FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Router/disconnecting

ttcustomer999
Popular Poster
Message 15 of 15

My internet conection, since I installed the new TalkTalk router, has dropped in and out repeatedly, often many times each hour. As far as I can see, the router's blue light has remained on throughout. 

My own router was a Netgear AC1200 WiFi MODEL D6100. That had no problems at all.

Then out of the blue I received a TalkTalk router with a warning that my services might not work unless I changed over to the new router.

I did so, and this necessitated reconfiguring serveral other devices, such as security cameras.

Since then I've had endless drop-outs of connection. I usually get either 'The DNS server isn't responding' or 'DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG'.

I've tried troubleshooting. I've tried re-starting the router. I've gone through the Command Prompts for flushing and renewing DNS. Nothing has worked.

After contacting TalkTalk via Twitter I was told, eventually, the problem was me not having a fibre connection. So I was upgraded to a fibre connction and told there would be no more problems.

I had about one day of apparently stable connection before it all started again, but this time, if anything, even worse, with the connection cutting out repeatedly. My attempt to log in to TalkTalk was interrupted five times, and once I was logged in I couldn't connect to online chat. [I've only managed to post this because I pre-typed it offline.]

I really cannot tolerate these repeated interruptions. I'm working online every day and at the moment I cannot function.

I could reconnect to my old router but that will involve restoring other devices to factory status in ordr to reconfigure them, and I don't want to do that unless I know I won't have to use yet anothr router shortly after.

So can you please sort this out once and for all? Things were working perfectly well until TalkTalk intervened and insisted I use its new router, and it's wrecked my working days.

14 REPLIES 14

ttcustomer999
Popular Poster
Message 1 of 15

An update:

As you can see from the posts above, we sought help, starting a couple of weeks ago, when the new router seemed to trigger connection problems. Without making any real progress with that, two Wednesdays ago, our broadband and landline phone connection suddenly went dead.

We then, out of panic, went off and paid for an hour’s unprotected connection via a BT hotspot (which itself kept cutting out) in order to report the problem. That’s when it really started to feel as though we were being sucked down the rabbit hole into the realm of madness, because, in spite of us making it clear we would not, from this point on, be online, all subsequent responses (we later discovered) were sent online.

I mean, surely you can read and understand the warning: ‘We’re not online and our phone is dead’? Surely that ought to make you think that you have a customer who urgently needs practical help? Surely you’d think that they’re waiting for assistance?

Nothing happened. Days went by. Nothing. We were left completely in the dark: were TalkTalk concerned? Were they doing something? Were they actually assuming that our silence spelt contentment? The latter, it seems, was how it was.

On Monday, after getting a friend to intervene online, something actually happened. A fault, our friend was told, had been spotted away from our home and an engineer was dealing with it. Normal connections would be up and working, it was said, within two days. Please be patient.

So two days later, on Wednesday: nothing. Still a dead landline, still no broadband.

We borrowed another friend’s smartphone (I know it’s considered incomprehensible these days not to own a mobile, but some of us, shock horror, still don’t) and called TalkTalk – only to get a message saying all was fine. So we called again and, eventually, finally got through (just about – why are a telecommunications company’s phone-lines so bad?) to a human being.

‘The problem has been solved and your case is now marked as closed,’ she said, with an air of cold finality. Well, we said, it clearly hasn’t been solved! It has, she assured us. Incredible!

You’d surely think, at least if you’re an outsider, that, after the basic tests don’t identify and solve the problem for a customer, they’d send someone out to investigate. But no. That doesn’t appear to make ‘Sense-Sense’ for TalkTalk. Like the definition of insanity, the TalkTalk method seems to be limited to trying the same things over and over again but expecting a different outcome.

So we had to go through it all yet again: the landline is dead; the router is blinking; there is no broadband.

‘Have you reset the router?’ Yes, we said, and we’ve tried a different router, and we’ve tried different cables, and different devices, and different phones, and we’ve just tried the phone cable alone in the socket. Everything is dead. Everything is still dead.

After lots of silences and more questions to which we had already answered, she came up with something new.

She told us to unscrew the box at the wall. It was clearly a very old box, which had not been touched for at least twenty years, behind a heavy cupboard, and we were wary about touching something that we weren’t qualified to touch, but she was insistent. ‘We’re not engineers,’ we protested. ‘We cannot proceed until you do this,’ she snapped. So we told her it would take a while to move the furniture and we’d have to call back.

