FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lower Speeds After Switch To Fibre 65 & New Router

AndyUK
Whizz Kid
Message 48 of 48

On 8 April I took out a new contract for Fibre 65 as my previous contract for Faster Fibre + Speed Boost was due to expire.  Prior to the change I was getting download speeds of around 55 Mbps and 15 Mbps upload as can be seen in my thread here: Speed Not Tuned After Switch To Fibre - TalkTalk Help & Support

When I renewed I was told that Fibre 65 was the replacement for Faster Fibre + Speed Boost and that my speeds shouldn't change.  Initially that proved to be correct, there was no break in service and the speeds didn't change.

However on 10 April I received a new TalkTalk Wifi Hub (Sagecom type) and installed it.  Having done that my speeds had dropped to 42 Mbs down and 13 Mbps up.  Overnight the hub software was updated and the download speed increased slightly to 44 Mbps and it's not improved since then.  I ran a line test today which suggested there may be a problem with my home setup.  The only change in my home setup since Thursday is the change of Hub / Router and the cable connecting it to the master socket.  I changed the cable and see no improvement.

Can someone please investigate why my download speed has dropped by around 10 Mbps despite me now paying more for Fibre 65 than I was for my previous package?

Andy L

0 Likes
47 REPLIES 47

Message 1 of 48

I was away for 4 days last month after my last post and the router was turned off for that time.  On my return I powered the router back up and it has remained on since then, 24 days according to the router stats.  On power up the router synced at 44.4 down / 14.0 up and has remained in sync at those speeds since.  My measured speeds via the TalkTalk Speedcheck as of this morning are 41.8 down / 13.1 up (wired).

Needless to say I'm not satisfied as the download speed is still around 10 Mbps lower than it was under my old contract and for the first 2 days of this one until I fitted the new Sagemcom Hub.  Remember that when I took out the new contract I was assured  that my speeds wouldn't change as Fibre 65 was the equivalent of my previous Speed Boosted Faster Fibre contract.

The line has been tested several times and found to be fault free, an Openreach engineer visited and confirmed the line was in excellent condition and found no fault in my property.  If the line and equipment are fault free why has the download speed dropped so much and what do TalkTalk propose to do to restore the speeds to the level I was led to believe I would get by the agent who renewed my contract?

Andy L

0 Likes

Message 2 of 48

Hello,

Ok please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 3 of 48

Thanks for checking there's nothing that you can see that's causing the problem.  The next week or so won't be convenient for an engineer's visit so in the meantime I'll monitor the situation and get back to you before the end of the month.

Andy L

0 Likes

Message 4 of 48

There's nothing that I can see that could be restricting your speed, the only option open is to arrange another engineer visit. If you'd like us to do this please let us know 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 5 of 48

I'd rather pursue getting my speed back to what it was for months on end whilst I was on Faster Fibre with Speedboost, and, don't forget, the first two days of my current contract. Offering a downgrade to Fibre 35 seems to be a cop out on TalkTalk's part.

The line is fine, almost perfect as stated by the Openreach engineer, so why can't I get the speed it used to be capable of supporting?  Perhaps the problem lies somewhere else which may not yet have been investigated.

Andy L

0 Likes

Message 6 of 48

Hi Andy,

The speeds you are getting are just on the guaranteed minimum. We could arrange another engineer visit but I think unfortunately the likely outcome is that they won't be able to do anything to improve the speed. (there's also the option to downgrade to Fibre 35 as your not seeing much of a speed benefit on Fibre 65)

Chris

0 Likes

Message 7 of 48

I restarted the router yesterday evening and at the moment the speeds are worse.  This is what I recorded after the restart and there is no change this morning, the connection has remained up since the restart:

Speedtest 41.2 Down 12.8 Up.  Router first page 43.8 Down / 13.7 Up.  Detailed page Actual 43845 Down / Max 50110 Down, Actual 13661 Up / Max 13661 Up.

Where do we go from here?

