FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No broadband orange flashing light

gary t1
Team Player
Message 58 of 58

My broadband has been off since mid afternoon.

I have an orange flashing light.

I've done the 30 Min unplugged I've also reset, all devices are connected but no internet.

I've done the online line test but just states problem is indoors, nothing has changed with the setup.

I've also tried a new filter.

Any advice would be helpful.

Tia

0 Likes
57 REPLIES 57

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 58

Hi gary,

Thanks for the update 🙂

Thanks

gary t1
Team Player
Message 2 of 58

hi all. everything has been running just fine, no problems at al, fingers crossed it stays that way.

thanks again everyone.

gary.............

Message 3 of 58

Thanks again Keith,

I'll see how it goes, all fine at the minute.

Channel 52 on 5ghz seems fine too.

Thanks, Gary.

Message 4 of 58

This is a fairly old network adapter, but if the 2.4GHz band behaves itself it should probably be OK. I did find a post on the internet where someone complains of it being slow & intermittent & the solution was to run the troubleshooter within windows for it, but so long as the driver is up to date, that is probably all you need to check.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 5 of 58

hi keith, the 2 graphs were a small snippet this afternoon, they don't correspond to the full drop outs.

wlan driver and interface are below.

wifi drivers 2020-08-13 152549.jpg

0 Likes

Message 6 of 58

I guess it all depends if the drop in the graph corresponds with the time of the problems that you are suffering from. The drops may differ on the Android if the X & Y axis of the graph are to a totally different scale.

It wouldn't do any harm to get some basics on the PC's network card, so from a command prompt on the PC please can you get me the output from these commands:-

netsh wlan show drivers

netsh wlan show interface

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 58

hi Keith, i didn't have the 2 analysers running together.

I've just done another one, the spike on the laptop is a lot greater than on the android.

Screenshot_2020-08-13-13-44-41-620.jpegAnnotation 2020-08-13 134655.jpg

gary..

0 Likes

Message 8 of 58

OK, that was worth checking but yes everything does look generally look OK. The dips in signal strength seen in acrylic, if you put the android analyser next to the PC, do you see dips at the same times there?

Keith

Message 9 of 58

Hi Keith, thank you for taking the time to look at the tests, very much appreciated.

I will change the 5ghz to channel 52 shortly and see how that goes.

Regarding the placement of the router.

1: the phone base station is a good distance away.

2: the large TV is around 2 mts, (wired)

3: no speakers other than the actual TV speaker.

4: no monitors at all

5: electrical items TV 2mts (wired), humax PVR 2 mts (wireless), PS4 (wired).

6: no Bluetooth 

7: no mirrors

8: no water

9: the router is on a window sill above a low radiator, we have no tower PCs, laptop 6 mts (wireless, no usb adaptor, internal wificWiFi in 5 year-old laptop)

10: see 9:

The house was new 20 years back and we had numerous phone extensions, on advice from here, 10 years or more back I removed all extensions except the one for the main phone, also removed all external  bell wires.

Ref the dips on 2.4ghz I left it running for an hour and there was a few sharp downward spikes.

I think or hope your saying all is relatively ok, I guess this wouldn't explain the overnight cut offs I've been experiencing.

I'll change the 5ghz to channel 52 as I've said, should i the 2.4ghz on channel 11?

Thanks again, I think I can only monitor the cut offs and check 192.168 and see what times the cut offs are or hopefully they'll be no more of them, I really do think it's to do with openreach and the work there doing directly around this area and the changing of Huawei boards to Nokia boards (this was my original problem) I think or hope they are resets of some type, the engineer half stated that you wouldn't necessarily see it at the talktalk end, whether this was just a line he was given I dont know but there have been lots of issues with other providers including sky and Plusnet.

Anyway, probably said enough, any other tips would be helpful.

(still on the older router) will change it if necessary, it's only a year old and same router as the new one.

Thank you.

Gary.

Message 10 of 58

Hi Gary,

Your 2.4GHz band has a lot of interfering signals in it but hopefully, you'll be just about OK as your signal is a lot stronger than the rest. Having said that, it could possibly be a bit stronger. The worrying thing is the sudden dip in signal strength at about 16:41:20 yesterday, although it only lasted a few seconds. This could be down to just about anything including your network card in the PC.

