FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Firmware version SG4K100130 not working with openvpn client

Kevin_1
Popular Poster
Message 15 of 15

My firmware was upgraded last night to version SG4K100130 and now I cant use my openvpn client to connect to my work services!!

There appears to be no information on the new firmware version and I have no idea how to get the client to work!!

Frustrated to say the least

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

Message 1 of 15

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the update. Our team are still investigating this at the moment.

Thanks

Message 2 of 15

Hi,

I have just replaced the router with the new one sent out, this one has the older SG4K10001400t firmware installed and everything (so far) appears to be working as it did previously.

VPN and broadband software all working as they did previously without issue.

Appreciate the quick sending out of the replacement hub as it will allow me to get on with my work without issues and amending FW rules and the likes.

Before turning off the old router I did try and experiment with some more generic FW rules (any/any) but that didn't make any difference.

It's a shame as the new firmware seemed to be more responsive but breaking my basic access wasn't a good result.

Message 3 of 15

Morning,

Thanks for the PM. I've passed this information over to our Products Team and will let you know as soon as I know more.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 15

Hi

I cannot roll back the firmware, so I'll get a router out to you with the previous firmware.

If you can drop me a PM with the names of the monitoring software you use etc, I can pass that to our product team to see if they can see any specific issues or conflicts.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Kevin_1
Popular Poster
Message 5 of 15

Hi,

I need to revert the new firmware to a previous version as it's causing me all sorts of FW grief and I don't have the time to be debugging all my traffic ?

Can I just download an install the older version?

Message 6 of 15

The monitoring software is a Linux based ookla client and I use the Speedtest app on the iPhone from the App Store.

the issue seems to be that the new firmware firewall service now requires explicit rules to allow clients to connect out onto the internet and in some cases two way rules to allow the return traffic.

prior to the new firmware things just worked, I do have some FW rules defined for certain outgoing and incoming services but they were working fine until now.

I managed to get the work vpn stuff going by setting up some very specific rules, also for the Speedtest stuff but that will break if I had to choose a new remote test site.

I haven’t been able to figure out nordvpn or the CoD:Mobile access so far.

Message 7 of 15

Hi,

Our team have asked if you could provide a bit more information about the monitoring service, is this a specific website/service that you use? What do you use to run the speed test from your phone?

Thanks

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 8 of 15

Hi Kevin,

I'm sorry for the delay. Our Products Team are investigating and I've passed your additional feedback over now. I will post back as soon as I know more.

Thanks

Message 9 of 15

Ok,

So this new firmware appears to have broken other functionality that makes calls externally!!,

For example I have a service setup that monitors the broadband upload\download performance once per hour and collects the data for graphing this stopped working after the firmware was updated!

Trying to run the speedtest app from my phone fails - complains about internet access!

There is clearly more going wrong here than just my VPN, I should have issues making outgoing requests to services.

Update: Also broke Call of Duty Mobile!

Update : Also NordVPN client!

Message 10 of 15

Hi

I've passed this to our Devices product manager to have a look at.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Kevin_1
Popular Poster
Message 11 of 15

So it looks like the new firmware is blocking my laptop from sending outgoing vpn connections to the remote servers, I have just added an open port rule and I can now connect to the VPN server, this however is not ideal as I would like to tie the FW rules down to specific ports/protocols rather than some open less secure approach.

New FW rule is

From <Laptop> to <VPN Server> on port 0/<Protocol Both> (port 0 = any port)

I didn't need these rules before so any ideas whats best for openvpn client to external vpn server rules?

1: Update I change protocol to UDP only and this still works so just need to know what outgoing ports are required in FW rules, I tried adding the specific VPN server UDP port but that didn't allow traffic to flow through.

Message 12 of 15

Updated

0 Likes

Kevin_1
Popular Poster
Message 13 of 15

Profile updated

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 14 of 15

Hi Kevin,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name

• Telephone number

• Alternative contact number

•  

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

0 Likes