FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low router throughput, high CPU occupancy...

ibeeby
Popular Poster
Message 26 of 26

Our (new) DG8041W router is running at 60%-90% CPU load with resultant low internet throughput even though there is very good broadband speed (38Mbit/s down, 8Mbit/s up).  Some devices cannot get internet at all and the service is seriously degraded.

This is a new router and I have done a factory reset etc to no good effect.

When a single devices is connected the internet speed is excellent.

I believe that there is a systemic weakness in this router - is this a problem generally?

Ian

0 Likes
25 REPLIES 25

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 26

Morning,

Thanks for the update 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 26

Just had to say. I use the DG8041, and it never runs above 10 percent cpu. Most times on 1 percent.  I find the router very reliable and stable.

Glad your service is now ok

Message 3 of 26

The returns label didn't arrive for a week by which time we were away and the label was a very poor print copy (the post office noted that they had had a similar issue with a TalkTalk returns label the previous week) and so it went yesterday with a new tracking number: NX282764396GB.

Ian

0 Likes

Message 4 of 26

Hi Ian

Apologies for this. I have ordered you a returns bag and you should receive this within the next 24-48hrs.

Thanks

Debbie 🙂

Message 5 of 26
No, I don't think so. There was nothing other than the router and its associated bits in the packaging and ditto for the Sagemcom router.

Message 6 of 26

Hi Ian

Did you receive a returns bag to return the Huawei router? This is a pre paid bag with the returns address on.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 7 of 26

We're taking the view that this replacement router (the Sagemcom) is working just fine and for some reason its predecessor is faulty or just not up to the job.

The new router has run faultlessly since its initial installation in stark contrast to the Huawei.

What do I need to do to to return the Huawei router?  I have the box etc but will need a postal address etc to return it.

Regards,

Ian

PS - someone might want to note that the telephone helpdesk were completely ineffective in dealing with this issue when I raised it with them (prior to posting here), not being able to get past the part of the script relating to WiFi performance (when even fixed connections were failing).

Message 8 of 26

Hi Ian

Thanks for keeping us updated 🙂

This will be the Sagemcom WiFi Hub.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 9 of 26

It looks the same but its a Sagem router.

So far an altogether better device.

Ian

Message 10 of 26
Out of curiosity, did you get the same Huawei router as a replacement?

Message 11 of 26

New router arrived at lunchtime.  Appears to be more responsive than the original and user devices are connected quickly and so far have not been thrown off (fixed or wired).  DHCP addresses are handed out within seconds rather than up to ten minutes.

Given that the previous router also appeared to be ok on arrival I propose a period of a couple of weeks bedding in to be sure - but this does appear to have a much more responsive user interface.  This router does not report CPU load or memory use but for that matter it doesn't give me reason to be concerned either.

Ian

Message 12 of 26

No Problem 🙂

Test when it arrives and just let us know here.

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Message 13 of 26

Thank you Karl.

Let me know the best way to provide feedback etc.

Best regards,

Ian

Message 14 of 26

Hi

Router on the way.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Message 15 of 26

Just wait until the support team respond again.

Message 16 of 26

Do I have to do anything to get this to happen?

The router is now re-booting itself quite frequently when the user downloads individual files (250kb-3mb).

Ian

0 Likes

Message 17 of 26

Yes please.

Ian

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 18 of 26

Hi Ian,

Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out?

Thanks

Message 19 of 26

You have done now. Feel free to carry on contacting them directly, or wait until the team here pick this up which I suggest is the best way forward. 

Message 20 of 26

Pretty sure that I have done so.

The second call was not very satisfactory.  Apparently they have decided to perform a software update on their "tools" during the day, which is very strange for a telco, and so I have to web-chat tomorrow (sunday) or call on Monday.

Ian