The 5GHz band could be improved a bit by moving to channel 52, with a couple of caveats:-

1. There will be no 5GHz signal at all broadcast from the router after applying this change for about 60 seconds.
  2. Not all devices will work on this channel. They are allowed to by the regulator but because it needs extra circuitry in the network adapter to work with channels 52 - 140, not all use them. You will just have to see.

Now to router location, but obviously, this is not always practical & a compromise has to be reached.

The general rule is to keep it away from:-

1. Cordless phone (DECT) base stations
  2. TVs
  3. Loudspeakers & any sub-woofers (including those used with a PC)
  4. Computer monitors
  5. Electrical appliances – they often transmit their own signals that can interfere with Wi-Fi signals.
  6. Bluetooth devices – they operate on the same Wi-Fi frequency as your broadband, which can cause signal problems.
  7. Mirrors – they actually reflect Wi-Fi signals, stopping them from passing through walls and reflecting them back into the room.
  8. Anything containing large amounts of water – things like fish tanks and boilers can absorb Wi-Fi signals like a sponge.
  9. Large metal objects – radiators, for instance, will have the same effect on your Wi-Fi as mirrors. If you have a tower PC case with an internal WiFi card, the metal of the case can block signals to & from the antennae if they are located behind the tower case.
  10. If you are using a USB Wi-Fi adapter, use a USB socket on the front of the PC, as there is more open space around it than at the rear. If a USB extension cable is used, try to ensure that it is fairly short, so as the power from the computer is not attenuated. Long extension cables can cause the adapter to not have enough power from the computer to work correctly.

As a very general rule, the signal travels best on the same floor as the router and to the floor below. It does not always propagate very well to a floor above the router. However, with more modern routers, if they have a higher specification, they may be able to get the signal upstairs OK, but your ability to receive it also depends on your device's network adapter being of a higher specification, as well as its age.

Keith

Message 11 of 58

Thanks Keith.

Message 12 of 58

The most likely reason is that the adaptor in your PC is not compatible with the 5GHz band. I'll look at the screenshots a bit later.

Keith

Message 13 of 58

@KeithFrench 

I've sent via message what I can from acrylic, I can't see the 5ghz and the quality one requires acrylic pro.

I've also sent hopefully all the correct screenshots from the android app you recommend.

I must be doing something wrong on acrylic but not sure what.

Regards,

Gary.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 58

ive downloaded acrylic and have it running but i cannot see my 5ghz.

gary...

0 Likes

Message 15 of 58

I will PM it to you now.

Keith

Message 16 of 58

hi keith, i dont now have an anaylser can you recommend one.

generally, whenever I've used 192.168 i do it on the laptop but more than happy to do it on the mobile.

ref your guide have you posted a link to it or sent it in a message, i cant see it anywhere.

thanks, gary.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 58

Can you send me the following screenshots from you analyser, so as I can check them for you? Not knowing the nalyser you used I cannot be more precise:-

AP View

2.4GHz Channels (with your network name highlighted)

5GHz channels (with your network name highlighted)

Signal strength/time graph (leave running for r mins before taking a screenshot)

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 18 of 58

Hi Keith, white light is solidly on.

I am currently and have been for a year or so using method one, where can identify which of 2.5ghz or 5ghz I want to join with WiFi.

I have (I think) prior to 2 weeks ago used some less used channel ranges that I'd found with an app, where you checki neighbors channels,it was explained on here at some point.

I'm probably explaining this all wrong but hopefully you'll understand

Gary.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 58

Thanks Debbie.

Hi Gary,

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

The TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub is a dual-band router & offers both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. These can be split into two if required, to do this, log into the router (http://192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" and use the unique router password (see the label on the rear of the router at the top).

Go to:-
Dashboard > See Wi-Fi Settings > Manage Advanced Settings > Wi-Fi 5Ghz gear icon > Basic

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "SSID" field. Then click "Apply".

This will not fix your issues, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

Having said that, there is another approach which can be better, which is to use Band Steering. This will automatically move any 5G compatible device connected to the 2.4G band to the 5GHz band. To use this facility on the Wi-Fi Hub, leave both network names identical.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

Message 20 of 58

Hi Gary and Keith

I've checked the connection stats and it looks stable, there some re connects but Gary has advised that the router has been rebooted.

Thanks

Debbie