When we called back, about an hour later, all of that appeared irrelevant as, with another person now responding to us, we were dragged right back to the beginning: ‘Nothing wrong with our tests…Are you online now…is the router turned on…is your phone off the hook…Is your computer turned on…Are the cables plugged in…It should be working…Is the router on…’ etc etc.

We tried yet again to ask for proper, practical, urgent help. It had been eight days offline, eight days without a phone connection.

Still, however, the repetitious questions continued: ‘Have you checked the cables…Is any device online…Is the router turned on…’

About two hours in, and after yet another prolonged silence as they spoke to their superior (or just took a bathroom break – who knows?), the person went yet again into laboured instructions for how to reset our router to factory condition. ‘We’ve already done that!’ we exclaimed for the umpteenth time. ‘And how will that fix a dead landline?’

No reaction. Just a new question: ‘Do you have an internet cable?’ ‘You mean the one already connected?’ we asked. Again, no direct response, just a repetition of the question: ‘Do you have an internet cable?’ So we said, presuming he didn’t mean the cable that we’d already said was in place: ‘Do you mean the Ethernet cable?’ He merely said, with a patronising sigh, ‘I’ll have to talk my superior about how to explain this in a simpler manner’.

Customers, eh? What idiots they are!

He returned to announce cheerfully that TalkTalk would be sending us an internet cable. ‘Wait,’ we cried. ‘We HAVE an internet cable! Why do you think an extra internet cable is going to restore broadband and fix a dead landline???’

We pointed out for what felt like the hundredth time: we’ve been offline, with a dead landline, for EIGHT days. Meetings have been cancelled, masses of messages left unreplied, deadlines missed, and bills delayed being paid. Work on several projects have stalled. PLEASE take this problem seriously and send out an engineer!

‘Do you have a laptop? What edition of Windows is it?’ ‘How is this going to get the connection back and fix a dead landline??? We’ve said time and again that every device is showing no connection!’

We tried a different tack: ‘Forget for a moment that we have broadband, or a router or any devices. Forget all of that. Just concentrate on the telephone landline. It’s dead. It’s absolutely, stone-cold, dead!’

‘Is the internet cable-’ PLEASE don’t start about the cable again!

‘Please be patient,’ we were told, once again, ‘I need to talk to my superior’.

We’d actually, up until now, managed not to ‘shoot the messenger’ and repress the positively volcanic impulse to shout very, very loudly. We never normally argue with anyone. We’re usually almost preternaturally polite, calm and understanding. Honest! But this was sheer torture.

When he returned, he’d apparently given up on the whole thing and suddenly announced that, as one of us had ‘failed’ one of the security questions (God knows which one and why) we’d been asked about an hour ago, which he’d said at the time were ‘fine,’ TalkTalk could not help us. We should, he said, ‘Go online to the account’.

We were, by now, absolutely furious. ‘GO ONLINE???’ Why would we be asking for help with a non-existent problem? Why would we be wasting our own time? Why would we not have checked the obvious possibilities? Why were we sounding so desperately upset?

Cue a sigh and yet more questions we’d already answered.

My partner, by this time, had gone outside, sobbing - literally sobbing with frustration. I felt like doing so, too.

Kafka, you should have lived long enough to experience TalkTalk – you’d have written a whole series of stories about this company. Or hanged yourself. One of the two.

After one more cycle of robotic Q&A, we made it crystal clear just what we’d do if an engineer wasn’t dispatched. ‘Let me talk to my superior,’ we were told. Again.

After yet another long, long, silence – we actually feared they’d hung up – he was back. ‘Good news,’ he said. A fault had been detected outside our home and therefore TalkTalk ‘are obliged’ to arrange for a BT OpenReach engineer to deal with it.

So how was this fault, after supposedly multiple ‘definitive’ tests, suddenly, finally, detected? My guess is the ‘superior’ just decided that we were the kind of pests who would never otherwise go away.

By this stage, after about two and a half hours of torture posing as ‘customer service,’ we were simply relieved to get the simple common sense response that should have happened eight days before. I have never felt so physically and mentally shattered after a phone call. No customer should have to go through this kind of ordeal.

The following day, Friday August 27th, the ninth day without broadband or a landline, an OpenReach engineer arrived. He was friendly, concerned and efficient, and didn’t treat us as if we were two raving mad people. We felt like hugging him. In an hour or so, we had broadband again, and a landline again.

Who would have thought it: we really had been off line for nine days! Does that finally make SenseSense, TalkTalk?

In even a slightly, grudgingly, decent commercial world, we would expect to receive a prompt and heartfelt apology, and to have those nine days of complete and utter non-service deducted from our bill, along with a bit more for all the hell that we were put through. Are we holding our breath for that? Nope.

