FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network performance dropped from 60 Mbps to 25 Mbps

arthurg
Popular Poster
Message 16 of 16

As you can see from the network history below since the 05/03/21 the network performance has dropped from 61 Mbps to 21..25 Mbps. The Router line quality looks good and shows a connection of 65 Mbps. There have been no changes to my network. 

I tried contacting support who rebooted the router without warning whilst we were chatting, breaking the connection and not improving the performance.

Can you please look into what is causing the drop in performance in the TalkT network and let me know when it will be resolved. Please do not reboot my router again without warning as this is obviously not the cause of the issue.

Regards, 

-Arthur

Network history

07/03/21 - 21/14 

05/03/21 - 25/14 

02/03/21 - 58/14 

28/02/21 - 61/14

26/02/21 - 61/14

Router Line Quality

Upstream line rate (kbit/s): 15839

Downstream line rate (kbit/s): 65666

Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 5.7

Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 5.1

Upstream interleave depth: 1

Downstream interleave depth: 13

Line standard: VDSL2

Upstream line attenuation (dB): 7

Downstream line attenuation (dB): 15.1

Upstream output power (dBm): 6.4

Downstream output power (dBm): 12.8

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

Hi arthurg

I'm glad to hear that this fault has been resolved, thanks for letting us know.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 16

I phoned support, they tested the line, sent an engineer and fixed the issue.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 16

Hi arthurg

Thanks for testing the router at the test socket.

I've completed another line test which is now clear, no faults detected. 

Would you like me to send a different router for testing to see how the connection compares?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 16

TT appear to be login into the router and resetting the DSL connection on a regular basis so it can't be too much of an issue.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 16
Well that is marginally more sensible !. Probably best to just leave the router connected at the test socket now. You don't want to cause too may reconnections in a day as that in itself can then start have temporary knock on effects on your speed.

Message 6 of 16

Following yet another reset of the DSL it is now 2.6

0 Likes

Message 7 of 16
That's a mighty bizarre "Upstream noise safety coefficient", is it consistently giving that reading, or is it a more sensible number if you check again now ?
0 Likes

Message 8 of 16

I have reconnected the router to the test point.

The sync speeds are now much lower

DSL synchronization status: Up
Connection status: Showtime
Upstream line rate (kbit/s): 8923
Downstream line rate (kbit/s): 20807
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s): 8784
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s): 26900
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):-51.2
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 4
Upstream interleave depth: 1
Downstream interleave depth: 13
Line standard: VDSL2
Upstream line attenuation (dB):  23.2
Downstream line attenuation (dB): 24.8
Upstream output power (dBm): 7.8
Downstream output power (dBm): 12
Channel type: Interleaved
0 Likes

Message 9 of 16
If possible it would be good if you could leave the router connected at the test socket for several days, this will give the staff here a chance to do some tests. Are the sync speeds shown when you log into the router still as high as they were before, and it is just the actual speed test results that are poor ?

Note that having the faceplate removed from your master socket to let you access the test socket will likely mean any other extension phone sockets in your house will now be dead (if you have any).
0 Likes

Message 10 of 16

I have connected the router to the test socket and now get 15Mbps down and 6Mbps up, so worse performance than before.

Measurements are taken from a wired connection to the router.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 16

Hi @arthurg,

Depending on the type of master phone socket you have, it may have a test socket inside it, more details here : https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Your-guide-to-main-phone-sockets/ta-p/2205432

Message 12 of 16

Hi Debbie,

The router is connected to the socket. I am not sure what you mean by test socket.

Regards,

-Arthur

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 13 of 16

Hi Arthur

I'm sorry to hear this.

The line test has detected a possible fault.

Is the router currently connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 14 of 16

Hi @arthurg,

Are your speed test results from a wired or wireless device, it is best to check from a wired device to get accurate results.

If a wired speed test result is giving significantly slower speeds than your routers sync speed then have you tried switching the router off for over 30 minutes, this will mean your router will create a new 'session' in the street cabinet when it is switched back on, this can often help get the wired throughput speed up closer to the sync speed.

The TalkTalk staff on this community will also be able to help, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post within a working day or two.

arthurg
Popular Poster
Message 15 of 16

Thanks for resetting my internet connection again without warning. It has made no difference to the connection speed.

0 Likes