FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer - Not even close to guaranteed internet speed

LewLou092817
Popular Poster
Message 19 of 19

So we have recently joined TalkTalk and when setting up we were given 22mbps as our guaranteed minimum internet speed, with the potential to get around 40mbps. We have Fibre 65.

Our internet speed has been extremely low though. We are outside of the 14 day adjustment period that is recommended to allow for after installation (we had an engineer set it up) so we should now be getting our minimum speed. Instead we are getting barely 9mbps! That is less than half of our guaranteed minimum speed!

I have been through the service centre on our online account and it all does it acknowledge our internet speed is extremely low. No issues with our actual connection have been flagged (it has green ticks). I can't find any way of contacting TalkTalk directly either to find out how this can be resolved.

Does anyone have any suggestions? We have been through all of the advice regarding set up, location, etc of the router. We don't even have multiple devices running at the same time very much, 2 simultaneously at the most. Even a gaming console that is plugged directly into the router can barely get 9mbps, so it is not just wifi that is the issue. Is there something wrong with our router or is it our connection?

How do we get the guaranteed minimum internet speed we were promised when signing up?

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18

Message 1 of 19

Hi LewLou092817

No problem. I've changed the appointment to 18/05 AM (8am - 1pm)

Thanks

Debbie

Message 2 of 19

@Debbie-TalkTalk 

Both myself and my husband will be at work on Friday so no one will be at home.

Could we arrange the visit for Tuesday 18th or Wednesday 19th? Any time those days would be fine 

Message 3 of 19

Hi LewLou092817

Thanks for your reply.

I have arranged the engineer visit for Friday 14/05 AM (8am - 1pm)

Will this date and time be ok?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 19

@Debbie-TalkTalk Hi Debbie, I have sent the details requested in the private message. And regarding availability for the engineer visit it will depend entirely on the day. My days off from work change week to week so there is a not a consistent time that will guarantee someone being at home. Are we able to arrange a specific date first?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 19

Hi LewLou092817

Thanks for confirming your details.

Please can you also provide your availability for this visit AM and PM? I can then arrange the engineer visit.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 19

Hi LewLou092817

Apologies for this.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange an engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 7 of 19

@Debbie-TalkTalk Hi Debbie, we have received the replacement router and given it a few days since switching over. However there is not any difference to the internet speed. We are still only getting 10mbps. We even changed the position of the router so there are no obstructions around it and even the console plugged directly into the router is still struggling to get more than 10mpbs. 

Is the next step to resolve this issue to send out an engineer to look into the issue?

Would appreciate any further help you can provide.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 19

Hi LewLou092817

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection/speed compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 9 of 19

@Debbie-TalkTalk Hi Debbie, yes please. Might be worth trying out a different router first if that could make a difference.

Message 10 of 19

Hi LewLou092817

Would you like me to send a replacement router first?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 19

@Debbie-TalkTalk Hi Debbie, We do not have any other routers we can test the socket with. Would it be best to send an engineer round to look into the issue? Will someone contact me to arrange this so I can ensure it is planned for a day when someone will definitely be at home?

0 Likes

Message 12 of 19

Hi LewLou092817

Thanks for your reply.

Have you recently tested with a different router at the test socket?

The next step following this will be to arrange an engineer visit to investigate the drops in connection/speed.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 13 of 19

@Debbie-TalkTalk Hi Debbie, the router was unplugged once to move it but the speed was poor even before it got unplugged. It has been constantly plugged in and switched on since then. And the connection does seem to drop at times, the overall speed does seem to fluctuate.

Do you know why the connection has synced in at 10.3mb? Is this all we are able to receive or is there a way to remedy this?

0 Likes

Message 14 of 19

Hi LewLou092817

Thanks for updating your Community Profile.

I can see that your line is in sync at 10.3mb. There are a very high number of re connections on the line and this can affect the sync speed.

Is the connection dropping or has the router been rebooted?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 15 of 19

@Chris-TalkTalk I have now updated the page with the details requested. I hope this helps you to identify my account and look into this. Thanks.

@AllyM We were not missold Fibre 65 as it said we could have 40-65mbps which is more than Fibre 35 offers. I only mentioned the lower end of this as the upper end seemed irrelevant when we were not even receiving our guaranteed minimum. Sorry if this seemed misleading.

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 16 of 19

Hi LewLou092817,

If you still need assistance can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Chris

AllyM
Insightful One
Message 17 of 19

First of all, if you were quoted a maximum potential speed of 40Mbps then I would say you were probably mis-sold the Fibre65 package. Fibre35 delivers speeds up to a limit of 40Mbps, so there doesn't seem much benefit in your having Fibre65 (which removes the 40Mbps cap) if your line can't support speeds faster than that anyway.

Is this a new line installation or did you switch to TalkTalk from another ISP?

If you switched from another ISP what service did you have from them, Fibre or ADSL?

Have you logged into the router and checked the DSL stats to see what the sync speed and connection type is?

With speeds of around 9Mbps I'm wondering if you have been put on (or are still on) an ADSL service rather than Fibre (VSDL).

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 18 of 19

Hi @LewLou092817,

If you log into your router to check your sync speed does this also show a low speed (i.e. not much higher than 10mbps) ?

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

The staff here won't be around now until Monday, but they should be able to respond to this post early next week to help.