FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New router today

Downtharoad
Chatterbox
Message 12 of 12

Hi,

I'd like the latest update package for my new router currently running version SG4K10001400t

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 12

Hi Downtharoad,

Unfortunately we can't provide the firmware, we would have to update the FW for you manually or it should update overnight if TR069 is enabled.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 12

I know there isn't anything "in the wild" that anyone has found I just like to minimise as much risk as possible but thank you for the information regarding the times the devices are updated.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 12

@martswainthe tinfoil hat I am wearing is custom made and it hasn't let me down yet, I'm not touchy I just don't like it when good companies such as talktalk ship out of date devices .. it gives me indigestion that's all especially since the router still doesn't have updated SSL certificates.

Personally I've never had an issue with talktalk at all but I feel they could do better regarding their home routers.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 12

@Downtharoad  why so touchy ?

As @ferguson  says, you either live with it or buy a third-party device and fiddle away to your heart's desire.

@Downtharoad  I hope the tin foil hat isn't too uncomfortable, LOL !

0 Likes

Message 5 of 12

Most independent router providers have downloadable router upgrades. Most major ISPs in-house routers do not. That is the way things are.

TR-069 is not in itself a security vulnerability, it is the transport protocols that need to be robust. There is no indication that the TalkTalk protocols are in any way insecure.

Updates are usually pushed out during the quiet hours, between around 2:00 and 5:00 AM, to minimise disruption. 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 12

"it's always been that way"

Many other companies especially the companies that make routers even for consumers allow the option to download firmware and update through the admin panel on the device, because that's what the update firmware page is for.

Its for tech savvy home users to actually update it manually so they can be in control of when the update is done and not wait around on a company that could take hours or even days when it literally would take less than an hour.

And your attempt at trying to insult me with your sarcasm is nothing but amusing since 1: I am quite knowledgable when it comes to computers and 2: Since the routers (or at least previous talktalk routers) are based on open source there should be an option for the end user to update the firmware manually.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 12

It's is and has always been that way.

I guess it's because there is less chance of it getting messed up by the tech-savvy brigade that think they know what they are doing.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 12

What you mean is I have no choice but to sacrifice security because the tech team at talktalk won't give out their firmware updates as packages to tech savvy users for what reasons.

what time does the update usually go through ?

0 Likes

Message 9 of 12

No.

The firmware upgrade is only available when connected and TR-069 enabled.

It cannot be downloaded as a file.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 12

Is there no chance of being able to do this by myself the reason being is I disable port 7547 or TR-069 for security reasons and I don't feel comfortable opening it back up for the entire night or sitting here until the update is processed so I can turn it back off again then go to sleep.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 11 of 12

It should update automatically overnight. 

0 Likes