00 also includes your Anytime Calls boost etc.

You should be able to haggle that down a bit if you phone them up. Check also in your My Account  for "offers and upgrades". The new description of Faster Fibre with Speedboost would be Fibre65. 

Sometimes the Anytime Calls can be included free, or half price. Recent offers mention £5.00.

Fibre65 doesn't require a speedboost as an extra cost.

Check offers also on comparison websites. However all Openreach serviced providers are using the same infrastructure.

If you renew through My Account, you may well find TV included, adding £4.00. It will be included in the package description regardless. 

To avoid confusion, arm yourself with information and ring 03451 720046 before 6pm today (closed on Sunday).

It's the LOYALTY team that deal with contracts. 

You can then quibble and make sure that your package contains exactly what you want. 

Another thing to check first is to do a speed test through Service Centre and see what the graph depicts as the MINIMUM GUARANTEED SPEED for your line. 

If you phone up, as part of any new contract they must confirm both your expected range and the minimum guaranteed speed. This should match what you are being told in Service Centre. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 20 of 38

Hi, thanks for your help. I turned the router off for 30 mins as requested. I then rebooted and speed tested on my PC that relies on a wifi link, only one item online in the house. I got 23MB per second. I have just tested now and got 19MB per second. I hate to say this but this is appalling value for £53 per month. Why should I stay? I should request a partial refund. Any further help you can give me would be gratefully received. Regards, Andy 

0 Likes