FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lower Speeds After Switch To Fibre 65 & New Router

AndyUK
Whizz Kid
Message 48 of 48

On 8 April I took out a new contract for Fibre 65 as my previous contract for Faster Fibre + Speed Boost was due to expire.  Prior to the change I was getting download speeds of around 55 Mbps and 15 Mbps upload as can be seen in my thread here: Speed Not Tuned After Switch To Fibre - TalkTalk Help & Support

When I renewed I was told that Fibre 65 was the replacement for Faster Fibre + Speed Boost and that my speeds shouldn't change.  Initially that proved to be correct, there was no break in service and the speeds didn't change.

However on 10 April I received a new TalkTalk Wifi Hub (Sagecom type) and installed it.  Having done that my speeds had dropped to 42 Mbs down and 13 Mbps up.  Overnight the hub software was updated and the download speed increased slightly to 44 Mbps and it's not improved since then.  I ran a line test today which suggested there may be a problem with my home setup.  The only change in my home setup since Thursday is the change of Hub / Router and the cable connecting it to the master socket.  I changed the cable and see no improvement.

Can someone please investigate why my download speed has dropped by around 10 Mbps despite me now paying more for Fibre 65 than I was for my previous package?

Andy L

0 Likes
47 REPLIES 47

Message 21 of 48

Thanks Chris.  Is it OK if I leave it a week before deciding on a visit?  It still strikes me as odd that the 'fault' should appear at exactly the same time as I swapped routers and re-established my connection.  Putting the old router back didn't fix it nor did using the test socket.  Are you sure the DLM isn't asleep on the job!!!?

Andy L

0 Likes

Message 22 of 48

Hi Andy,

In answer to your questions

1. It would be a Openreach engineer visit

2. I can't say that you definitely won't be charged but I think in this scenario it's unlikely that there would be a charge if no fault is found as the speeds are below the bottom of the guaranteed minimum. 

Chris

Message 23 of 48

Morning Chris,

Two questions if I may:

1.  The link you gave giving engineer charges shows several types of visit.  Which are we looking at here - Service visit by TalkTalk engineer or Openreach visit.

2.  If I have a visit and no fault is found within my home I'll presumably be charged £40 or £65 and will still be stuck with the lower speed.  What would be the next move in that case?

Andy L

0 Likes

Message 24 of 48

Hi Andy

The type of engineer we can book (appointed or non-appointed) depends on the line test results, in this case as the line test is now passing we would have to arrange an engineer visit to the home 

There are details of potential engineer charges here - Engineers charges

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 25 of 48

Chris,

Whilst I obviously can't rule out a fault in my home it does seem unlikely to me as effectively all that has happened in the house between me getting around 54 Mbps download and now, when it's around 42 Mbps, is that I unplugged one router (HG633) and connected the new one (Sagemcom).  Putting the HG633 back didn't improve matters either.

Am I right in thinking an engineer's visit would be at my expense?

Looking at some of the other posts in this section it seems that I'm not the only one on Fibre 65 to have suffered reduction in download speed.  How confident are you that the issue isn't down to something amiss at Openreach or TalkTalk?

Andy L

0 Likes

Message 26 of 48

Hi Andy,

Thanks for trying that

The engineer notes just say Engineer was unable to identify the cause of the fault. no fault was found.Final FastTest completed.The test passed on 16/04/2021 16:12.

We can arrange an engineer visit to your home to investigate further. If you'd like us to do this please let us know and we'll confirm some details

Chris

0 Likes

Message 27 of 48

Chris,

I left the router off for just over an hour and am seeing little difference. 42.0 Mbps down and 12.3 Mbps up as measured using a wired connection to the router and the TalkTalk Speed Check page.

Do you know what the engineer did last Saturday? They didn't contact me at all and after TalkTalk had told me the visit had been made the router stats showed no break in connection up to that point so I suspect it didn't involve any physical intervention to the connection.

Andy L

0 Likes

Message 28 of 48
0 Likes

Message 29 of 48

Thanks Chris, I'm pretty sure the router was off for 30 mins after the engineer's visit but I'll try again and get back to you.

Andy L

0 Likes

Message 30 of 48

Hi Andy,

Your current sync speed is 44.6Mbps (if you were on Fibre 35 your sync speed could be no higher than 40.0Mbps)

If you haven't done this since the engineer visit, could you switch your router off and leave it off for at least 30 minutes, then switch back on and retest - please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 31 of 48

Hi Michelle,

The speed did recover from the 19.6 Mbps down 8.9 Up I reported on Wednesday but only to about 42 Mbps down 12.6 Mbps up that I reported in the opening post of this thread and hasn't changed at all over the weekend.

We appear to be back to square one with a download speed around 10 Mbps lower than I initially saw after the contract change when I was given an estimate of between 52 and 78 Mbps download.  Why the change when the line, now apparently fault free, used to be capable of supporting a 55 Mbps download?  Has anyone checked that I wasn't given a Fibre 35 connection by mistake after I reconnected having installed the new router on Saturday 10 April?

Where do we go from here as I'm not happy paying more for a worse service that should apparently be the same as I was getting with Faster Fibre + Speed Boost for the previous 18 months?

Andy L

0 Likes

Message 32 of 48

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the update. I've checked and the line test is now clear. How have you found the speed over the weekend?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 33 of 48

Just had an email and text, subject "Our engineer has resolved the service issue" 

Hello ,

We've sent an engineer to fix a problem with your line and we're now monitoring it. Your connection might take a few days to adjust. If you find that you are having any further issues after 2 days please go to your online service centre where you can live chat to our support team.

Your TalkTalk team

I'll keep an eye on the download speed over the weekend.

Andy L

0 Likes

Message 34 of 48

Hi Andy

We will check on this fault again on Monday for any additional updates from Openreach.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 35 of 48
Thanks Debbie, I'll await developments.

Andy L

Message 36 of 48

Hi Andy

Thanks for your reply.

You can now connect the router back to your usual set up. I have escalated this fault over to Openreach to be investigated by a line engineer.

We should receive further updates from Openreach within the next 48-72hrs.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 37 of 48

Morning Michelle,

Voice service still seems fine, no noise on a call made just now.  Not sure what you can see but the DLM apparently has made no attempt to increase the speed overnight, connection has been up for 22 hrs and download speed still 19.6.

Do you want me to put the socket back together and connect the new router again so that the setup at this end is as it was before I connected the HG633 to the test socket?

Andy L

0 Likes

Message 38 of 48

Hi Andy,

The line test is now detecting a potential fault. Could you confirm if the voice service is currently ok with no noise on the line and I will pass the drop in sync speed over to Openreach for further investigation.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 39 of 48

I've just powered up the router and speed still much lower than earlier, 19.6 down 8.9 up.  I'll leave things as they are, HG633 on the test socket, and report back tomorrow.

Andy L

0 Likes

Message 40 of 48

Hi Andy,

Ok thanks for trying this. It can take DLM up to 48hrs to make changes to the speed if the connection remains stable. Would it be possible to post back here tomorrow and we can re-check your connection stats again please?

Thanks

0 Likes