FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to nearer cabinet . . .

BerryViney
Team Player
Message 43 of 43

Hi All,

The last time LiveChat and CS agents failed me; you lot turned out to be amazing; so hoping you will do the same again . . .

Long story short, our fibre speeds have HALVED recently, so contacted Live Chat, who after making  sure I hadn’t plugged the router into the toaster or did a bit of home DIY and moved the Master Socket into next doors shed, sent a BT Openreach engineer; very nice chap but was unable to fix the issue, which was that our cabinet was too far away and we need re-routing to a closer cabinet.

A week later, 2nd BT Openreach chap comes out, after TalkTalk have told them it’s a ‘repair’ job. Poor chap was sitting in my lounge for TWO HOURS whilst on the phone to TalkTalk trying to explain that they need to ‘cease and re-provide’ our line to a closer cabinet; TWO hours on the phone! As a result of which, TalkTalk have ended our current contract and have started a brand new one, which we’re told, will be connected to a closer cabinet when our ‘new’ line goes live in two weeks.

Have just received a txt from Talk Talk ‘we need to speak to you about your order’. Call them, and they say “we just want to check if it’s a new line or a 2nd line that needs installing”. REALLY?!

Tried explaining everything, but not sure I was understood. Let’s see what happens when the next BT Openreach guy comes out . . .

Anyone experiences the same?

0 Likes
42 REPLIES 42

Message 41 of 43

A162DBBC-63AF-4ED4-ABAB-44C8F3B6AFD3.pngHi @KeithFrench,

Thanks for the reply.

All of our connections apart from our Hive Hub are wireless; attached are screenshots of what you’ve asked.

SpeedTest results are 10.4mbps download & 4.9mbps upload.

The OpenReach engineer (both actually) seemed very confident that moving cabinets would be the answer and solution and is said that it’s something that’s been done for a number of people on the street who’s had similar issues. (We’re in a new-build estate, where they have just recently our installed another cabinet at the end of our road, if that makes a difference).

Openreach have filled me with confidence that is certainly a viable solution, (I think the phrase they used was “cease and re-provide to a new cabinet”); what isn’t filling me with confidence is TalkTalk, having to end our contract, having to start a new one, then calling me to ask what’s going on; surely they should know that themselves as they should be following instructions from OpenReach?

Thanks again.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 42 of 43

I fail to see how it is technically possible to connect to a closer cabinet & if your speeds are half what they were a while back, have you been put on a cabinet further away then? I don't think so.

Please bear with me & let's get some more facts & then I will help you fix this or pass it over to the TalkTalk OCEs if not.

How do you connect wireless, wired, or a mixture? If a mixture is a wired connection better than wireless?

It is important to see what your line is actually capable of and what your current download speed is.

To help diagnose this issue, please can you log on to your router, by opening a web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome etc) and then enter this address in the address bar:-

http://192.168.1.1

enter the credentials:-

username: admin
password: admin        (unless you have set your own password).

If you use the HG633 & DSL-3782 or the TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub, they have their own unique password, which can be found at the top of the label on the rear of the router. It is the one labelled "router" or "admin" password, not the wireless one.

Then go to your ADSL or DSL summary page & paste the stats in this thread.

On the HG633 this is at:-

Maintain > System Information & expand Broadband Information

On the DSL-3782 go to the home page & copy the stats from the DSL & IPv4 pages.

If you have the new TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub this can be seen via:-

Dashboard > See internet settings > Manage Advanced settings > TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub

Click on the General tab then scroll down to the page to the xDSL section & copy & paste them into your reply.

Next can you also go to this speed checker (it is useful to have speed test figures taken at the same time as gathering the router's statistics):-

http://www.supportal-test.co.uk/

Alternatively use:-

https://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/speed-checker/

Do this on both wireless & wired (if you have wired), but with never more than one device connected at a time.

Please can you paste the results here?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes