FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to locate my BT cable run

chartman
Whizz Kid
Message 9 of 9

I have to replace my drive and garden lawn. The BT cable is buried underneath. I can see the first few metres but I need to know where/how it runs out to the pavement. Who do I contact to get a trace done ?  ( Have to do the same for Gas/Electric and water)

chartman
0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

It's definitely worth spending £49 to save £100s.

Have just been staying somewhere where the owner has a very large bill to pay because a handyman cut almost all the way through the cable while laying a patio.....!

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 2 of 9

Not nice but it might be the best £ 49 you spend on the job...Have you asked the contractor if they have a cable detector? Or I guess you could hire one if doing it yourself but dont know how much that would cost.

I would think the other services are much deeper than the base layer for a drive but it would be worth asking the relevant providers what the minimum depth of their services is. It's definitely regulated.

Fritz

Message 3 of 9

Seems BT want £49 to get access to their cable maps of house to street....

chartman
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 4 of 9

Hi chartman,

Apologies, the help article should also mention moving/re-locating a line and we're currently updating the article to reflect this.

Thanks

Message 5 of 9

This has nothing to do with master sockets. The cable is outside the house.

chartman
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 6 of 9

Hi chartman,

If you wanted the cable re-locating then we can arrange this as an Low Volume Request (LVR) I've included more information below.

Your guide to master sockets

Thanks

FritzCT
Wise Owl
Message 7 of 9

You need to contact Openreach. We have some BT cable running across a parking area where I live (flats) which meant we couldn't get Virgin as we were not allowed to cross over their cable for some reason; I guess interference.

Our Management Co. got the info from OR as to exactly where the cable was.

Fritz

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 8 of 9

I have never seen the question or answer here on the forums.

You'll just have to ask your contractors to dig carefully if all of the cable run is on your property.