FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lower Speeds After Switch To Fibre 65 & New Router

AndyUK
Whizz Kid
Message 48 of 48

On 8 April I took out a new contract for Fibre 65 as my previous contract for Faster Fibre + Speed Boost was due to expire.  Prior to the change I was getting download speeds of around 55 Mbps and 15 Mbps upload as can be seen in my thread here: Speed Not Tuned After Switch To Fibre - TalkTalk Help & Support

When I renewed I was told that Fibre 65 was the replacement for Faster Fibre + Speed Boost and that my speeds shouldn't change.  Initially that proved to be correct, there was no break in service and the speeds didn't change.

However on 10 April I received a new TalkTalk Wifi Hub (Sagecom type) and installed it.  Having done that my speeds had dropped to 42 Mbs down and 13 Mbps up.  Overnight the hub software was updated and the download speed increased slightly to 44 Mbps and it's not improved since then.  I ran a line test today which suggested there may be a problem with my home setup.  The only change in my home setup since Thursday is the change of Hub / Router and the cable connecting it to the master socket.  I changed the cable and see no improvement.

Can someone please investigate why my download speed has dropped by around 10 Mbps despite me now paying more for Fibre 65 than I was for my previous package?

Andy L

0 Likes
47 REPLIES 47

Message 41 of 48
HG633 now connected to the test socket via a new filter. Download speed now about half what it was earlier this morning! Perhaps I should have left the router off for longer. I'll try again after switching it off for 30 mins.

Andy L
0 Likes

Message 42 of 48

Hi Andy,

Thanks for confirming. Yes please can you re-connect the HG633 router and we can check the speed again to see if DLM has increased the speed.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 43 of 48

Hi Michelle,

I've not noticed any noise on the voice service.  There is a test socket behind the main socket.  If you want me to connect to it is it worth using the previous router (HG633) to rule out a fault with the new one?

Let's not lose sight of the fact that the download speed was as it had been, around 54-55 Mbps, for the first two days of the new contract, only dropping to the 42 Mbps I'm getting now after installing the new router on Saturday afternoon.  So unless the line developed a fault at exactly the same time as new router connected shouldn't I still be able to get at least 54 Mbps download speed?  FWIW the email confirming my new contract gave an estimate of between 52 and 78 Mbps download speed.

Andy L

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 44 of 48

Morning Andy,

I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see that the sync speed has dropped. Is there any noise on the voice service? Does your main socket have a test socket?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 45 of 48

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

They aim to respond within 48 hours (Monday - Friday), but if more urgent you can always try the Service Centre. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. Please try to avoid posting on here until TalkTalk have responded to you, otherwise, this will just put you further down the queue.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 46 of 48

Keith,

The speeds I quoted, both current and historic, are measured via a wired connection to the router on the TalkTalk speed test page: https://www.talktalk.co.uk/speedcheck/

Looking at the Sagemcom dashboard I see 45 Mbps download and 13.6 Mbps upload. 

Delving deeper and looking at the Device Info under xDSI I see:

Downstream Actual Rate [Kbps] 44957 Maximum Rate [Kbps] 51397

Upstream Actual Rate [Kbps] 13564 Maximum Rate [Kbps] 13564

Happy to provide further info from the router stats if it would help.

Andy L

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 47 of 48

Are these speeds measured by speed tests or by checking the Sagemcom's dashboard? If the former, please can you log into your Sagemcom & check the speed there?

What type of connection to the router are you using - wired (Ethernet) or wireless?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes