FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Upgrade

lesmorrell
First Timer
Message 7 of 7

Open Reach are currently upgrading network to give me fibre to the door- at present despite my Faster Broadband contract giving me 38mbps to cabinet speed is about 11 at door. Any experience of how TalkTalk connect up to new network so that I can take advantage of the package speed I have been paying for over many years. Do I need to do anything or do TalkTalk automatically switch as I am paying for fibre to nearest to door available capped at 38mbps?

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 7

Hi,

Would you like us to take a look at your current speeds?

Thanks

martswain
Philosopher
Message 2 of 7

TT will not connect you to Future Fibre (the name for their service via Openreach FTTP) automatically, you have to order it and as I said before, you will need a totally new and different installation.

The lowest speed they offer on Future Fibre is 150 Data Only and the other is 500 Data Only, there is no phone service included at all.

PS. Your community profile is not showing as completed, make sure you save any changes.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 3 of 7

Fibre 35 and Fibre 65 are only available on the type of connection you have now (Fibre to the cabinet, but copper from the cabinet to your home). With these products that use copper from the cabinet to your home the speed you can get at your home is totally dependent on the length of the phone line between the cabinet and your home, so not every customer on Fibre 35 will get 35mbps, that is just an average speed across all customers.

You will not get any automatic upgrade. Just because Openreach are installing FTTP does not mean TalkTalk will offer their service over it any time soon, and if they did make it available in your area you would need to upgrade to their Future Fibre product as explained by @martswain 

The Future Fibre products offer much faster speeds (150mbps+), you can't get the 35mbps or 65mbps service over the full fibre connection.

lesmorrell
First Timer
Message 4 of 7

I have updared my profile.

To clarify- I currently have Fibre 35 contract but the OR network is copper/aluminium from cabinet. This is currently being upgraded and should be available in the next couple of months. I currently get speeds of 11 on a good day- 8 on a bad day and both above guaranteed speed. When the upgraded network is in place will TalkTalk automatically connect me so that I can get speeds closer to 35, which would have been the current situation if the OR network was up to it to it (as their tech helpline advised me) or will I need to do something to trigger it?. My contract expires on 29/11 and if by then TT will not or cannot supply at least 35 mbps I am sure others will and I will transfer after 26 years,

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 5 of 7

@lesmorrell 

There is no automatic upgrade from a service that comes over the phone line to full fibre to the home with TT.

If and when TT offer that service in your area you will have to order it yourself by phone or your online account.

A wall will be have to be drilled for the fibre cable, a new optical termination point and modem installed and you may need a new router.

Your phone line will be disconnected as TT do not currently provide any phone service at all with Future Fibre.

There are plans to offer a VoIP (internet phone) service sometime in the future but no dates confirmed.

If you want a phone service you will have to port your number to a third party VoIP company.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 6 of 7

Hi @lesmorrell,

What TalkTalk package do you actually have (i.e. Fibre 35, Fibre 65 etc.)

The details in your post are a little confusing, if you could answer the questions below that will help us understand your current situation :

If you go to the Service Centre what does it show for your estimated speed range. If you log into your router to check your sync speed does this show speeds within that estimated range. If you run a speed test (ideally from both a wired and wireless device so that you can compare), how close are the speed test results to the sync speed shown on your router.

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to help you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

Then they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.

0 Likes