FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to TalkTalk and connection unreliable

prchew
Popular Poster
Message 16 of 16

Hi,

I am hoping you can help.

I move to TalkTalk approx 3-4 weeks ago from Virgin and I really disappointed with the reliability of the connection.  I am working from home full time at the moment spending most of the day on MS Team calls and I have had so many issues of poor audio and dropped calls, this never used to happen with Virgin and it doesn't happen to my colleagues.  I should also add I am hardwired to the router so it isn't a wifi issue.

Is TalkTalk generally just unreliable or is there a problem with my connection?

Thanks

Paul

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

Don't worry about this.  I explained the (well know) issue clearly and I have served notice under my 30 day great connection guarantee and I am moving supplier.

Thanks

Paul

0 Likes

Message 2 of 16

Hi prchew,

Thanks for running the speed test, the speed is a bit low in comparison to sync speed. Line test is showing some disconnections on the 14th, 15th and 19th, do you remember if your rebooted the router on these days?

How many telephone sockets do you have? Do you have anything connected to your telephone socket(s) in addition to your router?

Does your master socket have a Test Socket?

Your upstream speed isn't great, unfortunately it may just be that there isn't enough upstream bandwidth for your requirements

Chris

Message 3 of 16

@Chris-TalkTalk 

As requested I have ran a talktalk speed test, this as expected gave me acceptable results (13 mbs) and I then tried to upload a file and run the speed test again but as explained I lose the internet across all devices for approx 5 minutes and I am then of course unable to access the page to run it again.  I tried this at around 6.50pm and finally managed to post this at around 7.30pm if you want to check logs.  I can still access the router admin page proving their is no issue with my local connection to the router.  I tried to attach some screenshots to this post but this also causes the same issue so I can't post them.

This behaviour is explained perfectly in the thread I highlighted in my earlier post and appears to be a known issue with the type of router.

Can you please call me if you would like any additional diagnostics as I need to get this resolved.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 16

@Chris-TalkTalk 

I can do but as I have said my problem isn't due to connection speeds, it is about the reliability of the connection and the issue of a dropped connection when uploading large files.  This is critical to me as I spend most of every day on video conferencing calls so even a drop out for a short period causes the call to degrade and be dropped.  I will do as you ask but I am nearing my 30 day cancellation period, can you extend this while investigating?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 16

Thanks for the information, can you run 3 speed tests at different times of day on the My Account speed checker on a device connected by Ethernet cable to your router (can you try to make sure that no other devices/applications accessing the internet at the time)

https://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/speed-checker/

Chris

Message 6 of 16

@Chris-TalkTalk 

No there are many devices connected spread across a family of 4 people all with phones, tablets, windows PC and a couple of Macs.  They are also connected in different ways with my PCs hardwired and the rest spread across 2.4 and 5g connections.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 16

OK thanks, was just one device connected to the internet when you experienced the freezing, or were other devices connected at the time?

Chris

Message 8 of 16

@Chris-TalkTalk 

No phone line seems fine. Had issues this morning with freezing and lost pings. 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 16

Thanks Paul, are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

Message 10 of 16

Hi @Chris-TalkTalk,

The same I am afraid.  While watching a film over the weekend there were several times when the connection went on a go slow introducing buffering for a minute or two before resuming.  My son is also banned from uploading to YouTube as this takes the connection offline for a couple of mins every time.

I have no doubt today that I will have problems with my MS Teams meetings as I do everyday and I suspect this may due to the use of video on the upload.

Thanks

Paul

0 Likes

Message 11 of 16

Hi Paul,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with your service. How has it been since your last post? Line history is showing that the connection has been stable for the last few days and speed looks OK

Chris

Message 12 of 16

Further to this this seems to perfectly describe my problem. 

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/DG8041W-router-disconnection-and-upload-issues-I...

Can you send me a replacement router as specified in that thread? I am also approaching my 30 day guarantee and so I would like this resolved before I lose the option to terminate.  I have also done a test by uploading a video to YouTube and can confirm I lose internet completely for approx. 5 mins. 

Thanks in advance for your help. 

Paul

Message 13 of 16

Also just tried the service status page and it says:

Your Router

We have not been able to identify your router or its software version

The rest is OK.

Thanks

Paul

0 Likes

Message 14 of 16

Thanks for your reply, I have updated my profile now.

I don't think the router drops the connection completely but instead pings seems to increase to 1s+ and the call gets dropped.  This only seems to last for about 20-30 seconds when I can reconnect but it happens multiple times a day.

Thanks

Paul

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 15 of 16

Hi @prchew ,

Have you noticed if the router is actually dropping its connection to the internet, or is it remaining connected but just not giving you the speeds you expect.

It would be worth going to the Service Centre to do a test on your phone line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault on your line. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

If you run a speed test does this give you the sort of speeds you expect based on the expected speeds TalkTalk would have quoted to you for your line ?

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

Then they will hopefully be able to respond to this post within a day or two.