Andy L

0 Likes

Message 8 of 48

Thanks for the update Andy, yes could you switch your router off for 30 minutes then switch back on and retest 

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 48

Tested again this morning and on all previous mornings and the data is the same as I reported previously for 1 May:

Speedtest 43.7 Down 13.1 Up.  Router first page 46.4 Down / 14 Up.  Detailed page Actual 46405 Down / Max 53201 Down, Actual 14027 Up / Max 14027 Up.

The connection has been up continuously since the automatic reset overnight 30 Apr / 1 May so it seems the DLM has tried to make no further changes.

Is it worth restarting the router to see if the actual down speed gets closer to the max of 53201 kbps?  If so how long should I leave it off for?

Andy L

0 Likes

Message 10 of 48

Thanks for the information Andy

Line test is still clear and router is in sync at 46.4Mbps. I've checked what you mention about prioritising stability for TV but this isn't the case for you

DLM is still adjusting your profile so it may be worth giving it until the end of the week to see if any further changes are made.

Chris

0 Likes

Message 11 of 48

Just seen a typo in my earlier reply:

For 0900 1 May "Router first page 46.4 Up / 14 Down." should of course read "Router first page 46.4 Down / 14 Up."

Andy L

0 Likes

Message 12 of 48

Chris,

Results of monitoring so far:

1425 29 Apr Speedtest 43.8 Down 12.8 Up.  Router first page 46.6 Down / 13.6 Up.  Detailed page Actual 466xx Down / Max 466xx Down, Actual 136xx Up Max 136xx Up.  I didn't note the last two figures but Actual and Max were the same in both cases.

0930 30 Apr  No change in any of the above.

Connection apparently was reset overnight 30 Apr / 1 May

0900 1 May Speedtest 43.7 Down 13.1 Up.  Router first page 46.4 Up / 14 Down.  Detailed page Actual 46405 Down / Max 53201 Down, Actual 14027 Up Max 14027 Up.

0900 2, 3 and 4 May No change to any of the 1 May figures except +/- 0.1 variation on Speedtest download figure.

The overnight automatic reset has increased the Max Down rate but slightly reduced the Actual and slightly increased both the Max and Actual Up rate.

To cut a long story short, no significant improvement since the engineer's visit so I'm still about 10 Mbps worse off in terms of download speed than I was before yet the line checks out fine.

I don't know if it's still applicable to a fibre connection but I believe that having TV active on the connection caused the DLM to prioritise stability over speed.  If that's still correct then it maybe worth checking that TV isn't active on my connection, I'm not paying for it and can't use it.

Andy L

0 Likes

Message 13 of 48

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the update. Could you monitor your connection for a few days and bump the thread again next week and we'll see how you're getting on. We can check if there has been any improvement or not

Chris

0 Likes

Message 14 of 48

The engineer has now left and was unable to find any physical fault with the line.  He fitted a new master socket as is their policy.  He did discover that the route of the landline to the cabinet is not as shown on their plan but a hundred metres or so longer so it wasn't a complete waste of time!

He reset something, DLM?, and initially recorded a speed of 53.3 Mbps to the router but by the time he left it was down to 46.6.

A speed test, wired, using the TalkTalk test page currently shows 43.8 down and 12.8 up. A slight improvement but not the 50+ Mbps I was experiencing before I started this thread.  I'll keep an eye on it but have yet to receive a convincing explanation as to why I've lost around 10 Mbps download speed given that there's no fault on the line or with the equipment in the house.

Andy L

0 Likes

Message 15 of 48
0 Likes

Message 16 of 48

Thanks Chris, that was quick.  I was expecting to wait longer than one day!  I'll report back tomorrow.

Andy L

0 Likes

Message 17 of 48

Hi Andy,

I've booked the earliest appointment available - April 29 2021, AM (08:00-13:00) - please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 18 of 48

Hi Andy

I'll send you a PM to confirm some details to allow an engineer to progress.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 19 of 48

Chris,

Grateful if you could arrange the engineer's visit.  No change in speed since last week.

Andy L

0 Likes

Message 20 of 48

Yes that's no problem Andy. Your current line profile isn't capping your speed so if you have the same speed with both routers at the test socket then it does look as though there is an issue on the line causing the low speed

Chris

0 Likes