FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My wifi speeds are just terrible

JoeMBell
Popular Poster
Message 18 of 18

Hello, i’ve spoken to multiple talktalk employees about this situation which has been going on for over a week now, my speeds through a time period of 2/3pm to 1am are just terrible i’m getting speeds of 2mbps i’m guessing even if I was on the slowest broadband speed I would get more than that, but i’m not i’m on Fibre 65 where my minimum speed says I should be getting 64.1mbps. It’s really infuriating now as i’ve spoke to people through live chat on twitter direct message etc, all I keep getting asked is if they can run checks they run the checks and come back to me and tell me that the line is fine on their end to the router, i’ve literally tried, searched and done everything possible to get my internet speed to pick up during the times i’ve set and nothing at all has worked, my partner works from home and the internet doesn’t help that situation, I can’t play on the PlayStation whatsoever, I can’t really search things on the internet as it takes about 5 minutes to load when I press enter and all it feels like is talktalk are leaving me in the dark with whatever the situation is.

JMB
0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

Message 1 of 18
0 Likes

Message 2 of 18
Will do thank you for your helo
JMB

Message 3 of 18

HI @GStanley

Please can you create a new topic on the Community, we can then look into this for you.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 18

Hi I have the same problem with Wifi.  I find it is Okay on a morning , but evening it is unusable.  I traced the problem to the Wifi channel.  The new TT router automatically checks for the best channel (always 11).  I can change it in the router settings and resolve the problem but it reverts back to channel 11.  I called Talktalk support and explained the issue and asked them to disable their remote management tool "Wi-Fi Optimisation.  As the support engineer didn't really want and said it looks for the best channel.

I bypassed the problem by adding an old router to the Talktalk router and used its wi-fi set to channel 1. Problem solved. Bit annoying as I had to buy the new Talktalk router. Maybe I should return the new one and  ask for my money back.

Message 5 of 18

Hi JoeMBell

Thanks for your reply. Please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 18

Hiya Debbie, last night at about 6 I was getting about 65+mbps today right now i’m getting around the same but last nights really surprised me as that’s when the struggle has been happening. I was going to add a picture but because i’m on iPhone I can’t 😂 i’m going to give it a couple more days to see if the line is consistent then i’ll cancel my engineer.

JMB
0 Likes

Message 7 of 18

Hi JoeMBell

I'm so glad to hear this. What speed are you now receiving?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 8 of 18
I do believe my line may be up and running after almost 2 weeks of 1/2/3 mbps, I think the openreach engineer outside my house may have finish whatever he must’ve been doing
JMB

Message 9 of 18

Hi JoeMBell

Thanks for your reply.

Your line is currently in sync at 78mb.

Please can you power down the router for a full 30 minutes and then run a speed test?

0 Likes

Message 10 of 18
Hiya Debbie,
I don’t believe so, the advisor said it was a brightsparks engineer? If that makes any more sense to you than it does to me?
JMB
0 Likes

Message 11 of 18

Hi JoeMBell

Is this an Openreach engineer visit?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 12 of 18
Hiya Debbie,
I’ve already received a new router to try and fix it but nothing changed, i’ve been given a time slot for an engineer on the 23rd of March, i’m almost certain it’s because openreach have been doing road works outside my house alongside other people doing road works
JMB
0 Likes

Message 13 of 18

Hi JoeMBell

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults.

Would you like me to send a different router for testing to see how the connection compares?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 14 of 18

Asit affects wired connections as well, I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. Please try to avoid posting on here until TalkTalk have responded to you, otherwise, this will just put you further down the queue.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 15 of 18
Also the lights are just the standard white light. Nothing else ever seems to show up.
JMB
0 Likes

Message 16 of 18
Hi Keith, i’m not great with all the technical lingo really😂 my wired connection acts exactly the same as the wireless connection both are poor. I believe my model is the sagemcom, the one with the bronze colour and the holes in.
JMB
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 17 of 18

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

However, other factors should be investigated first. When this happens, what are the lights showing on the front of the router? Do you have any wired connections & if so, how do they perform?

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

If you would like me to help you, please can you specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they?