FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing internet connection/latency issues

falconi66
Conversation Starter
Message 20 of 20

I took out a new contract about 3 weeks ago, Fibre 65. There have been a number of problems with connection losses over that period. I thought it was just a bedding in thing but this week it went off on Tuesday and Wednesday consecutively so I thought I'd seek help!

The speed seems to be ok when in use and all lights on the router, box and powerline adapters stay on but we simply lose connection on the laptops (2). Both phones show the wifi icon but neither are connected.

I turn everything off and on as per usual when this happens and all seems to reset and we carry on, until the next time.

I checked the service status and I'd also like a bit of help there please.

1. It says 2 devices need attention, as both have latency issues ( whatever that is) It says that there is a problem using too much wifi with it/them ( not sure if it refers to my phone and my wife's, or just mine ( see below). There is no problem for me using my phone, it seems to work fine for my needs ( mainly email and Whats app).

2. The section goes on to list 6 devices that are working ok, one of which is my wife's phone ( see above)?

Two laptops with the same number are listed and have question marks in the boxes next to them. There is then the Youview box plus router I think and then a desktop is listed....we don't have such a device.

So, after all of the above, and keeping in mind that I'm clearly not conversant with much IT, can anyone offer some easy to follow thoughts please?

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 20

Hi falconi66,

Thanks for the update and please let us know how your connection compares over the next few days 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 20
Hello again!
I spoke too soon! The connection was lost an hour ago.
Fortunately, the new router connected immediately and all devices are working fine.
I'll let you know how things develop.
Thanks again for dealing with this.
0 Likes

Message 3 of 20

Hi falconi66

Thank you 🙂  Please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 20
OK Debbie, I'll do that.

Thanks

Message 5 of 20

Hi falconi66

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Please can you keep hold of the replacement router for another week just incase you do experience any further issues.

Debbie

0 Likes

falconi66
Conversation Starter
Message 6 of 20
Hello Debbie,
The new router arrived yesterday, thanks for sorting that.
When I plugged in, the orange light was continuously flashing. Left it for about 10 minutes and then repeated the process but with the same outcome.
I set up the old router and connection was within a couple of minutes.
Since last Thursday we have had stability. I notice that everything in the service centre has green ticks whereas before there was some problem which was never explained to me.
The upshot is that I'm a bit reluctant to do anything else at the moment as my wife needs the internet for her university work ( Microsoft teams each day restarting next Monday).
My preference is to wait and see and if things become a problem again, perhaps an engineer could come and check? I'm not sure if something may be related to the network connectors that we needed initially due to the location of the master socket.
Let me know what you think and if you want me to return the new router immediately, or to wait a week or so.
0 Likes

Message 7 of 20
0 Likes

Message 8 of 20
Thanks for that Debbie. I'll let you know the outcome.

Message 9 of 20

Hi falconi66

Apologies for this.

As the line test is not detecting any faults I have ordered you a different router for testing.

Please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive. Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

falconi66
Conversation Starter
Message 10 of 20
Connection has gone again today, so that's 3 consecutive days.
Is this likely to be remedied quickly, does anyone know?
It's a bit annoying given that I've just renewed my contract and I can do without the hassle of having to argue about contract breaches.
My wife needs the connection for a university course, fortunately it's half term next week so I'm hoping it's sorted before the restart.
0 Likes

Message 11 of 20
Sorry, I missed the socket question.
We have the master socket to which the router is connected and then another socket which connects the powerline adapters to the router ( I think). initially the router was connected to that socket because we had been told by the landlord that it was the main socket. There was virtually no speed and when Openreach came to check they found the master socket hidden away. At that point we were advised that the speed was still slow and that fibre would be better so we switched and stayed with that throughout the contract.
0 Likes

Message 12 of 20
Yes, everything loses connection at the same time and no, we don't have another router.
0 Likes

Message 13 of 20

Hi falconi66,

Do all devices lose connection at the same time?

How many telephone sockets do you have? Do you have anything connected to your telephone socket(s) in addition to your router

Do you have another router that you can test with?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 14 of 20
The connection is lost every few days but it happened on consecutive days this week.
The router light stays on, no colour change.
0 Likes

Message 15 of 20

Hi @rajivverma

I'm sorry to hear this.

Please can you create a new topic on the Community, we can then look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 16 of 20

I am facing the similar issue for past couple of weeks.

The internet connection gets lost at least 4-5 time daily for short span like 30-60 seconds. But this is enough to disrupt any office calls.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 20

Hello,

Ok. How often is the connection dropping at the moment. Have you noticed if any of the lights change on the router when this happen?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 18 of 20
Thanks for the swift reply.
The set-up is like I described, 2 mobiles, 2 lap tops, TV so I assume all are wireless? The only other thing is 2 powerline adapters, installed quite quickly over 3 years ago due to ridiculously slow speeds ( master socket was eventually found tucked away in a cupboard ). Wired/wireless, it's all Dutch to me so I'm probably not helping you.
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 19 of 20

Hi falconi66,

I'm sorry to hear this and I will take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Do you have any devices connected wired? Do they also lose connection at the same time?

Thanks

0 Likes