Finally, at the end (at least we hope it’s the end) of this saga, a message to the unnourished seed that is TalkTalk Customer Service: stop hiding from your customers, and introduce a much better phone helpline, a properly functioning online chat line, and a simple and straightforward online contact form. Be active rather than passive when someone asks for help, and, please, abandon the default assumption that, if you can’t immediately identify a reported problem, your customers are hopeless idiots who must have done something wrong at their end.

As for us, we’re cancelling our account as soon as possible (and, in case you're tempted to keep posting patronising responses, we're not visiting this 'community' any more). And if anyone ever asks us about TalkTalk, we’ll tell them to avoid it at all costs.

You’ve been an absolute disgrace.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 15

Hi

We are an online function only and will only respond via this channel. 

The customer has contacted our customer teams directly and a fault has been logged to Openreach for investigation.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

temp555
First Timer
Message 3 of 15

Why are you asking questions online to someone who has clearly said they're OFF line? I'm a friend - they asked be to see what's happening on here - and this couple have had no broadband or phone for five days and it's STILL the case and all you seem to be doing is contacting them where they can't be contacted. 

THEY ARE OFFLINE.

Have you grasped that yet?

THEY ARE OFFLINE. 

Got it?

You provide the service, they are your customer - DO SOMETHING!

Message 4 of 15

Hi

All tests are clear and I can now see a router connected.

Can you access  the internet now ?  Is the phone line still dead or has a dialtone returned ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

ttcustomer999
Popular Poster
Message 5 of 15

Pity I won't be online to use Chat and my telephone line is dead!

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 6 of 15

I'm afraid there won't be any support from TalkTalk staff until the morning now, the staff here on the community should be able to pick this up to help more tomorrow. You may get faster support from the live chat or calling customer services on 0345 172 0088 during opening hours tomorrow.

0 Likes

ttcustomer999
Popular Poster
Message 7 of 15

Tried to test the connection via my account. It says it doesn't recognise the router. It's a TalkTalk router! We have no internet or phone access tonight - this BT connection is just for an hour. Really angry.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 8 of 15

Hi @ttcustomer999,

If the phone line has gone dead then that would certainly suggest the fault is not with the router, but is a line fault.

It would be worth going to the Service Centre to run a connection test on your line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault affecting your service. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site. If this detects a clear fault it can automatically arrange an engineer.

If your master phone socket has a test socket then you could also try the router in there, that would then eliminate any of the phone wiring in your home as being a possible cause of the problem.

The TalkTalk staff on this community will be able to help further, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.

Also, just a point about having to change all of your devices when/if you get a new router. You could potentially avoid having to do that by just logging into the new router and changing the wireless SSID and password to the same as your old router, then your devices won't know anything has changed and will just be able to connect to your new router with the same details as they were using for your old router.

If you have now been upgraded to Fibre your old Netgear will no longer work, a Fibre connection is VDSL2, your Netgear only supports ADSL (not VDSL) and so will not work on a Fibre connection.

ttcustomer999
Popular Poster
Message 9 of 15

URGENT:

At about 4.30pm today my connection cut out and my landline went dead. I'm using a one hour BT connection to post this message, I cannot otherwise get online. PLEASE investigate and reconnect me asap - I am completely cut off.

0 Likes

ttcustomer999
Popular Poster
Message 10 of 15

In answer to your question about a replacement router,  to be honest, I don't know. It depends if this is really likely to solve the problem. If not, we will have had to wipe clean, reconnect and reconfigure several other devices (cameras, etc)  from factory settings in order to connect them to yet another new network, possibly for no positive result.

We've already had to this once when we first got the new router, once when we reverted to the old router and once when we were urged to reinstall the new router. I hope you can appreciate we're VERY wary about doing that again unless the probability of a solution is genuinely high.

I can see now that several other customers are reporting similar problems. Just in the last half hour, our connection has cut out at least six times for about two or three minutes at a time. It really is exasperating.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 15

Hello,

Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out? We would also send a router returns bag so that one of the routers can be returned.

Thanks

0 Likes

ttcustomer999
Popular Poster
Message 12 of 15

Router device version DG804TW-2T5. 

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 13 of 15

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this. I can't connect to your router. Which router is currently connected? Just to confirm, which router were you sent? (make and model)

Thanks

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 14 of 15

It's essential that you complete your community forum profile details, @ttcustomer999. Without this, staff can't identify your account. 

They will reply on this thread, but you need to add your Talktalk landline number by going via your avatar/name; settings; launch profile wizard. 

Your thread is in the queue for attention. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes