FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line fault - fibre

SunHounD
Whizz Kid
Message 30 of 30

Hi there.

It appears I've developed a line fault. At about 2.30pm today, I had a series of disconnects. Upon the connection finally stabilising, my downstream is down to less than half of what it was.

This is what I'm currently getting

Screenshot_20210429-164800_Chrome.jpg

  luckily, my router has a built in speed test, so I can provide a pic of previous results vs now, with the latest topmost.

Screenshot_20210429-164854_Chrome.jpg

  I have also no dial tone on my landline.

Everything is connected directly to the test socket by a new micro filter (just changed it to rule out that being the problem). There are no extension cables, the filter is plugged directly in to the test socket. (the faceplate hasn't worked in a long time).

I do currently use my own 3rd party router, which is new. To rule out the router being the problem (which wouldn't affect the dial tone of the phone) I've also tried it with the talk talk supplied router (Hg633) and the problem remains the same.

I've contacted live chat which were hopeless (which I knew before I did it, #facepalm) and they told me after a long time, that they couldn't test my line, and to try again later... Nope!

Your help would be much appreciated,

Kind regards,

Nichola

PS.. Personal details updated

Proof, or it didn't happen! ||| Yes, I've tried turning it off and on again!
0 Likes
29 REPLIES 29

Message 1 of 30

Hi Nichola

Thanks for your reply.

No problem 🙂

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 30
Hi Debbie,

I'll try doing that later, when I've got time.

For now though, I'll have to say the problem is fixed. If I develop problems with it, I'll start another thread.

Thanks for your help, Debbie.

Nichola

Message 3 of 30

Hi Nichola

Is this over both wired and wireless connections?

It may be worth powering down the router for a full 30 minutes.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 4 of 30
Hi Debbie,

I'll be honest, going off the numbers I'm getting, I have to say it's fine.

But it doesn't feel fine, though I can't provide any evidence that supports this.

Gaming lags much more than it ever had, and even loading Web pages seems to be ever so slightly slower. It just doesn't seem as <i> fluid </i> as it once was.

Thanks for all your help,
Nichola
0 Likes

Message 5 of 30

Hi Nichola

I've checked the connection stats this morning and the line is still in sync at 55.2mb.

Has the connection remained stable?

Thanks

Debbie

Message 6 of 30
Hi Debbie,

Will do.
Please let me know how things are looking.

Kind regards,
Nichola

Message 7 of 30

Hi Nichola

Thanks for your reply.

I've checked the connection stats again and the line test is now clear and in sync at 55.2mb.

Please can you now leave the router connected at the test socket, without rebooting for at least 48hrs to allow DLM time to monitor the connection and adjust the profile/speed.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 8 of 30

Update..

I don't know what's going on!

On paper, my connection is fine. Decent speed, ping and negligible jitter, but things feel wrong. Gaming has become laggy, with frequent rubber banding, and websites feel slow to load.

Doing a connection test on the TT website says there is still a fault somewhere.

Can you shed any light on this?

Kind regards,
Nichola

Edit

Update number 2

I've noticed that although the jitter is only 1/2ms sometimes it spikes to the 20's or 30's. Only noticed it by doing many consecutive speed tests. 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 30

Hi Debbie,

Line engineer has been out, and said everything is sorted now.

My speed has dropped from ~61mb to 49 now though, after he performed a DLM reset.

Do you think I might reach those speeds again once DLM has had a chance to do its thing.?

He says my line can achieve 52, and was puzzled how I've been getting 60mb+ for so long.

Screenshot_20210507-151641_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210507-153256_Chrome.jpg

20210507_134934.jpg

kind regards,

Nichola

0 Likes

Message 10 of 30

Hi Nichola

It appears that the fault has now been assigned to a line engineer to investigate.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 11 of 30

Hi Nichola

No problem 🙂

Openreach have marked it as a repeat fault so hopefully we should get some additional updates soon.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 12 of 30
Thank you

Kind regards,
Nichola

Message 13 of 30

Hi Nichola

I've completed a line test which is now detecting a line fault - wet joint.

I have escalated this back over to Openreach to be investigated by a line engineer and I will check on this fault later this afternoon for any additional updates.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 14 of 30
Cheers,

Speeds fine, I'm getting over 60mb on the 65 package, so I'm happy with that; it's the stability that's the issue now.

I'll hang fire till tomorrow.

Regards,
Nichola

Message 15 of 30
Now your fault has been fixed DLM will monitor it and increase the speed for the line at the same time ensuring its stable, this maybe why your experiencing some turbulence. But I'm sure a OCE as above will monitor and come back to you with additional info.
Steve -
Have you tried turning it off and on again!

Message 16 of 30
Well, 5 hrs in, and SNR has dropped further to 2.9. Gaming has become laggy. The speed is what it once was, but line quality has considerably dropped.

Kind regards,
Nichola
0 Likes

Message 17 of 30

Hi Nichola

Thank you 🙂

I will post back tomorrow.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 18 of 30
Hi Debbie,
No worries, will do.

Thank you,
Nichola

Message 19 of 30

Hi Nichola

I'm so glad to hear that the landline fault has been resolved, thanks for letting us know 🙂

In regards to the BB connection, please can you now keep the router switched on following the 30 minute power down to allow DLM time to monitor the connection.

I will check the connection stats again tomorrow.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 20 of 30

Hi Debbie,

So the engineer has been, found and fixed a fault, and the line is back up and running now.

The SNR has dropped from an average of 6.3 to 3 though. I've turned the router off for 30mins, but no change.

Screenshot_20210506-101129_Chrome.jpg

  it's only been 10mins, so I don't know how this will impact things. If the line becomes unstable, should I bump this thread, or start a new one?

Kind regards,

Nichola

0 Likes